Page 61 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 1820

Thread: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

  1. #601
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Petersburg
    Last Seen
    10-06-16 @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,875

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Blaxshep, your argument is not with me. I agree with you. So how do we provide those jobs that pay a living wage, when businesses are apprehensive about their future?
    Tie maximum wage to minimum wage (I have read a couple of discussions on this and the consensus is that no one in a corporation should make more than 15X the minimum wage being paid by the corporation.) and we will all have to pay more for our goods and services but eliminating the government as the wealth distributor via entitlements should be far less than what we pay in taxes now.

  2. #602
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Petersburg
    Last Seen
    10-06-16 @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,875

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    For the life of me, if that is your beef, I can't understand the selective indignation.
    Can you expand on that?

  3. #603
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Hi, captainawesome.



    :
    Hi...

  4. #604
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Um, consumers benefit from buying domestic product by having the profits remain with the country.

    Allowing below cost products to gain market share destroys domestic manufacturing, wipes out domestic jobs. It is a race to the bottom that only benefits the international corporation.

    But being a libertarian, you are in favor of international corporations doing this.
    Not really. For starters, we're already about 90% of the value chain, even if the t-shirt is made in China. They produce for Pennies on the Dollar, compared to retail price. Check to see if companies like Walmart, Home Depot, etc, are turning a profit or merely transferring wealth to China.

    Moreover, consumers win with lower end-user prices. Plus employment is higher, since more units are sold driving higher employment in services, which cannot be outsourced. Pay a checkout person in Malaysia 25 cents a day, and it still doesn't ring up a purchase at Walmart in Gainesville Texas. So we're kicking but and taking names in service jobs, doing better all the time. Problem is, like manufacturing workers before unions demanded more pay for the same work, they're paid too little.

  5. #605
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What is in the best interest of the consumer? Paying more for a product or less? Like it or not, paying less at the store is in the interest of the consumer as it allows their income to go further. Besides, paying more at the store doesn't mean they will in turn be paid more, nor does it mean they will be able to buy as much as they could before, but then it doesn't mean they will be able to buy less automatically either. The fact is that for the consumer there is no reason to pay more when they could just as easily pay less. The fact is one of the keys to success is being able to provide a product for cheaper than your competitor.
    Ah, but it does mean that the manufacturing job remains in the US.

    We do not protect our domestic manufacturing, we allow international retailers/manufacturers to capture market share by undercutting domestic suppliers. This has happened for decades, fabric, radios, tv's, cars, optics, IC's....every industry has suffered the same fate because we allow the corporations to do this.

    Consumers do not make the best choice, often they make a choice against their own interests, especially when wages have not kept pace with productivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #606
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    Not really. For starters, we're already about 90% of the value chain, even if the t-shirt is made in China. They produce for Pennies on the Dollar, compared to retail price. Check to see if companies like Walmart, Home Depot, etc, are turning a profit or merely transferring wealth to China.

    Moreover, consumers win with lower end-user prices. Plus employment is higher, since more units are sold driving higher employment in services, which cannot be outsourced. Pay a checkout person in Malaysia 25 cents a day, and it still doesn't ring up a purchase at Walmart in Gainesville Texas. So we're kicking but and taking names in service jobs, doing better all the time. Problem is, like manufacturing workers before unions demanded more pay for the same work, they're paid too little.
    No, you are wrong for the same reasons already stated, when the jobs leave the country and wages do not keep pace, you end up with a lower and lower bar. It is a race to the bottom, we have been experiencing it for decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #607
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    post: Or from the other side of the aisle, like debating Lefties! :
    Doesn't wash, nor transpose. For example, have some folks show up and get Nobels, it's awash with Libbies.

    Then you go to a Special Olympics, and the only folks dumber than the athletes? Cons, 99% of the time.

    Not trying to pick on anyone. Merely keep it real.

  8. #608
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    I'm not going to chime in about the bill itself, but I think that if the locally owned business can deal with the hike, Wal-Mart can. Just a guess though.

    Edit: My apologies, I didn't understand the full content of the bill. Disregard the OP.
    Last edited by iacardsfan; 07-12-13 at 07:24 PM.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  9. #609
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Ah, but it does mean that the manufacturing job remains in the US.
    You're assuming we need to maintain these jobs. If you can outsource certain fields to focus your attention on other ventures it can only lead to growth of your economy. There is no reason to protect manufacturing when other parts of the world can handle those tasks for us. It's just a way to hold back the economy from growth and development.

    We do not protect our domestic manufacturing, we allow international retailers/manufacturers to capture market share by undercutting domestic suppliers. This has happened for decades, fabric, radios, tv's, cars, optics, IC's....every industry has suffered the same fate because we allow the corporations to do this.
    Why should we? If they can not compete with the world market why then should they survive?

    Consumers do not make the best choice, often they make a choice against their own interests, especially when wages have not kept pace with productivity.
    You're assuming that manufacturing jobs is in their interest.

  10. #610
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    We've also all seen the comparisons between Wal-Mart based employees (Sam's Club) and Costco based employees and the how Wal-Mart pays federal minimum wage to their employees and sees a sliver of the profit per employee that Costco sees from their higher paid and well compensated workers.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •