Page 165 of 182 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 1820

Thread: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

  1. #1641
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Oh, I never said there were no engineer jobs. On the contrary, but there are many an engineer that is unemployed in the US. Not because he is lazy, stupid, a moocher and all those other short sighted myopic views some people take but because they demand higher salary than say someone from India. In the meantime many people are getting special work Visas to do those jobs on much lower wages and then some of those jobs are then shipped to that country once the Visa runs out. It saves CEOs money. Undercutting a workforce saves money which brings in bigger profits. It's a pretty easy concept and professionals with degrees are not necessarily protected from this cut throat need to undercut workers pay.
    That is simply insane. Do you honestly assert that a highly educated and skilled engineer would rather wait tables than work for 4x as much simply because they are too proud to bow to a CEO unwilling to pay them 5x as much?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #1642
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mangas View Post
    Wal-Mart has destroyed the American Village: the family pharmacy, hardware store, clothing store all the while suppressing wages for desperate American workers. As cheap as the prices are, the Walt-Mart workers shop at the 99-Cent Store...after new employee orientation which teaches new hires how to get food-stamps and qualify for welfare. Times are bad for many American Families and Wal-Mart is the first resort for the needy...at the expense of the worker. 60% of America shops at Wal-Mart daily. Anyone of the few remaining middle class who shops at Wal-mart is self-destructive. The "profit" made by Wal-Mart is nothing more nor less that the income made as labor brokers...the products they sell are made by slave labor abroad to be bought by people who, by patronizing, are helping destroy the middle Class.
    Oh good grief. Did Walmart spring from nothing or was it built by its customer base which is a mixture of all socioeconomic makeups. I don't shop there too often, but its because the business model has changed dramatically from its original premise of Made in the USA. This doesn't appear to matter much at all to the vast majority of its current customer base as now, price trumps everything else...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #1643
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Let me say this as nicely as possible. You're full of ****...

    Those who come to this country on work Visas expect competitive compensation as they are subject to the same cost of living as anyone else. Do you have the same hard on for illegal immigrants as you do for those that arrived here and reside here legally?
    Sorry Paul, you're the only one here who can get a hard on. Now back to my point- Previous research on CS/EE estimates the underpayment at 15–20 percent (Matloff 2003); a study of earlier data calculated the pay gap for engineering to be 33 percent (Ong and Blumenthal 1997). Hunt, analyzing all college graduates, with no restriction on field, found that the group of interest here—those who first arrived as foreign graduate students—were making significantly less than comparable natives (Hunt 2009).4 Are foreign students the ‘best and brightest’?: Data and implications for immigration policy | Economic Policy Institute

  4. #1644
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That is simply insane. Do you honestly assert that a highly educated and skilled engineer would rather wait tables than work for 4x as much simply because they are too proud to bow to a CEO unwilling to pay them 5x as much?
    God can have any more of a red herring or do you really not understand what I've posted? Hint: It has nothing to do with engineers being wait staff. It has everything to do with many are also finding themselves unemployed in this country. They are not immune to the undercutting of our work force.

  5. #1645
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Sorry Paul, you're the only one here who can get a hard on. Now back to my point- Previous research on CS/EE estimates the underpayment at 15–20 percent (Matloff 2003); a study of earlier data calculated the pay gap for engineering to be 33 percent (Ong and Blumenthal 1997). Hunt, analyzing all college graduates, with no restriction on field, found that the group of interest here—those who first arrived as foreign graduate students—were making significantly less than comparable natives (Hunt 2009).4 Are foreign students the ‘best and brightest’?: Data and implications for immigration policy | Economic Policy Institute
    Again, provide the raw data, not the synthesized "results" where bias has been applied and I might review it. I trust no studies other than those I do myself, and even I apply somewhat of a bias as it's a part of human nature. Surely even you can understand this as your link is from a group promoting their agenda...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #1646
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Again, provide the raw data, not the synthesized "results" where bias has been applied and I might review it. I trust no studies other than those I do myself, and even I apply somewhat of a bias as it's a part of human nature. Surely even you can understand this as your link is from a group promoting their agenda...
    Data is data. However, if you only trust your own studies what can I say?

  7. #1647
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Data is data. However, if you only trust your own studies what can I say?
    You could acknowledge that you support an agenda and rely on sources friendly to your beliefs...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #1648
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    God can have any more of a red herring or do you really not understand what I've posted? Hint: It has nothing to do with engineers being wait staff. It has everything to do with many are also finding themselves unemployed in this country. They are not immune to the undercutting of our work force.
    But that is (or should be) under control of our gov't. Surely even you can see that. Walmart is doing exactly what it should do, and what every business does, paying only what it takes to attract and retain the labor force that it needs. The fact that aliens, legal or not, are willing to work for what is offered while others are not is not going to make CEOs (or our congress critters) blink an eye. If you seriously believe that U.S. immigration policy is not correct then take that up with your congress critter, but bear in mind that Obama, our telepromter in chief, seeks to bring even more cheap foreign labor into the mix in his dreamy sort of way.

    So long as the gov't is willing to supplement the lower wages of U.S. workers with its goofy income redistribution programs, then nobody is going to care what the private portion of their income is. If I can work a McJob and have General Welfare, or Uncle Sucker, make up the cost of living difference to allow me to live comfortably then the McCEO has not a care in the world about increasing the level of pay offered.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #1649
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    If speaking of shapes, I'd prefer the economy have a 38-26-36 to what we have now. It astounds me people complain of a 40% tax rate at the top, or any taxes at all, when the top paid 90% during IKE's time. I enjoy the _________ of this Great Nation and don't mind paying for it.
    So are you a liar or simply uniformed?

    Do you know what the difference between a top marginal rate and an effective rate? Are you hoping none of us know?

  10. #1650
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mangas View Post
    Wal-Mart has destroyed the American Village: the family pharmacy, hardware store, clothing store all the while suppressing wages for desperate American workers. As cheap as the prices are, the Walt-Mart workers shop at the 99-Cent Store...after new employee orientation which teaches new hires how to get food-stamps and qualify for welfare. Times are bad for many American Families and Wal-Mart is the first resort for the needy...at the expense of the worker. 60% of America shops at Wal-Mart daily. Anyone of the few remaining middle class who shops at Wal-mart is self-destructive. The "profit" made by Wal-Mart is nothing more nor less that the income made as labor brokers...the products they sell are made by slave labor abroad to be bought by people who, by patronizing, are helping destroy the middle Class.
    Linc here--LincolnSaveThisUnion--I should have left NIMBY for Nimbus--SLAVES in China--The real bottom line. Whether from China, North Korea, Vietnam and more--SLAVES who are used to harvest kidneys and livers--American corps giving up state secrets

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •