Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 367

Thread: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

  1. #211
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,604

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Oh, goodie, yet another it's real, no it's not, Al Gore is wrong, science is wrong, no it's not, the Earth is warming, no it's not, and if it is carbon dioxide can't be a factor, politicians want to use AGW to pass more taxes, therefore it must be wrong sort of a thread.

    I confess: I didn't read the whole thing, and probably never will. Nothing new under either the sun or the carbon ever is posted anyway. I did read the above, however.

    I'm going to go out on a limb, here, since I admittedly didn't read the rest of the thread: Neither Lord nor anyone else from the Church of Perpetual Denial ever came up with anyone who actually said that the sun doesn't matter.

    If I'm wrong, please quote me the post in which someone actually said this. Otherwise, I'm going with the conclusion that it is a giant straw man that was never addressed again.
    Yet another page of nonsense, and still no one has even attempted to name someone who said that the sun doesn't matter.

    I'm proven right once again.

    I'll be watching this thread for another opportunity to show the arguments of the Church of Perpetual Denial to be false, ever shifting, and dependent on fallacious reasoning.

    You don't know when and where I might strike next.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #212
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 12:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    236

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    I'm not lying. I'm merely reinforcing what scientists have been saying for years and have largely nailed.

    And no scientists were saying those places would be underwater in 10 years. I'd call that a lie, but I'm not classless enough to say that outright.
    LOL!

    So no 'scientists' has claimed that sea levels are rising?

    "Misleading claims about sea level rise
    The IPCC claims a faster rate in sea level rise in the period 1993-2003 (3.1 mm/year) compared with 1961-2003 (1.8 mm/yr), see WG1 SPM p 5,7, table SPM1. To make this claim, the IPCC have employed two of their familiar misleading tricks simultaneously - (a) compare a short period with a longer period, (b) change the measurement technique.

    Prior to 1993 IPCC uses the tide gauge record of sea level, which records measurements at several shorelines; in 1993 this was changed to satellite altimetry, which measures the entire ocean. The change in method coincides with an apparent acceleration of sea level rise over previous periods, which IPCC attributes to AGW, throwing out the tide gauge record, which shows significant fluctuations but no such acceleration.

    To compare one set of results using one method over one time period (prior to 1993) with another set of results using a different method over another time period (after 1993) and then using this cobbled-together record to claim an accelerating trend between the two time periods is bad science, at best, especially if the record for the latter time period which uses the same method for both periods shows no acceleration is ignored.

    These false claims are repeated in the main body of AR4 WG1, in section 5.5. On page 409 it is stated that "global sea level gradually rose in the 20th century and is currently rising at an increased rate" and "This decade-long satellite altimetry data set shows that since 1993, sea level has been rising at a rate of around 3 mm yr–1, significantly higher than the average during the previous half century. Coastal tide gauge measurements confirm this observation...", with no supporting evidence. This last statement is contradicted by the papers by Holgate and Woodworth and by Douglas below."


    "S. J. Holgate, On the decadal rates of sea level change during the twentieth century, Geophys. Res. Lett. 34, L01602 (2007).

    Abstract:

    Nine long and nearly continuous sea level records were chosen from around the world to explore rates of change in sea level for 1904–2003. These records were found to capture the variability found in a larger number of stations over the last half century studied previously. Extending the sea level record back over the entire century suggests that the high variability in the rates of sea level change observed over the past 20 years were not particularly unusual. The rate of sea level change was found to be larger in the early part of last century (2.03 ± 0.35 mm/yr 1904–1953), in comparison with the latter part (1.45 ± 0.34 mm/yr 1954–2003). The highest decadal rate of rise occurred in the decade centred on 1980 (5.31 mm/yr) with the lowest rate of rise occurring in the decade centred on 1964 (−1.49 mm/yr). Over the entire century the mean rate of change was 1.74 ± 0.16 mm/yr."

    And so on and so forth…

  3. #213
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,667

    2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanbyChoic View Post
    Oh! Well with reinforcement like THAT… who needs to trust their own eyes, right?

    I mean with DECADES of one refutation after ANOTHER… you people still 'feel' compelled to warn us of that which we can readily see, is no threat.

    Tell me, is there a point at which you will set aside the ruse? How many decades must pass without a discernible rise in sea levels before we can safely rid ourselves of the hue and cry demanding that such is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER and ALL OUR LIVES ARE AT RISK?

    It's been 4 decades… must we go another 4? How about 8? 16? 32? Where's it stop?
    Please. Show us a 'refutation'.

    Remember- not a link from Rush Limbaugh. We want a reviewed scientific article, preferably a primary source.

    But by all means, keep railing on about 'ruses' and 'lies'. It's entertaining.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  4. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 12:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    236

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Yet another page of nonsense, and still no one has even attempted to name someone who said that the sun doesn't matter.

    I'm proven right once again.

    I'll be watching this thread for another opportunity to show the arguments of the Church of Perpetual Denial to be false, ever shifting, and dependent on fallacious reasoning.

    You don't know when and where I might strike next.

    LOL!

    Are you asking for evidence that the Left; the irrational ideology which rejects the natural principles governing human behavior, has claimed that the sun doesn't matter in terms of the earth's atmosphere?

    Seriously?

    The ENTIRE SCAM RESTS UPON THE PREMISE THAT THE SUN DOES NOT EXIST.

    Where one adds the effects of the sun upon the earth's atmosphere, the entire AGW premise becomes something well beyond absurd.

    I mean COME ON! You people have declared CARBON DIOXIDE A THREAT TO THE PLANET!

    And FTR: It was at that point that you crossed the line from "Joke" to just sad…

  5. #215
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,667

    2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanbyChoic View Post
    LOL!

    So no 'scientists' has claimed that sea levels are rising?



    And so on and so forth…
    I never said this.

    This is what is known as 'moving the goalposts' in logical fallacy circles.

    I said no one said Florida would be underwater in ten years.
    But I have a feeling you might have been confused because they used the measurement in millimeters.

    And as we all know, mm are that commie invention that is inferior to measuring in inches like real 'Mericans' do.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  6. #216
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 12:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    236

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Please. Show us a 'refutation'.

    Remember- not a link from Rush Limbaugh. We want a reviewed scientific article, preferably a primary source.

    But by all means, keep railing on about 'ruses' and 'lies'. It's entertaining.
    Sure… happy to do so… but it would b VERY HELPFUL if ya just read the thread… from my 5:56 post above:

    ""Misleading claims about sea level rise
    The IPCC claims a faster rate in sea level rise in the period 1993-2003 (3.1 mm/year) compared with 1961-2003 (1.8 mm/yr), see WG1 SPM p 5,7, table SPM1. To make this claim, the IPCC have employed two of their familiar misleading tricks simultaneously - (a) compare a short period with a longer period, (b) change the measurement technique.

    Prior to 1993 IPCC uses the tide gauge record of sea level, which records measurements at several shorelines; in 1993 this was changed to satellite altimetry, which measures the entire ocean. The change in method coincides with an apparent acceleration of sea level rise over previous periods, which IPCC attributes to AGW, throwing out the tide gauge record, which shows significant fluctuations but no such acceleration.

    To compare one set of results using one method over one time period (prior to 1993) with another set of results using a different method over another time period (after 1993) and then using this cobbled-together record to claim an accelerating trend between the two time periods is bad science, at best, especially if the record for the latter time period which uses the same method for both periods shows no acceleration is ignored.

    These false claims are repeated in the main body of AR4 WG1, in section 5.5. On page 409 it is stated that "global sea level gradually rose in the 20th century and is currently rising at an increased rate" and "This decade-long satellite altimetry data set shows that since 1993, sea level has been rising at a rate of around 3 mm yr–1, significantly higher than the average during the previous half century. Coastal tide gauge measurements confirm this observation...", with no supporting evidence. This last statement is contradicted by the papers by Holgate and Woodworth and by Douglas below."


    "S. J. Holgate, On the decadal rates of sea level change during the twentieth century, Geophys. Res. Lett. 34, L01602 (2007).

    Abstract:

    Nine long and nearly continuous sea level records were chosen from around the world to explore rates of change in sea level for 1904–2003. These records were found to capture the variability found in a larger number of stations over the last half century studied previously. Extending the sea level record back over the entire century suggests that the high variability in the rates of sea level change observed over the past 20 years were not particularly unusual. The rate of sea level change was found to be larger in the early part of last century (2.03 ± 0.35 mm/yr 1904–1953), in comparison with the latter part (1.45 ± 0.34 mm/yr 1954–2003). The highest decadal rate of rise occurred in the decade centred on 1980 (5.31 mm/yr) with the lowest rate of rise occurring in the decade centred on 1964 (−1.49 mm/yr). Over the entire century the mean rate of change was 1.74 ± 0.16 mm/yr."

    And so on and so forth…"

    I hope that helps…

  7. #217
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,604

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanbyChoic View Post
    LOL!

    Are you asking for evidence that the Left; the irrational ideology which rejects the natural principles governing human behavior, has claimed that the sun doesn't matter in terms of the earth's atmosphere?

    Seriously?
    Of course. That was the claim that was made near the beginning of the thread. Either it can be backed up, or it can't. I'm guessing that it can't, and that any attempt to call it a strawman will be met with a changing of the subject.

    as for example:



    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanbyChoic View Post
    The ENTIRE SCAM RESTS UPON THE PREMISE THAT THE SUN DOES NOT EXIST.
    OK, then, if you'd rather, show us where anyone has claimed that the sun does not exist.

    Until you can back up the claims made, straw men and change of subject, are all you have.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 12:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    236

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    I never said this.

    This is what is known as 'moving the goalposts' in logical fallacy circles.

    I said no one said Florida would be underwater in ten years.
    But I have a feeling you might have been confused because they used the measurement in millimeters.

    And as we all know, mm are that commie invention that is inferior to measuring in inches like real 'Mericans' do.
    No?

    So this wasn't you?

    "Originally Posted by Threegoofs
    I'm not lying. I'm merely reinforcing what scientists have been saying for years and have largely nailed.

    And no scientists were saying those places would be underwater in 10 years. …"

  9. #219
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 12:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    236

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Of course. That was the claim that was made near the beginning of the thread. Either it can be backed up, or it can't. I'm guessing that it can't, and that any attempt to call it a strawman will be met with a changing of the subject.

    as for example:





    OK, then, if you'd rather, show us where anyone has claimed that the sun does not exist.

    Until you can back up the claims made, straw men and change of subject, are all you have.

    What I claim is that the AGW lobby is a sad little cult, who's hopes and dreams rest upon irrational beliefs… not the least of which is that the SUN is more or less irrelevant where the earth's atmosphere is concerned. This resting upon the INCONTROVERTIBLE FACT: That the sun is the predominate factor in the temperature of the earth's atmosphere, with there being no close second.

    Meaning that if ya take the sun out of the equation… the earth quickly becomes a ball of ice covered rock, shortly before it takes leave of the ice and spends eternity as just another rock, where NO AMOUNT of capitalism will EVER be able to warm it….

  10. #220
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,667

    2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanbyChoic View Post
    No?

    So this wasn't you?

    "Originally Posted by Threegoofs
    I'm not lying. I'm merely reinforcing what scientists have been saying for years and have largely nailed.

    And no scientists were saying those places would be underwater in 10 years. …"
    Right. 3mm per year does not mean Florida is underwater in a decade.

    I'm suspecting that you're not just an American by choice, but you're also a Tennessee Mash drinker by choice too...
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •