Page 84 of 215 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast
Results 831 to 840 of 2145

Thread: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

  1. #831
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    Well.....first, that only covers mass layoffs (at least 50 people laid off in 5 weeks and at least 50 laid off more than 30 days). So a person here and a person there won't show up.
    Second, excessive regulation could easily lead to many of the issues listed.

    Basically, there's no simple way to support either conclusion.

    Oh, and the mass layoff statistics program has been eliminated due to sequestration.
    However, the burden of proof is actually with those who make the claim. And there are other studies, like this one:

    Summarizing, the findings for 1982-1989 consistently and unambiguously fail to support the argument that states with stronger environmental policies suffer an economic penalty. All the coefficients hinted at a very weak positive relationship – albeit one that is statistically insignificant – between state environmentalism and economic performance. More importantly the over all odds are better than 15:1 against the proposition that environmental regulation hurt state economic growth during this period.

    (snip)

    So why do business leaders and lobbyists single out environmental costs as so noteworthy, when they are comparatively insignificant? To a large extent business still does not perceive environment-related costs as ordinary and proper business costs, recent advertising campaigns to the contrary. Environmental costs are seen as a form of externally imposed social tax, an
    illegitimate tax place on business.

    In this respect the concepts of “extranalities” and “social costs” have not crossed from business management schools to board rooms. Manufacturing plant owners do not consider taking clean water from and returning chemical-
    laden dirty water to the same river as either a public subsidy or imposing a public cost. As one CEO explained “...Look, the public benefits from our products. They use them and they get jobs. Part of the price of this benefit is the impact we have on the environment. That should be born by the public, not the company.” And so for business and industry these costs, however small,
    stand out in bold face – despite the fact that they do not tabulate them systematically or reliably.

    http://web.mit.edu/polisci/mpepp/Rep...viro%20Reg.pdf

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #832
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    There is no factual evidence, just a study made up mostly of opinions. You really have no idea how private business works and are totally clueless as to the monthly operating expenses. Sorry but you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own set of facts. Until you understand business operating expenses for all business then the accuracy of your opinion is questionable at best.

    NO, it measures objective variables, as did the tax studies.

    The burden is on you. Put up, or shut up?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #833
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    NO, it measures objective variables, as did the tax studies.

    The burden is on you. Put up, or shut up?
    Not playing your game, there is no credible survey as to the effects of taxes, regulations, and other govt. programs on private business, just opinions. The sample is way too small in a private sector economy to come up with a meaningful accurate result. Just like typical liberal responses to the tough problems facing this country you come up with a study based upon non verifiable information and no details of the sample used to provide an opinion that you want. Nothing you have offered addresses actual reality which is a business financial statement, profit demand, debt service, and interviews with actual private business owners in all classifications.

  4. #834
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Not playing your game, there is no credible survey as to the effects of taxes, regulations, and other govt. programs on private business, just opinions. The sample is way too small in a private sector economy to come up with a meaningful accurate result. Just like typical liberal responses to the tough problems facing this country you come up with a study based upon non verifiable information and no details of the sample used to provide an opinion that you want. Nothing you have offered addresses actual reality which is a business financial statement, profit demand, debt service, and interviews with actual private business owners in all classifications.
    Again, I've given you objective evidence. You've just rambled.

    Here's some more support:

    Do Regulations Really Kill Jobs Overall? Not So Much

    (snip)

    But is the claim that regulation kills jobs true?

    We asked experts, and most told us that while there is relatively little scholarship on the issue, the evidence so far is that the overall effect on jobs is minimal. Regulations do destroy some jobs, but they also create others. Mostly, they just shift jobs within the economy.

    “The effects on jobs are negligible. They’re not job-creating or job-destroying on average,” said Richard Morgenstern, who served in the EPA from the Reagan to Clinton years and is now at Resources for the Future, a nonpartisan think tank.

    Do Regulations Really Kill Jobs Overall? Not So Much - ProPublica

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #835
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, I've given you objective evidence. You've just rambled.

    Here's some more support:

    Do Regulations Really Kill Jobs Overall? Not So Much

    (snip)

    But is the claim that regulation kills jobs true?

    We asked experts, and most told us that while there is relatively little scholarship on the issue, the evidence so far is that the overall effect on jobs is minimal. Regulations do destroy some jobs, but they also create others. Mostly, they just shift jobs within the economy.

    “The effects on jobs are negligible. They’re not job-creating or job-destroying on average,” said Richard Morgenstern, who served in the EPA from the Reagan to Clinton years and is now at Resources for the Future, a nonpartisan think tank.

    Do Regulations Really Kill Jobs Overall? Not So Much - ProPublica
    Well, there you have it, a lot of politicians and political appointees making a claim that their work doesn't affect jobs. We have a serious problem in this country, I say regulations and higher business costs resulting from regulations, higher taxes, and things like Obamacare affect hiring more than the intellectuals, politicians, and political appointees. I base my statement on actually running a business, actually seeing hundreds of monthly financial statements, understanding business budgets, investment costs, and hiring expenses.

    Obama's job performance is a disaster. Your claims are your opinion backed by others just like you none of which come up with any solution to increase jobs. You don't think they affect job performance then eliminate them to find out?

  6. #836
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Well, there you have it, a lot of politicians and political appointees making a claim that their work doesn't affect jobs. We have a serious problem in this country, I say regulations and higher business costs resulting from regulations, higher taxes, and things like Obamacare affect hiring more than the intellectuals, politicians, and political appointees. I base my statement on actually running a business, actually seeing hundreds of monthly financial statements, understanding business budgets, investment costs, and hiring expenses.

    Obama's job performance is a disaster. Your claims are your opinion backed by others just like you none of which come up with any solution to increase jobs. You don't think they affect job performance then eliminate them to find out?
    You missed the word scholarship. This means the research says this.

    If you want an opinion, here's one for you:

    How much impact does regulation actually have on jobs?

    Experts say government regulation has a minimal impact on jobs numbers. If the costs in terms of jobs is a wash, and the benefits side is even slightly positive, then the conservative talking point for aggressive deregulation should largely be ignored.

    How much impact does regulation actually have on jobs? - CSMonitor.com

    BTW, I still haven't seen one objective piece of evidence from you. Hell, I even used BLS for you.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #837
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You missed the word scholarship. This means the research says this.

    If you want an opinion, here's one for you:

    How much impact does regulation actually have on jobs?

    Experts say government regulation has a minimal impact on jobs numbers. If the costs in terms of jobs is a wash, and the benefits side is even slightly positive, then the conservative talking point for aggressive deregulation should largely be ignored.

    How much impact does regulation actually have on jobs? - CSMonitor.com

    BTW, I still haven't seen one objective piece of evidence from you. Hell, I even used BLS for you.
    We have a hiring problem in this country, if regulations don't cause part of the problem then there is one way to find out, eliminate them and see if there is any change. If you read the article you would see that regulations do increase costs but for some reason that fact escapes you just as the current economic situation and job creation stagnation.

  8. #838
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    We have a hiring problem in this country, if regulations don't cause part of the problem then there is one way to find out, eliminate them and see if there is any change. If you read the article you would see that regulations do increase costs but for some reason that fact escapes you just as the current economic situation and job creation stagnation.
    We did deregulate. Things got worse. Don't you remember?

    But, you make the affirmative claim. You have an obligation to support your claim. I've shown solid, measurable, fact based evidence that neither taxes nor regulations strangle business, but instead have minimal effect. You've offer nothing like it.

    Just for you:

    Small business owners actually support an array of recently proposed EPA regulations. And by wide margins, too. Small Business Majority's most recent polling, released on June 7, found the vast majority of small businesses in Ohio -- a major manufacturing state -- support EPA clean air standards, and two-thirds of those polled also feel government investments in clean energy can stimulate the economy and create jobs now.

    Specifically, 7 in 10 small business owners support the EPA's federal standard requiring new power plants to reduce greenhouse gas emissions like carbon dioxide -- even though 6 in 10 of them believe it will directly impact their business.

    (snip)

    It's unfortunate when small businesses are used as a vehicle for pushing ideological agendas. This isn't to say that small businesses support all regulations all the time. But as Todd Stegman noted, small businesses are most worried about consumer demand and the rising cost of doing business, along with making payroll, healthcare costs and credit availability. That's all according to a wide body of research including our own and the very survey Lincoln cites.

    John Arensmeyer: Fact Check: EPA Regulations Are Not Small Business's Kryptonite

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #839
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,210

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I have history to inform me on what has
    happened, so we can predict
    based on history what will happen. it's not against the rules to read up on it.
    History apparently is awfully subjective, and thats really unfortunate.

    What historical snap shot has you convinced you that greater regulation, larger government and arbitrary cost increases on American Bussineses and individuals leads to strong economic growth ?

    Please, be specific.

  10. #840
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    We did deregulate. Things got worse. Don't you remember?

    But, you make the affirmative claim. You have an obligation to support your claim. I've shown solid, measurable, fact based evidence that neither taxes nor regulations strangle business, but instead have minimal effect. You've offer nothing like it.

    Just for you:

    Small business owners actually support an array of recently proposed EPA regulations. And by wide margins, too. Small Business Majority's most recent polling, released on June 7, found the vast majority of small businesses in Ohio -- a major manufacturing state -- support EPA clean air standards, and two-thirds of those polled also feel government investments in clean energy can stimulate the economy and create jobs now.

    Specifically, 7 in 10 small business owners support the EPA's federal standard requiring new power plants to reduce greenhouse gas emissions like carbon dioxide -- even though 6 in 10 of them believe it will directly impact their business.

    (snip)

    It's unfortunate when small businesses are used as a vehicle for pushing ideological agendas. This isn't to say that small businesses support all regulations all the time. But as Todd Stegman noted, small businesses are most worried about consumer demand and the rising cost of doing business, along with making payroll, healthcare costs and credit availability. That's all according to a wide body of research including our own and the very survey Lincoln cites.

    John Arensmeyer: Fact Check: EPA Regulations Are Not Small Business's Kryptonite
    So the answer is as I posted, since you claim that regulations don't cause hiring problems and I disagree then the answer would be to eliminate regulations to see if employment changes. I totally agree.

    Do you have a solution to the employment problem we have in this country?

    Your support of increased govt. intervention in the private sector is noted but the question is why?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •