Page 104 of 182 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1820

Thread: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

  1. #1031
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    It is very hard to tell. Congratulations. Or do you just give it a prettier label?
    I know it and do not spin it (pretty labels); nor do I confuse it with mixed economies, such as ours.

    That help?

  2. #1032
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    What great way to kept them out of your town, just increase the minimum wage.


    Attachment 67150149

    Walmart says it will cancel its plans to build three new stores in D.C. if local lawmakers approve a bill that would force the retailer to pay its employees at least $12.50 an hour.

    Alex Barron, a regional general manager for Walmart U.S., writes in an op-ed published in the Washington Post Tuesday that the company feels the D.C. Council's proposed "living wage" legislation “would clearly inject unforeseen costs into the equation that will create an uneven playing field and challenge the fiscal health of our planned D.C. stores.”


    Walmart currently has three other new stores under construction in the area, and Barron says those stores will also be jeopardized if the bill passes.

    Read more: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes | Fox News


    If this bill passes, I hope WalMart immediately halts construction on the three stores already in the works. That's the message that needs to be sent. No discrimination. I wouldn't be surprised if it were found unconstitutional.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #1033
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,748

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Not the same thing. They close old stores after they have made money, then build bigger stores as a further investment to make even more money.

    Apples an oranges from building a store then never even opening the doors.
    As part of closing those older stores why don't they simply tear the place down and rehabilitate the property if they cannot sell it in a reasonable length of time - say a year after they abandon it?

    It is simply a terrible eyesore for the community and hardly something a good and responsible corporate neighbor would do to any community.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #1034
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    As part of closing those older stores why don't they simply tear the place down and rehabilitate the property if they cannot sell it in a reasonable length of time - say a year after they abandon it?

    It is simply a terrible eyesore for the community and hardly something a good and responsible corporate neighbor would do to any community.
    That's an entirely different issue than the OP, but I'll address it and completely agree with you. I work in civil engineering. Walmart was actually my employer's biggest client for well over a decade. I have several site designs to my credit. That being said, it has always bothered me that they do this, and for the same reasons you state.

    We know that Walmart will not do it themselves. There's no money to be gained today or in the future by doing that. The only way this could be accomplished is for the city/county to include in the initial Conditions of Approval (COA) that the building must be torn down at Walmart's expense if left unoccupied for x-amount of time after vacating.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #1035
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    If this bill passes, I hope WalMart immediately halts construction on the three stores already in the works. That's the message that needs to be sent. No discrimination. I wouldn't be surprised if it were found unconstitutional.
    The bill passed shortly after I posted the OP. IMO, Walmart will not stop construction, they will not be denied, they have the lawyers. Here is a current story:

    Walmart battling D.C. city council over new store opening - CBS News

  6. #1036
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    The bill passed shortly after I posted the OP. IMO, Walmart will not stop construction, they will not be denied, they have the lawyers. Here is a current story:

    Walmart battling D.C. city council over new store opening - CBS News
    I don't find anything to indicate Mayor Gray has signed the legislation.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #1037
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't find anything to indicate Mayor Gray has signed the legislation.
    When you find Walmart backing out of a market with the highest GDP per capita in the nation, higher than any of the 50 states, and providing their market rivals with safe haven amongst all the low hanging fruit, which it planned 3 store openings to get after, be reeeeeeeeeal sure to let me know.

  8. #1038
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    When you find Walmart backing out of a market with the highest GDP per capita in the nation, higher than any of the 50 states, and providing their market rivals with safe haven amongst all the low hanging fruit, which it planned 3 store openings to get after, be reeeeeeeeeal sure to let me know.
    It's been around since 1962, Sisyphus. They've been quite successful without Washington, DC, wouldn'tcha say?? Kinda' makes your post sound, I don't know, dumb?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #1039
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    12-28-15 @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,185

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It's been around since 1962, Sisyphus. They've been quite successful without Washington, DC, wouldn'tcha say?? Kinda' makes your post sound, I don't know, dumb?
    Yeah; we dumb asses always think that retail businesses like Walmart want to expand into new markets. Can you imagine???

    And of course it begs the question: what dummies in the Walmart corp offices cooked up the idea of three stores in DC???? Do they no know Walmart is ALREADY SUCCESSFUL????

    Silly girl. *sigh*

  10. #1040
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
    Yeah; we dumb asses always think that retail businesses like Walmart want to expand into new markets. Can you imagine???

    And of course it begs the question: what dummies in the Walmart corp offices cooked up the idea of three stores in DC???? Do they no know Walmart is ALREADY SUCCESSFUL????

    Silly girl. *sigh*
    Explain what they did in Inglewood, CA?

    Also, perhaps as a self proclaimed dumb ass, you could provide some insight into Inglewoods current 11.4% unemployment, and what they did to WalMart there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •