Page 86 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 1820

Thread: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

  1. #851
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by wbcoleman View Post
    The minimum wage reduces competition from lower cost labor.
    To Union labor? Those earning minimum wage are unskilled, they are hardly in competition for Union jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #852
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Minimum wage earners often shop at down scale department stores, Walmart being a good example.
    A nonsequitur, again, if you have no job by being displaced from a walmart, what price they offer is pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #853
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    How is that unethical? Company officers would be derelict in their fiduciary duty if they did not take advantage of available benefits.
    I consider it unethical to take advanatge of government subsidies that allow the business to underpay their employees. It is screwing the general public over for the benefit of the business owners.

  4. #854
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Wal-Mart bears only miniscule responsibility for job losses, when set in the context of the entire economy,
    You can change the goal posts as much as you like, the point you are conceding is that WM has a negative effect on retail employment.

    This, in combination with the negative effect WM has on US manufacturing, again shows that these tiny, marginal "price savings" have a very great cost.

    A cynic is a person who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #855
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,159

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    The residents of a north central Austin TX. neighborhood decided they were too good to have a proposed WM store near them. They protested, marched, put up signs, held sit-ins, etc. for months.

    Walmart had planned to build an up-scale two story store with an adjacent parking garage.

    What they got was one of the smallest, non-assuming WM store in TX. 8)

  6. #856
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,837
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I consider it unethical to take advanatge of government subsidies that allow the business to underpay their employees. It is screwing the general public over for the benefit of the business owners.
    Then it's government's responsibility to change the rules.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #857
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,837
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You can change the goal posts as much as you like, the point you are conceding is that WM has a negative effect on retail employment.

    This, in combination with the negative effect WM has on US manufacturing, again shows that these tiny, marginal "price savings" have a very great cost.

    A cynic is a person who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.
    Regarding retail employment, there's nothing to concede; I don't recall anyone claiming otherwise. An effect on manufacturing, however, is fantasy. Wal-Mart is a symptom of manufacturing's departure, not a cause. Wal-Mart's price and choice benefits are significant and widely felt. Like all drivers of increased efficiency and productivity, Wal-Mart enriches the whole society.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #858
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    When you present statistical evidence that felonies are more common among Wal-Mart managers than among other retailers' officers then you can proceed with that argument.
    Funny, I would think the standard would be WM own internal ethical standards. Not to mention that since what is not known cannot be compared to what is known, the idea that I could prove something without evidence is a pointless exercise.

    But again, something tells me you don't know the issue I am referring to....it wasn't "managers" that were bribing.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #859
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,837
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Funny, I would think the standard would be WM own internal ethical standards. Not to mention that since what is not known cannot be compared to what is known, the idea that I could prove something without evidence is a pointless exercise.

    But again, something tells me you don't know the issue I am referring to....it wasn't "managers" that were bribing.
    I actually don't care to what you were referring. I'm confident there have been episodes of Wal-Mart misbehavior. I'm confident there have been episodes of misbehavior in all companies. Unless you can demonstrate that Wal-Mart is a statistical outlier, the appropriate response is to ask: "So what?"
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  10. #860
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    The area grocery store did that here in Ohio. They yanked their normal name stored and replaced it with the bargain version, drove the competition out, and the brought back their normal name.

    I think everyone learned that trick from the Japanese import dump of the 50s.
    Most people don't realize... or don't want to admit... that many large retailers do this as a matter of standard operating procedure. But when it's Walmart everybody gets all worked up about it because Walmart is the big bad boogeyman.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •