Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 94

Thread: Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Ahh, but thats not really a "consumer" choice, thats a freedom of expressin choice. Of course you can. My compaint is against a business, organization, or government agency that would respond to punish a person for freely expressing his opinions simply because your organize a protest. So maybe you do and you and your supporters stop using Capitol One cards. This could very well be balanced by an equal number of people who LIKE the individual you protest against and who would suddenly start using Capitol One cards. I just think it's silly to act merely because some group threatens you.

    They can do whatever, but to me its just a slippery-slope allowing a popular view-of-the-moment to dictate long-term freedom of expression policies. This can easily backfire on the very people who push for the censorship of others, when similar tactics end up silencing them.
    Quite right. These people aren't just attacking the person for their point of view, they are attacking their livelihood and their right to make a living. That is not healthy in any society.

    The late Rodney Dangerfield used to talk abut how tough his football team was by saying they didn't just sack the quarterback, they went to his home and sacked that too.

    That's what these jerks are doing, and it's not a joke

  2. #82
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets

    How about we just stop ruining people over stupid comments they make?

    Nah, I guess it's just too useful of a political tool.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  3. #83
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Say no more...and why I consider the rest of your post irrelevant to the point I originally made in reply.

    You were not "being fair" in your "to be fair" statement. You were expressing an opinion based upon your (now quite obvious) highly emotional world-view of racism in relation to the incident.

    Fully entitled to do so though, no argument there. In MY opinion, theme parties can be as racist, sexist, or any other "ist" you can think of as part of free expression.

    I, of course, am free not to attend.
    Wait, your quarrel with my post is that I wrote "in my world" to indicate that my position was coming from my perspective? Who would've thought that your chief criticism of my opinion would be that it is an opinion? LOL! Would you have preferred that I pretend that opinion was a fact? LOL

    Oh and thanks for letting me know that I should never debate with you again. Whenever a poster takes the time to write out a thoughtful argument and another poster takes 3 words out of that argument and dismisses everything because of some nonsensical criticism, that poster has demonstrated that they aren't interested in or worthy of serious debate as you have done here. Notice how you just abandoned your argument about films and theme parties once I pointed out that they receive similar criticism. Joke.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 07-09-13 at 07:43 PM.

  4. #84
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Your use of the phrase (something I’ve seen from time to time), is a naked appeal to our sense of fair play; for us to understand and agree with your position simply because it’s the "right thing to do."
    No, I was using it to indicate that there was more to the story than what roguenuke was saying. That's actually what the phrase tends to be used for - expressing that their is more information to be considered. You seem confused.

  5. #85
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    How about we just stop ruining people over stupid comments they make?
    Eh, she'll get a second chance - most people usually do. Mel Gibson made racist, misogynist and antisemitic comments on top of threatening his wife and he's already making a comeback. Regardless, I find arguments like yours to be quite interesting as the implication is that the desire of people to not have individuals who exhibit behavior they disapprove of be supported by businesses they patronize is illegitimate. It isn't.

  6. #86
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,568
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Wait, your quarrel with my post is that I wrote "in my world" to indicate that my position was coming from my perspective? Who would've thought that your chief criticism of my opinion would be that it is an opinion? LOL! Would you have preferred that I pretend that opinion was a fact? LOL

    Oh and thanks for letting me know that I should never debate with you again. Whenever a poster takes the time to write out a thoughtful argument and another poster takes 3 words out of that argument and dismisses everything because of some nonsensical criticism, that poster has demonstrated that they aren't interested in or worthy of serious debate as you have done here. Notice how you just abandoned your argument about films and theme parties once I pointed out that they receive similar criticism. Joke.
    Actually, I took three words simply to alert you that I was responding to your post. I didn't think I needed to respond to everything you wrote about. I suppose I could have, but I didn't think your examples needed individual responses because my two-part reply (sorry, the forum system wasn't working properly) clearly indicated while you found the acts offensive in each example of free expression you selected, I did not. At least I think that was pretty clear in my replies.

    That aside, whether you think someone is worthy of debate or not is your free choice, another example of free expression in action. More power to you.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  7. #87
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    That aside, whether you think someone is worthy of debate or not is your free choice, another example of free expression in action.
    All of your posts just amount to stating the obvious. First, you state that my opinion was my opinion. And now, you state that my opinion is an example of free expression. No ****. LOL

  8. #88
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,568
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    All of your posts just amount to stating the obvious. First, you state that my opinion was my opinion. And now, you state that my opinion is an example of free expression. No ****. LOL
    Perhaps, one day, if you ever learn to take off your rose-colored glasses so you can read for comprehension, you'll discern more than your side of any position.

    My position is that words or other non-violent expressions of bias, personal prejudice, or "ism" only carry the capacity to harm that we grant them, we are always free to tune them out and move on with our lives.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  9. #89
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Eh, she'll get a second chance - most people usually do. Mel Gibson made racist, misogynist and antisemitic comments on top of threatening his wife and he's already making a comeback. Regardless, I find arguments like yours to be quite interesting as the implication is that the desire of people to not have individuals who exhibit behavior they disapprove of be supported by businesses they patronize is illegitimate. It isn't.
    I find the implication that the utterance of one phrase at some point in one's life makes one illegible to participate in the economy.

    Perhaps the expectation isn't so much that people support individuals they find reprehensible as much as they just get over their hypersensitivity.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  10. #90
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,169

    Re: Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets

    http://www.ijreview.com/2013/06/6102...ama-supporter/

    Paula Deen supported Obama - yet she's being persecuted for being a Conservative


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •