Page 116 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1820

Thread: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

  1. #1151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    lets talk about the fact that the city of DC doesn't pay all its employees the so called living wage. So how in the hell can that call out a company for not doing it when themselves don't. Just another example on the mile long list of liberal hypocrisy
    Why? Was the conversation we were having a bit beyond your ability to jump in?

  2. #1152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    How about posting some facts to back all this up?
    every thing you described is caused by economic status not racial. we have more poor whites then we have poor blacks a poor white kids has the same disadvantages as a poor black kid so why does one deserve extra consideration and not the other?

  3. #1153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    your call of course, but I just responded to mac and said that I hoped that you didn't bother to respond to him ... these little stupid games by cons, including ones masquerading as moderates, get old ...
    No sweat, and much appreciated in stating the obvious was in fact that. A sage approach.

    Plus, the query was "what minority issues?" So if even not factual (they are) if minority groups in fact have taken them up as causes (they have) then my answer is still true.

    Simply put: Does Del a Raza oppose laws like that in AZ and other anti-immigration effort? Of course.

    Does NAACP support and defend Affirmative Action, decry incarceration rates among Blacks, promote food and housing assistance for the poor? Of course.

    Hence, there are in fact many minority issues, which the GOP is on the wrong side of reflexively. So the question is, in my mind, not why 70% of minorities voted Dem; it's why did 30% vote Rep????

  4. #1154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    Why? Was the conversation we were having a bit beyond your ability to jump in?
    yes it is a change of subject from your conversation but your conversation was a derailing one i want to discuss what the topic of the thread is about not what your derailment is.
    so are you going to answer the question how does the city of DC force a company to pay a so called living wage when they don't?

  5. #1155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    yes it is a change of subject from your conversation but your conversation was a derailing one i want to discuss what the topic of the thread is about not what your derailment is.
    so are you going to answer the question how does the city of DC force a company to pay a so called living wage when they don't?
    Why would what I post prevent you from posting whatever you wish, aside from me?

  6. #1156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    Why would what I post prevent you from posting whatever you wish, aside from me?
    so you refuse to answer. typical liberal distraction when hypocrisy is pointed out either answer the question or stop wasting yours and my time replying that has nothing to do with the threads topic

  7. #1157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    so you refuse to answer. typical liberal distraction when hypocrisy is pointed out either answer the question or stop wasting yours and my time replying that has nothing to do with the threads topic
    No. Just pointing out the folly of your approach with me. If you cannot handle others discussing things you do not wish to debate or have to read, then stay the hell away from this and most other threads. Also, suggesting that I'm somehow preventing you from saying what you wish, is absurd to an extent bordering on loopy.

    Now then, since you asked: no; I do not agree with targeted wage minimums for retailers of a certain size. Just raise the minimum wage for all employers, so those now paying a higher wage benefit from other employers doing the same (demand side offsets wage increase.) So while I'd advocate for better wages, the way the DC Council has proposes it be done seems stupid to me.

    That help?

  8. #1158
    Sage
    BretJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,354

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    Sure, if there was just a cost-side calculation and we did, as you're doing, ignore the demand side:

    1. What additional percentage rise in per-store sales are needed if Walmart were to pay all its employees $12/hr or more? (Less than 15%)

    2. What percentage of our workforce would have more to spend, if $12 / hr was the minimum? (Nearly Half)

    3. Would demand therefore eclipse the higher payroll cost? (Yes; as it has every time the prevailing wage or minimum wage increases by a significant margin ... in excess of inflation, raising unit demand.)
    And then eventually, prices rise to cover the costs of raising the minimum wage. Pretty much negates the whole premise.
    Short term, feel good stuff to garner immediate votes with long term unintended consequences. Seems to be the status quo.
    The opposite of hero is not villain, it is "bystander"
    " In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." -Aurelius Augustine
    "But why do they use them to make Brawndo??!!"

  9. #1159
    Sage
    BretJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,354

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    No sweat, and much appreciated in stating the obvious was in fact that. A sage approach.

    Plus, the query was "what minority issues?" So if even not factual (they are) if minority groups in fact have taken them up as causes (they have) then my answer is still true.

    Simply put: Does Del a Raza oppose laws like that in AZ and other anti-immigration effort? Of course.

    Does NAACP support and defend Affirmative Action, decry incarceration rates among Blacks, promote food and housing assistance for the poor? Of course.

    Hence, there are in fact many minority issues, which the GOP is on the wrong side of reflexively. So the question is, in my mind, not why 70% of minorities voted Dem; it's why did 30% vote Rep????
    Perhaps the 30% does not like living on the liberal "plantation". Maybe they choose to believe that they do not have to accept being told they are not capable of succeeding on their own merit but need governmental assistance to do so. Just a thought.
    The opposite of hero is not villain, it is "bystander"
    " In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty." -Aurelius Augustine
    "But why do they use them to make Brawndo??!!"

  10. #1160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by BretJ View Post
    And then eventually, prices rise to cover the costs of raising the minimum wage. Pretty much negates the whole premise.
    Short term, feel good stuff to garner immediate votes with long term unintended consequences. Seems to be the status quo.
    Not born out in the history of the minimum wage, which has been raised many times. Nor if you have the basest grasp of the economic impact of wage increase in political economies.

    So what in fact happens is wages increase as a percentage, maybe. Some businesses will get enough new business from the growing demand, to more than eclipse their wage-cost-increase, since few pay exactly the minimum. Generally they're near or above the FMW. But with millions now more economically empowered, few if any do not see sales increases. So even if labor increases as a percentage, now other fixed costs (rent, utilities, equipment leases, etc.) are a lower percentage, which can preserve the gross profit margin, as a percentage, higher labor cost percentage not withstanding. Or perhaps they lose a percentage point or two in gross profit (pre tax) but it's of a larger number (higher gross sales), making it possible to still have more penny profit.

    This is very basic, but gives you an idea of the dynamic of a system that's relational and not a flat-cost calculation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •