Page 154 of 182 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 1820

Thread: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

  1. #1531
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Actually, Teddy Roosevelt was an actual Progressive.
    And together with W.J. Bryan, the two of them got rid of the ills of the first Gilded age and gave us two of our best amendments, the 17th and 16th.

  2. #1532
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    How about the government stop making it so damned expensive to operate a business?
    So you only support lowering costs for corporations, not small business. Makes sense. Because the only people that matter are the billionaires, not the small business owner that is trying to get on their feet.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  3. #1533
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    When you cannot reply to the points raised then you simply change the subject? WTF difference do you see between a state ID and a national ID? Will "Obama IDs" not require the same level of supporting documentation as those now issued by the states?

    The point made was that a valid, state issued, photo ID is required for many things other than to vote and is the voter ID law in other states. Since requiring these IDs did not raise a fuss when applied to other functions or when Indiana enacted the same voter ID law, why is it suddenly an issue in Texas or North Carolina?
    Why are you afraid of a National ID? It completely blows up your argument. You don't get to cheat in Purple states that you run for the next 7.5 years. You don't get to cheat in Red state's ready to go Purple. Your people are on record bragging these laws will guarantee victory.

  4. #1534
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    So you only support lowering costs for corporations, not small business. Makes sense. Because the only people that matter are the billionaires, not the small business owner that is trying to get on their feet.
    He believes that each billionaire should get a billion votes, that only the BOR should be amendments, that SCOTUS CORRUPTUS justices should attend Koch conferences in 2009 to advise on such laws as Citizens United and VRA.

  5. #1535
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    The far right "radical Repubs" in Lincoln's cabinet hated him more than the Confederates. They were seething at him for going "too soft" on the South with repatriation. The Progressive Whig in Lincoln came out in 1864 when he ran on the Nationalist party ticket.
    Being too soft on the South has nothing to do with racism.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #1536
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Low income jobs that place people below the poverty line, that deflate the unemployment rate to make it seem like things are better then they actually are, yet have the people still end up on food stamps, not paying taxes. Seems jolly swell.
    low pay jobs for unskilled work should only be your future until you develop skills worth more pay. In fact, they are essentially training for bigger and better things. No-one hires someone with no skills, education, experience or track record to a middle income (or higher) job.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #1537
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,551

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Why are you afraid of a National ID? It completely blows up your argument. You don't get to cheat in Purple states that you run for the next 7.5 years. You don't get to cheat in Red state's ready to go Purple. Your people are on record bragging these laws will guarantee victory.
    State IDs (e.g. driver's licenses) now use a national database to ensure that you can have only one valid ID at a time. Why duck the issue and instead suggest yet another massive federal program? Your people are on record as saying that we must pass the bill to see what is in it and saying that federal law is merely a guideline subject to change for political gain.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #1538
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Walmart is an employer of last resort and deserves a pass on this. They hire people that aren't worth $12.50 an hour anywhere and they give them a way to contribute. I'm a strong believer in a minimum wage but to insist on a "living wage" is not a logical strategy.
    I have a Masters degree and when I got out of school I worked stocking inventory alongside a man who had a PHD and a man who had a Bachelors in Graphic Design. I don't know where you get your assumptions about Wal Mart employes but they are unfounded. Most Wal Mart employees I knew were part of the new underemployed class because of the loss of middle class jobs. You may not have noticed but there was a huge recession that started in 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  9. #1539
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    low pay jobs for unskilled work should only be your future until you develop skills worth more pay. In fact, they are essentially training for bigger and better things. No-one hires someone with no skills, education, experience or track record to a middle income (or higher) job.
    I understand that, I really do. But the people that are getting these jobs have education, have experience, have skills (sometimes). These types of jobs are supposed to be stepping stones for bigger things but they are becoming the norm. Since it is becoming the norm to have people with college degrees working low income jobs, how do we expect them to pay off their schooling, how do we expect people in the future to want to get educated when they will end up in the same place with a high school degree minus the debt?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  10. #1540
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I have a Masters degree and when I got out of school I worked stocking inventory alongside a man who had a PHD and a man who had a Bachelors in Graphic Design. I don't know where you get your assumptions about Wal Mart employes but they are unfounded. Most Wal Mart employees I knew were part of the new underemployed class because of the loss of middle class jobs. You may not have noticed but there was a huge recession that started in 2009.
    Are you still stocking inventory?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •