Page 88 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 880 of 1820

Thread: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

  1. #871
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    What great way to kept them out of your town, just increase the minimum wage.


    Attachment 67150149

    Walmart says it will cancel its plans to build three new stores in D.C. if local lawmakers approve a bill that would force the retailer to pay its employees at least $12.50 an hour.

    Alex Barron, a regional general manager for Walmart U.S., writes in an op-ed published in the Washington Post Tuesday that the company feels the D.C. Council's proposed "living wage" legislation “would clearly inject unforeseen costs into the equation that will create an uneven playing field and challenge the fiscal health of our planned D.C. stores.”

    Walmart currently has three other new stores under construction in the area, and Barron says those stores will also be jeopardized if the bill passes.


    Read more: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes | Fox News
    Practical question: What will they do with the buildings should they decide to not open the stores?

    They could simply leave them empty, but I don't see that happening.

    They could be even more aggressive than usual in their predatory pricing to drive others out of business, then raise prices more than usual to cover the cost of the extra wages. They can afford to do that. Yeah, that'll help the community.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #872
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    It does make perfect sense if shrinking the job pool doesn't bother you.
    I already documented how WM shrinks the job market, it is not due to their efforts to increase min wage.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #873
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,967

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Does your argument then become nothing more than "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need"?
    It's not my argument, merely what I assume their logic to be. You would have to ask them that question.

  4. #874
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    Isn't the principal advantage of a big-box enterprise the economy of scale? Wal*Mart has over decades proven its ability to exploit that advantage to the max. Those other things are minor details.
    I know, overall employment....is a minor detail!

    FFS.

    Economies of scale are marginally better for prices on the retail level, they negatively effect employment.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 07-14-13 at 05:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #875
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    Would those food stamp costs decrease if Wal*Mart disappeared?
    Yes, since retail employment would be higher with higher wages, decreasing SNAP dependency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #876
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    It's not my argument, merely what I assume their logic to be. You would have to ask them that question.
    I see. So you are not a Marxist yourself.

  7. #877
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,689

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Practical question: What will they do with the buildings should they decide to not open the stores?

    They could simply leave them empty, but I don't see that happening.

    They could be even more aggressive than usual in their predatory pricing to drive others out of business, then raise prices more than usual to cover the cost of the extra wages. They can afford to do that. Yeah, that'll help the community.
    They did that here in Michigan - simply left empty buildings when moving to bigger ones. The buildings were left to deteriorate, weeds infesting the parking lot, and it became eyesores in the community.

    Sure, they have for sale signs up but in Michigan in this economy, such availability is more common that tatoos in a prison.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #878
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,748
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    The claim from you has continually been that they benefit the poor, which included arguments on employment. As I showed, WM has a negative effect on ALL employment within the community.




    You are just going in circles, I already documented the effect WM has on manufacturing, I documented the effect WM has on employment.

    All you have you have is a cynical argument on price....but you ignore the cost.
    You have documented only claims about employment and manufacturing, neither of which relates to any point I made in any case. My point was and remains that Wal-Mart serves well those downscale consumers ignored by others. Self-styled "progressives" sacrifice the interests of those downscale consumers in order to thump their own chests about their superior social consciences. Hypocrisy in full flower.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #879
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,748
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    ...which is documented in the case of WM....but not of "others".

    And you know this how?
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #880
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,748
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Wow, speaks volumes.
    I hope so.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •