Page 168 of 182 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1820

Thread: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

  1. #1671
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonTania View Post
    Productivity is generally measured in monetary terms and in hours worked. Being among the richest nations is also measured in this fashion.

    That really doesn't tell you much in terms of how much employees are producing relative to how much they should be making.
    What it does tell us is that worker's have very little negotiating power. Competing organizations' power has all been squashed in the pass 30 or so years. No power means no setting standards. In our current environment, where worker insecurity is hitting many professions, people are afraid to negotiate with the boss for higher wages. Also, many corporations make higher profit by undercutting and/or outsourcing the employee(s).
    Last edited by rabbitcaebannog; 07-29-13 at 07:48 PM.

  2. #1672
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Given the extraordinary pressures on businesses to convert full time jobs to part time jobs isn't this one more argument for ending Obamacare?
    How about a VAT tax like other countries? It would make us more competitive on the global market.

  3. #1673
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Uh, as a nation we are broke. We are more bankrupt that Detroit. We can never cover our federal unfunded liabilities. Never.
    What does that have to do with wages?

  4. #1674
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    How about a VAT tax like other countries? It would make us more competitive on the global market.
    It would just make the stuff we buy more expensive, and reduce unit-consumption (say buh bye to 1000s or 1,000,000s of jobs)

    We have state level income tax now, due to having to have some redundancies to get all 13 colonies on board. So adding a value-added tax would simply shift more burden of taxation onto consumers, and not make us more competitive in the world, which is over-rated and over-stated (Globalism is about only 18% of our economy).

    Canada can get away with PST/GST since they have a smaller population, and it pays for lots of stuff we have to purchase separately, down in these parts. But even then, Canada would do better to rely more on progressive taxation, and not taxing consumption, which is regressive.

  5. #1675
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    10-10-15 @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,069
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonTania View Post
    Productivity is generally measured in monetary terms and in hours worked. Being among the richest nations is also measured in this fashion.

    That really doesn't tell you much in terms of how much employees are producing relative to how much they should be making.
    In terms of a living wage or a poverty wage, yes... it does.

    Hours worked...

    Hours.. time... life. All life is precious. Time is precious.. the most precious. If one is willing to give of their lives over to the direction and control of another, that person should be paid a "living" wage..

    Work.. body... energy... food... health... Unlike time which we are given an unknown quantity of, we must invest in food, health and body to produce work. We should not be paid less than it takes to keep the human machine in good condition.

  6. #1676
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Razor View Post
    In terms of a living wage or a poverty wage, yes... it does.

    Hours worked...

    Hours.. time... life. All life is precious. Time is precious.. the most precious. If one is willing to give of their lives over to the direction and control of another, that person should be paid a "living" wage..

    Work.. body... energy... food... health... Unlike time which we are given an unknown quantity of, we must invest in food, health and body to produce work. We should not be paid less than it takes to keep the human machine in good condition.
    No, you are given the opportunity to earn a living not a guarantee of finding it without personal effort...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #1677
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    10-10-15 @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,069
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    No, you are given the opportunity to earn a living not a guarantee of finding it without personal effort...
    No kidding!

    The opportunity is the interview. Once you have the job and do the work, invest part of you time of life and wear and tear on your body, you should NOT be waiting for an opportunity. Who works with no effort? Did you just grab a random FOX talking point to up your post count... or did you not follow what was being said?

  8. #1678
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Razor View Post
    No kidding!

    The opportunity is the interview. Once you have the job and do the work, invest part of you time of life and wear and tear on your body, you should NOT be waiting for an opportunity. Who works with no effort? Did you just grab a random FOX talking point to up your post count... or did you not follow what was being said?
    Did you just make an irrelevant post? Yes. Do you believe an individual should be given anything in life without putting forth an effort?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #1679
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    10-10-15 @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,069
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Did you just make an irrelevant post? Yes. Do you believe an individual should be given anything in life without putting forth an effort?
    Work is not effort? Earth to Paul... come in Paul.... Work is the definition of effort and vice versa

  10. #1680
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Razor View Post
    Work is not effort? Earth to Paul... come in Paul.... Work is the definition of effort and vice versa
    Yes, work is effort. Was there a part you didn't understand?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •