Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 367

Thread: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

  1. #191
    Proud member of the 'ilk'

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,775

    2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Just waiting to see how the Earth got 12 degrees warmer without us.

    If the argument is vapid you should have no problem discrediting me.
    Actually, you discredit yourself quite nicely.

    Obviously, the mechanisms of warming are not the same. The magnitude of the acceleration is also much greater with AGW.

    What was the mechanism? I don't know. Eccentric earth orbit, long cycles, lots of theories... A brief google search turned up this-

    http://www.dinodinosaur.com/paleonto...ng-events.html

    So maybe CO2 did play a major role.

    But how would you find out what happened? Science. Just like we know what's happening now.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  2. #192
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    54,833

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Just waiting to see how the Earth got 12 degrees warmer without us.

    If the argument is vapid you should have no problem discrediting me.
    Are you seriously under the impression that climate scientists are saying industrial CO2 is the only thing that can affect temperatures? You think climate scientists believe natural CO2 emissions do nothing? You think climate scientists believe the sun isn't a factor? Orbital mechanics? Volcanic activity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    We have no reason not to believe him. [North Korean Dictator and Mass Murder Kim Jong-Un] has been very honest and accommodating.

  3. #193
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,907

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Are you seriously under the impression that climate scientists are saying industrial CO2 is the only thing that can affect temperatures? You think climate scientists believe natural CO2 emissions do nothing? You think climate scientists believe the sun isn't a factor? Orbital mechanics? Volcanic activity?
    LOL...

    They minimize the suns impact, and volcanic activity is short term and only notable for very large eruptions. They treat natural CO2 as neutral, even though ocean warming with change the equilibrium.


    Yes.

    The warmest climate scientists focus just on man made CO2. They only bring up other factors to dismiss them.

  4. #194
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    54,833

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    LOL...

    They minimize the suns impact, and volcanic activity is short term and only notable for very large eruptions. They treat natural CO2 as neutral, even though ocean warming with change the equilibrium.


    Yes.

    The warmest climate scientists focus just on man made CO2. They only bring up other factors to dismiss them.
    Did you read the questions that other guy posted? You don't agree that those questions would indicate some of the things I queried about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    We have no reason not to believe him. [North Korean Dictator and Mass Murder Kim Jong-Un] has been very honest and accommodating.

  5. #195
    Proud member of the 'ilk'

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,775

    2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    LOL...

    They minimize the suns impact, and volcanic activity is short term and only notable for very large eruptions. They treat natural CO2 as neutral, even though ocean warming with change the equilibrium.


    Yes.

    The warmest climate scientists focus just on man made CO2. They only bring up other factors to dismiss them.
    Yes. You've made it clear that only YOU understand the science, and all those PhD types who actually spend their entire lives studying this are poorly trained idiots.

    LOL...
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  6. #196
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,907

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Did you read the questions that other guy posted? You don't agree that those questions would indicate some of the things I queried about?
    Sorry, I have too many things going on and not sure what you speak of.

    What are your referring to? Which post?

  7. #197
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    44,143

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Oh, goodie, yet another it's real, no it's not, Al Gore is wrong, science is wrong, no it's not, the Earth is warming, no it's not, and if it is carbon dioxide can't be a factor, politicians want to use AGW to pass more taxes, therefore it must be wrong sort of a thread.

    I confess: I didn't read the whole thing, and probably never will. Nothing new under either the sun or the carbon ever is posted anyway. I did read the above, however.

    I'm going to go out on a limb, here, since I admittedly didn't read the rest of the thread: Neither Lord nor anyone else from the Church of Perpetual Denial ever came up with anyone who actually said that the sun doesn't matter.

    If I'm wrong, please quote me the post in which someone actually said this. Otherwise, I'm going with the conclusion that it is a giant straw man that was never addressed again.
    Still nothing.

    I suppose that supports my hypothesis, doesn't it?
    You don't have to agree with me. You have every right to be wrong if you want.

  8. #198
    Advisor Morrigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    10-13-14 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    351

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    There are a few here who seem to be very misinformed about the concept of science and how it works, as well as what scientists actually do for a living.

    Science, above all else, attempts to explain what goes on here on Earth and in the universe beyond. The greatest power preventing scientists from abusing the system and making their own agendas "scientific" fact is the scientific method.

    1. You must have some kind of problem to solve. What is taking place in a particular chemical reaction? How do the orbits of other bodies in our solar system work? Is the climate on Earth changing? Why is the climate on Earth changing?

    2. One or more hypotheses are formed by those involved in the research. A hypothesis must be testable and thus able to be empirically proven or disproven. The hypothesis must stand up to peer review later, without doubt the most important step of the scientific method.

    3. After this is in order, an experiment must be conducted. This experiment must be able to be replicated by others and must control any factors that could reduce the accuracy of whatever is being measured. This will also have to stand up to peer review.

    4. Conclusion. A problem has been identified, a hypothesis has been made, an experiment has been conducted, and now you have to put it all together in a paper. Have fun with that. By the way, this will also have to stand up to peer review.

    5. Peer Review. The fun part. A bunch of your egotistical colleagues will be put into the same room as you and examine every facet of the research and paper you have worked so hard on. If they find that your hypothesis cannot be proven you really screwed up. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. You are now back at square 1.

    If your hypothesis cannot be disproven, you either really screwed up or you are a dick. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

    If your experiment was biased in any way, see above. If your experiment did not test your hypothesis properly, see above. If you were drilling ice core samples and were assaulted by a penguin, see above.

    If your conclusion does not actually conclude things, you must either fix it or everything will be thrown out the window. If your conclusion is not in line with your hypothesis and experiment, you have either royally screwed up or you are really a dick.


    6. If nothing is catastrophically wrong with your paper, it can now be published. It's over, right? Wrong.

    If anyone, anywhere thinks that any of the data or wording inside the paper has been lifted from anywhere else, even another of your own papers, the editor will be greatly annoyed because he will have to cross-reference the whole thing. If he finds that any data or writing is lifted from another paper, you are either a complete idiot or a cheat and everyone will know about it.

    Then, if you're a student, you may face expulsion from the college. If you are not, the entire academic community in your field will know about it and it may well ruin your career.




    So you can't really say that these climate scientists in question are fudging their numbers. If it's been published, it has been examined under a microscope and is still under scrutiny even now. That said, there are at least eleven thousand papers that have gone through this process and have been published between 1991 and 2011 that do find that the activities of mankind are raising the average temperature of the Earth's atmosphere. If you want sources, I can cite them but be warned that many will be rather long-winded.

  9. #199
    Proud member of the 'ilk'

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,775

    2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Good overview, Mo.

    One thing to point out is that this has been an idea that has been worked on for 40 years+, with lots of work going to prove it wrong, but most of the data going towards confirming that AGW is real and will be a major problem.

    The work now is really going towards clarifying how bad things will get in terms of environmental impact.

    The basic studies of AGW are just no longer that interesting since its so well established.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  10. #200
    Advisor Morrigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    10-13-14 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    351

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Pretty much.

Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •