Page 62 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 1820

Thread: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

  1. #611
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    I'm not going to chime in about the bill itself, but I think that if the locally owned business can deal with the hike, Wal-Mart can. Just a guess though.
    Maybe you should chime in as the new bill is targeted at specific businesses not your average local business...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #612
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Can you expand on that?
    There are tens of thousands of businesses around the country that pay minimum wage. Should they all be vilified, or just Walmart?

  3. #613
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,345

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Tie maximum wage to minimum wage (I have read a couple of discussions on this and the consensus is that no one in a corporation should make more than 15X the minimum wage being paid by the corporation.) and we will all have to pay more for our goods and services but eliminating the government as the wealth distributor via entitlements should be far less than what we pay in taxes now.
    I have also seen arguments that state that increasing the minimum wage is a losing proposition--the reason being that everything is going to cost more, so while there will be people with more money in their pocket, it's only until they go shopping for anything.

    In a thousand years, I don't envision corporations agreeing to limit their salary range to 15x the minimum wage! Why should they? They will doubtless all relocate offshore instead, and only become wealthier in the process, IMO.

  4. #614
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    I'm not going to chime in about the bill itself, but I think that if the locally owned business can deal with the hike, Wal-Mart can. Just a guess though.
    Locally owned businesses are immune to the hike. Only large retail chains are affected.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  5. #615
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Locally owned businesses are immune to the hike. Only large retail chains are affected.
    Well then I stand corrected. My apologies.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  6. #616
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,837
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Um, no, it is substantiated in fact.

    Denial is not a counter to fact.
    I'd be delighted for you to show how it is "substantiated in fact."
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #617
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Maybe you should chime in as the new bill is targeted at specific businesses not your average local business...
    I was just informed about not fully understanding the bill. My apologies.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  8. #618
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    We've also all seen the comparisons between Wal-Mart based employees (Sam's Club) and Costco based employees and the how Wal-Mart pays federal minimum wage to their employees and sees a sliver of the profit per employee that Costco sees from their higher paid and well compensated workers.
    Costco hires far fewer workers and purposely loses money on their sales, but makes up for it in membership fees. If you want fewer people employed, then sure, let's have everyone follow Costcos business model.

  9. #619
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    I'd be delighted for you to show how it is "substantiated in fact."
    I wouldn't, but hey, to each his own. Good afternoon 2m...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #620
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, you are wrong for the same reasons already stated, when the jobs leave the country and wages do not keep pace, you end up with a lower and lower bar. It is a race to the bottom, we have been experiencing it for decades.
    Okay. Wages suck because kids in Malaysia make our wife-beater Ts. Why they didn't cover that when I was at Foster (UW) is a mystery to me.

    Now then, back to market dynamics and economics not taught on Limbaugh's radio program: value-chain. You spend a buck. Where's it distributed? Mostly us, paying folks here, to get it from port into the nifty little bag, which you should recycle, cuz we Libbies get all lovey dovey about. Plus, units rule, since it takes folks to move more products, unit wise. And a refer made here, which at end user level, might be $3000 at the lower end, sell about 1/3 as many units as one selling for $1100, made in South Korea, and being pretty amazing good. So great. A manufacturing worker gets a job, but fewer truckers, warehouse, stockers, retailers are needed, further down the value chain. It's a net loss in jobs.

    Plus, the notion that somehow manufacturing jobs are the ultimate, is pure nonsense. They made squat too, until unions forced more pay for the same work, and now they have paychecks local businesses and markets had come to rely on. Pay service workers the same, and bingo, problem solved, and we have tons of them -- and they cannot be outsourced!!!!

    Glory Days 2.0, only more glorious.

    In short, you're value is not what you do; its' what you make (and spend, into our economy).

    Simple truth.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •