Page 78 of 215 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 2145

Thread: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

  1. #771
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    And what's the margin of error for that change and is it statistically significant?
    Save the coy crap for someone else.

    If you have a point, make it or don't waste my time...please.


    If you know it - state it (and you usually act like you know these things).

    If you don't - find it yourself, please. You have access to the same BLS stats as I do.
    Last edited by DA60; 07-09-13 at 01:53 PM.

  2. #772
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    8,102

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    You made a general statement.
    There is nothing "general" about this statement:

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Wonder if you would have the same outlook if these were a Republican numbers vs. a Democrat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I can't speak for pbrauer, but I would have the exact same outlook.
    You really should try harder at comprehending what someone says before you ask them a question which has already been answered.

  3. #773
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    Capital is sitting idle precisely because companies don't increase production in the hope that the market will expand. Businesses expand when they have a sufficient evidence that an expansion will increase profit. They don't just expand for the sake of expansion.

    Supply and demand combine to form an equilibrium. If supply increases but demand stays the same, then prices and profit fall. This disincentives any one producer from flooding the market with goods. If demand increases, but supply stays the same then prices increase forming a strong intensive for expansion.

    If you want to learn about why, read discussions on work by Von Neumann, Stackelberg, and Nash. You may find the math a bit tricky, but the concepts are fairly simple.

    The notion of "economic uncertainty" makes for convenient talking points, but it doesn't have much to do with reality. Companies aren't hoarding money because they're scared of some boogeyman. They're hoarding money because expansion will hurt their profits.

    Thank you for the links, but my background and education make such an effort unnecessary.

    What you have posted is an outline of the obvious.

    The fact is, in different times, economic downturns provided opportunity for gain for those companies who invest wisly and position themselves to capitalize on the inevitable upturn. In different times, economic downturns cleared the playing field, and allowed growing companies to capture increased market share exposed by those who relinquished it.

    This time around, not so much, since continued uncertainty over the impact of policies not yet implemented cloud the analysis of the future. My business here in Southern California employs many people, requires a fair amount of energy to sustain, and involves compliance with a remarkable number of regulatory agencies. While I accept that as the cost of doing business, I would suggest it would be almost impossible to start my company from scratch in California's current regulatory environment.

    Such realities within the current business model aren't caught in graphs detailing the relationship of supply to demand, or in the effective use of capital in a fluid economic environment.

  4. #774
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    While I agree, in his most recent article http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/08/op...own.html?_r=1& his ridiculous optimism is finally waning.

    He states, "Full recovery still looks a very long way off. And I’m beginning to worry that it may never happen."
    Yeah...maybe he is finally seeing the light...well, part of the light.

    He is still waxing poetic about the joys of massive government spending.


    But, you are right...he seems to be at least BEGINNING to see the situation for what it is...hopeless unless something changes.

  5. #775
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    There is nothing "general" about this statement.
    I believe that was in reference to this jobs report...not the '2 jobs created per Month is a good jobs report' position you have.

    So, then I assume the answer is yes.

    So when a Rep is in the White House, if a jobs report comes out that has only 2 jobs (lol) created...you will call it a good report (assuming you still have this standard).

    Noted.


    Have a nice day.

  6. #776
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    68,331

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not sure if any line. But each regulation must be viewed on its own as to whether it is needed or not. Too many is subjective. Objectively each must be weighted by need.

    But our problem isn't the regulations. Our economy was thriving with as many or more. Deregulation may well have led to some of our problems. You don't clearly see all the different issues we face, so you approach it too simplistically, which ultimately means you have wrong.
    Your opinion noted, seems that your opinion is always right and thus everyone else with a different opinion is wrong. I actually ran a business, had monthly P&L's, dealt with govt. regulations therefore seem to have a more realistic view of what the problems are. You and your liberal friends see things one way and compromise isn't something to be considered. You are right, the rest of us wrong yet the results say you are wrong yet you cannot admit it.

  7. #777
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    8,102

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I believe that was in reference to this jobs report...not the '2 jobs created per Month is a good jobs report' position you have.
    It kills you to have it pointed out how wrong you are, doesn't it?

    Carry on.

  8. #778
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    It kills you to have it pointed out how wrong you are, doesn't it?

    Carry on.


    Ummm...no.

    I welcome it...how else can I learn?

    I have said many times that I come here to learn, teach and kill some time.

    I don't think I was wrong above...not that it's a biggie.

    I admitted I was wrong last night as soon as it was pointed out to me.

    So why would I not admit it now?

    Now if you're through with the personal attacks/judgements...can we get back to the topic?

    And if you are not - try pm's or the dungeon.


    And btw, you keep asking me to leave you alone...but then you keep directing posts at me.

    A little decisiveness might help you on this one.


    Have a nice day.

  9. #779
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,399

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Save the coy crap for someone else.

    If you have a point, make it or don't waste my time...please.
    That was my point. While useful for general trends, you have to be very cautious about putting too much significance on changes in the smaller divisions of the labor force data. While the official Jobs change of +195,000 is statistically significant (coming from the more accurate Establishment Survey), NONE of the changes of the major groups of the labor force statistics were (except for the changes to Marginally Attached and Discouraged...both of those clearly went up)

    So while we might as well assume that full time jobs did drop and part time jobs increased, it's incorrect to put too much significance on it.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  10. #780
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    That was my point. While useful for general trends, you have to be very cautious about putting too much significance on changes in the smaller divisions of the labor force data. While the official Jobs change of +195,000 is statistically significant (coming from the more accurate Establishment Survey), NONE of the changes of the major groups of the labor force statistics were (except for the changes to Marginally Attached and Discouraged...both of those clearly went up)

    So while we might as well assume that full time jobs did drop and part time jobs increased, it's incorrect to put too much significance on it.
    Oh, come on now.

    Believe the numbers that sound good for the Obama admin..

    But don't believe the ones that sound bad?

    (Btw - I am neither rep or dem)


    You are going to have to show link(s) to unbiased, factual proof to me that one is worth getting worked up about and one is not before I am buying into that (not that I am saying it is not potentially true).

    Can you?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •