Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 367

Thread: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

  1. #171
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I love it. This thread will demonstrate that there are beaucoup morons among us. They eat and breathe and don't miss any TV. They consume their choice of ignorance with gusto and a true believer's naivete. They think Global Warming is about politics. Thoroughly washed and scrubbed grey matter. Don't accuse me of just addressing radical right wing wackos. Nosiree. They's a couple librarians not wrapped too tight.
    While others believe the only way to reduce global warming is to reduce CO2. if you believe reducing CO2 is the only answer to reducing global warming, you have quite a strawman argument on your hands (since you monger about global warming when you don't care about global warming).
    Last edited by cabse5; 07-10-13 at 03:27 PM.

  2. #172
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    While others believe the only way to reduce global warming is to reduce CO2. if you believe reducing CO2 is the only answer to reducing global warming, you have quite a strawman argument on your hands (since you monger about global warming when you don't care about global warming).
    CO2 is one thing. Why not turn down the heat?

  3. #173
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    For example, if solar output continues to dip like it did with this last cycle, you'd expect temperatures to remain flatter than they were before.
    Actually, as I have stated, I knew there is lag involved. Not certain how much effect takes place at what lag time, but if the sun stays the same as the last 30 or so year average, I expect this to be our normal temperature. Peaks and dips from here. However, if the sun continues to becline in output through cycle 25, I expect the global temperatures will be reduced.

    Hold this as record for the next 20 years, if we are both around you can see if I'm right.

    I do believe the solar scientists predicting these events to be correct. However, unlike you warmers, I don't have the faith to state it as fact.

  4. #174
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros
    Because you haven't actually addressed any research yet you still call it a "religion". Then you assume that climate scientists are a monolithic block driven by a singular ideology.
    It gets pretty complicated to do so. How are you at writing and explaining one's complete thought process of how something works? I have addressed a few relevant point in examples most readers can understand, if the have basic science skills. Beyond that, debate is pointless. It becomes an argument like "my daddy can beat up your daddy." We can have google wars and see who can come up with the latest, greatest research on either side, but if the readers here do not understand the research, it is just a numbers game. And admittedly, I would lose such a numbers game. Hence my tactics of being able to explain in my own words, making some mistakes along the way, but learning more in the process as well.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros
    Obviously the earth is getting warmer. Your entire explanation, as far as I can gather is that you believe that we're in a natural warming period. But this isn't scientific reasoning. It's what's left after you ignore any possibility that mankind has effected the climate. That's a dogmatic belief, not a rational one.
    You have not digested my words well if you believe that. AGW is real, and my claim is the 2nd and maybe 3rd cause of warming.

    1) Natural solar changes - natural
    2) Black carbon on ice (soot) - AGW
    3 or 4) CO2 -AGW
    3 or 4) ENSO - natural


    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros
    Lets assume that you were correct. Say that increased solar energy was responsible at least in part for the warming. We'd expect that this increase would also increase pan evaporation rates. (That's the amount of water that evaporates naturally from a pan. Farmers have used and recorded it for a long time to determine how much water their crops need).
    And the trend does follow solar intensity that makes it through the atmosphere. We have a downward trend in evaporation from about 1960 to about 1975, as we dulled the skies with pollution. Hard to distinguish if pollution cause this as we also had a minor solar activity drop too. The rate then increased again until about the same time we see temperatures stabilizing, and a 30+ year relatively stable sun.

    When the sun changes in intensity, more of the change is in the shorter wavelengths. Almost all greenhouse gas down forcing is absorbed in the top 1 mm of the water. At the wavelengths CO2 is responsible, most is absorbed in the top 3 microns of water. This is where CO2 and wind combined will actually influence evaporation rates more than any other changes. Convection is a pretty small effect compared to waves of light we cannot see. There is probably more CO2 downforcing than the solar energy absorbed in the top 1 mm, but the sun will warm the top several meter far more than the greenhouse effect. hard to make a guess at which effect the evaporation rate the most. Co2 however does have a significant effect.

    As for the rates? have we been decreasing in evaporation? I know we have areas of drought, but at the same time we have areas of excess rain and more flooding than normal. I though we were having more absorbed water, not less. Didn't I read somewhere we have a momentary drop in sea level of 5 mm?

    Am I wrong? I think not. Here is a NOAA link:




    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros
    But, over the last 50 years, we see a steady decline in pan evaporation. This would indicate global radiative dimming as well as an accelerating hydrologic cycle. Basically, the sun is getting dimmer, and the earth is getting warmer.
    Pan evaporation rate where? In areas that windmills are changing the airflow away from?

    That would be anthropogenic climate change wouldn't it?
    Last edited by Lord of Planar; 07-10-13 at 08:27 PM.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    CO2 is one thing. Why not turn down the heat?
    I would agree with you if I thought it had a larger impact.

    Why not deal with a known impact we have better control over first, like reducing annual soot output? At least the warmer climate community has realized it has more impact than they previously claimed, but they are glad to acknowledge it since it is an AGW component. Look at the change in their assessment of BC from AR4 to AR5:




  6. #176
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Then you assume that climate scientists are a monolithic block driven by a singular ideology.
    I've addressed by beliefs on this several times. I only think a few of them actively participate in any falsehoods. However, these same ones shape what is taught about climate in the universities. I think the majority of climate scientists believe what they say, because they use the methodology taught.

    It would be a great help to have an open peer review process, rather than the close reviews they use. I

    t would be helpful to listen more to those who's credentials sit squarely on radiative physics, rather than the incomplete teachings required for climatology.

  7. #177
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Actually, as I have stated, I knew there is lag involved. Not certain how much effect takes place at what lag time, but if the sun stays the same as the last 30 or so year average, I expect this to be our normal temperature. Peaks and dips from here. However, if the sun continues to becline in output through cycle 25, I expect the global temperatures will be reduced.

    Hold this as record for the next 20 years, if we are both around you can see if I'm right.

    I do believe the solar scientists predicting these events to be correct. However, unlike you warmers, I don't have the faith to state it as fact.
    Us "warmers" aren't declaring what the sun will or will not do, no. Maybe this helps explain some of you denial cultists not understanding climate models.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #178
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Us "warmers" aren't declaring what the sun will or will not do, no. Maybe this helps explain some of you denial cultists not understanding climate models.
    Yes I know. That's because you leave it out of the equation, denying real science.

  9. #179
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post

    DaveFagan"CO2 is one thing. Why not turn down the heat?"
    Planar"I would agree with you if I thought it had a larger impact. "

    Just calculate all the btus wasted to lost heat in all the coal, oil, gas, nuke, wood, other biomass, etc. processes and you'll have a clue.

  10. #180
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: 2001-2010 was the warmest decade since records began

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post

    DaveFagan"CO2 is one thing. Why not turn down the heat?"
    Planar"I would agree with you if I thought it had a larger impact. "

    Just calculate all the btus wasted to lost heat in all the coal, oil, gas, nuke, wood, other biomass, etc. processes and you'll have a clue.
    What percentage of the 89 petawatts is it that the earth absorbs from the sun?

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •