Page 52 of 182 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 1820

Thread: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

  1. #511
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    What great way to kept them out of your town, just increase the minimum wage.


    Attachment 67150149

    Walmart says it will cancel its plans to build three new stores in D.C. if local lawmakers approve a bill that would force the retailer to pay its employees at least $12.50 an hour.

    Alex Barron, a regional general manager for Walmart U.S., writes in an op-ed published in the Washington Post Tuesday that the company feels the D.C. Council's proposed "living wage" legislation “would clearly inject unforeseen costs into the equation that will create an uneven playing field and challenge the fiscal health of our planned D.C. stores.”


    Walmart currently has three other new stores under construction in the area, and Barron says those stores will also be jeopardized if the bill passes.




    Read more: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes | Fox News




    This comes as no surprise since Walmart is notorious for being opposed to wage increases; and I suspect that's more driven by wishing the market (continuing wage compression; lower consumer ability, per capita) to trend in a way that's most beneficial to them: people who make less shop at Walmart.

    And as for their threats of not expanding into markets that make them money, it's pure nonsense. They're expanding into my state (WA) and even into higher-wage areas with their Walmart Neighborhood Market concept, despite us having the highest MW in the nation at $9.19 and rising steadily.

    So in the end, whine as Walmart Execs might, they'll go where there's fruit to be picked. And with service workers in DC making $12+ an hour, that's some pretty low hanging fruit, with so many paycheck getting bigger, and consumers more able to spend. And they know it, too. So they'll build. Bank on it.

    Meanwhile, greetings ya'll. I'm new here because the Liberalforum.org URL seems to have gone away (I was Ayn Stein, there) and some new folks to chat it up with was needed in any event.

    Pleased to meet all ya'll.

    -S

  2. #512
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    It's anti freedom to not be able to restrict the freedoms of others???
    Pretend to not understand in another thread.

    In a free negotiation no one is forced to accept anything. The company can say no.

  3. #513
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Yep, and free riders who want the freedom not to pay union dues should also not be able to receive the benefits from a union. They have the freedom to pay their own fees for representation.
    That is government dictating terms. Just like dictating wage terms.

  4. #514
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Right wing logic.

    Government setting min wage is anti freedom of contract.

    Hey government needs to bar unions from negotiating closed shop.

    Herr derr

  5. #515
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,291
    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post

    Pretend to not understand in another thread.

    In a free negotiation no one is forced to accept anything. The company can say no.
    I understand you completely. You're only concerned about freedom as it pertains ro unions, so please stop pretending otherwise.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  6. #516
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    This comes as no surprise since Walmart is notorious for being opposed to wage increases; and I suspect that's more driven by wishing the market (continuing wage compression; lower consumer ability, per capita) to trend in a way that's most beneficial to them: people who make less shop at Walmart.

    And as for their threats of not expanding into markets that make them money, it's pure nonsense. They're expanding into my state (WA) and even into higher-wage areas with their Walmart Neighborhood Market concept, despite us having the highest MW in the nation at $9.19 and rising steadily.

    So in the end, whine as Walmart Execs might, they'll go where there's fruit to be picked. And with service workers in DC making $12+ an hour, that's some pretty low hanging fruit, with so many paycheck getting bigger, and consumers more able to spend. And they know it, too. So they'll build. Bank on it.

    Meanwhile, greetings ya'll. I'm new here because the Liberalforum.org URL seems to have gone away (I was Ayn Stein, there) and some new folks to chat it up with was needed in any event.

    Pleased to meet all ya'll.

    -S
    Welcome to DP Sisyphus. Great post.

  7. #517
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Welcome to DP Sisyphus. Great post.
    Thanks!

  8. #518
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,571

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    A funny thing like giving their constituents what they expect and/or want? Don't they know where their bread and butter comes from
    Is that what they are doing? I think they are just trying to make themselves look like heros because they are standing up to the evil WalMart. They don't care that their voters are paying higher prices, don't have a job, or have to drive out of town if they want to go to Walmart. As long as they get their low information vote,

  9. #519
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,571

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Yep, and free riders who want the freedom not to pay union dues should also not be able to receive the benefits from a union. They have the freedom to pay their own fees for representation.
    They don't want any union "benefits". They want a job without being forced to pay the union. They get paid the market rate for their job.

  10. #520
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    That is government dictating terms. Just like dictating wage terms.
    What? How is the government dictating terms to give employees the freedom to not have association with the union. If people don't want to belong to the union and therefore decide they are not going to pay union dues, then also let them have the freedom to represent themselves and not have the union be held liable to do that for them. Otherwise, they are nothing more than free loaders.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •