Page 124 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1820

Thread: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

  1. #1231
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    I didn't even know that was the thread ... in the first place, if Wal-Mart paid their workers over $10 an hour, they would reduce their very high turnover and boost morale and productivity ... if in fact, the $12.50 is a realistic living wage for D.C., then I applaud the council, who, if other councils joined them, are serving workers' interest in the long run ... someone has to take the lead ... it'll be interesting to see what Wal-Mart does ... they weren't telling Wal-Mart they didn't want their jobs, rather Wal-Mart was trying to hold the city hostage by threatening to pull out ... think of it as giving in to terrorists (economic terrorists in this case) demands ... it's not a good idea ... I suggest they stay, pay their workers a living wage, boost morale, boost productivity, lower turnover, and just ask Wal-Mart's CEO to take a little less ... instead of making 1,034 times more than the median Wal-Mart worker, how about he makes 597 times, as Target's CEO makes, who has the second highest pay ratio ... I read somewhere that roughly half of Wal-Mart's worker live under the poverty line ... anyway, here are even better ratios - Amazon.com 18:1
    Sunoco 15:1
    Microsoft 12:1
    Actually, it was the council acting like terrorists as Walmart already had three of six planned stores under construction when this action was taken and was specifically targeted at new store openings...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #1232
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    This is where you have your difficulty with vision. I never implied I approved of the last budget passed, only that there has been little ability to implement any increases that might otherwise occur. Touting an increase in any entitlement spending should not be considered a feather in the cap of anyone...
    If the best thing Obama, Reid and Pelosi have done is not allow passage of Boehner/TeaRep budgets, it must be what we had before was better, which indeed is an Obama/Pelosi budget, which sailed right through the Reid super-majority controlled Senate.

    You may like them more than you think, and even more than I do.

  3. #1233
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    If the best thing Obama, Reid and Pelosi have done is not allow passage of Boehner/TeaRep budgets, it must be what we had before was better, which indeed is an Obama/Pelosi budget, which sailed right through the Reid super-majority controlled Senate.

    You may like them more than you think, and even more than I do.
    They are your glasses. See things as you wish...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #1234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    They are your glasses. See things as you wish...
    I cannot see. Jeez, Pauly; I'm getting misty here. Imagine us both being tickled that Obama/Reid/Pelosi kept them Tea Party loons contained, following the Tea Party Revolution that wasn't.

    Thankgod for their (Obama/Reid/Pelosi -- man I just like typing their names!!!) hard efforts to make the Tea-infused Boehner Congress entirely moot. The emotion is overtaking me. Now where did I put those tissues?

  5. #1235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Actually, it was the council acting like terrorists as Walmart already had three of six planned stores under construction when this action was taken and was specifically targeted at new store openings...
    things are back to normal Paul ... we disagree - sorry if I think a CEO making over 1000 times the median earnings of her/his workers, many of them working full time and still living in poverty, is obscene ... $12.50 an hour puts you at $26,000 a year, family of four, in D.C.? The poverty threshhold is $23,550 for a family of four ... $27,570 for a family of five ... $12.50 sounds low when you put it like that, no? ...

    I know, I know, that's the "free" enterprise system ... if they don't like it, don't work there ... no need for anyone to tell me that, I'm very familiar with the social darwinist response ...

  6. #1236
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    I cannot see. Jeez, Pauly; I'm getting misty here. Imagine us both being tickled that Obama/Reid/Pelosi kept them Tea Party loons contained, following the Tea Party Revolution that wasn't.

    Thankgod for their (Obama/Reid/Pelosi -- man I just like typing their names!!!) hard efforts to make the Tea-infused Boehner Congress entirely moot. The emotion is overtaking me. Now where did I put those tissues?
    The desire for bringing random, extraneous posits into the discussion is duly noted. Let me know when you care to discuss actual issues...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #1237
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    things are back to normal Paul ... we disagree - sorry if I think a CEO making over 1000 times the median earnings of her/his workers, many of them working full time and still living in poverty, is obscene ... $12.50 an hour puts you at $26,000 a year, family of four, in D.C.? The poverty threshhold is $23,550 for a family of four ... $27,570 for a family of five ... $12.50 sounds low when you put it like that, no? ...

    I know, I know, that's the "free" enterprise system ... if they don't like it, don't work there ... no need for anyone to tell me that, I'm very familiar with the social darwinist response ...
    If you make no more than minimum for your entire life, then you're getting paid more than you're worth.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #1238
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Actually, it was the council acting like terrorists as Walmart already had three of six planned stores under construction when this action was taken and was specifically targeted at new store openings...
    A smidge bombastic, Pauly. They didn't fly planes into Walmart. They've proposed that large retailers, among whom Walmart is merely included, pay a decent hourly rate. If that terrorizes you, you might have a slightly overactive fear-response.

    Just sayin'

  9. #1239
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    things are back to normal Paul ... we disagree - sorry if I think a CEO making over 1000 times the median earnings of her/his workers, many of them working full time and still living in poverty, is obscene ... $12.50 an hour puts you at $26,000 a year, family of four, in D.C.? The poverty threshhold is $23,550 for a family of four ... $27,570 for a family of five ... $12.50 sounds low when you put it like that, no? ...

    I know, I know, that's the "free" enterprise system ... if they don't like it, don't work there ... no need for anyone to tell me that, I'm very familiar with the social darwinist response ...
    My point didn't relate to actual wages. It was more towards the actions of the council in singling out a particular business for persecution. You know as well as I that wages are a function of supply for the particular skill(s) being sought...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #1240
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    The desire for bringing random, extraneous posits into the discussion is duly noted. Let me know when you care to discuss actual issues...
    Nah; I'm just having a friggin' ball with your glib little dodge, and how it kicked the door wide open for me to query: blocking Boehner/TeaRep budgets is doing well?

    Pure

    [can type here; rhymes with "trucking"]

    Comedy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •