Page 55 of 215 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 2145

Thread: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

  1. #541
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,054

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not necessarily. Here it means fewer part time and more full time. If there is business, they will hire and grow. It is that simple.
    And soon, they'll be hiring as many 29-hour-per-week employees as necessary. The unemployment rate will go down further, much to Obama's liking, just not with full-time folks.

  2. #542
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    And soon, they'll be hiring as many 29-hour-per-week employees as necessary. The unemployment rate will go down further, much to Obama's liking, just not with full-time folks.
    They've been doing that for a long time now. Nothing new in that. I don't think we can blame Obama for something that started decades ago. Even now, it's more an excuse than a reason. But it underscores the reason to remove healthcare from employment, giving them one less thing to blame.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #543
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    So to improve employment, the country needs to become less productive?
    Good afternoon, ocean515.

    Why yes, ocean! It's the only logical conclusion that one could draw! To quote you,



    :

  4. #544
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You have nothing, like con, so you resort to the purely personal.

    Same warning.
    Gee whiz truth, you've done nothing by obfuscate and claim the other poster is a bad employer, and likes to use clubs on other people.

    I've mearly tried to engage in some rational debate.

    As usual, I see that is a great challenge with you.

    Perhaps you could offer some ideas of your own, rather than personal attacks and judgements.

    Just a thought.

    By the way, do you have any thoughts about the amount of gross revenue the average business needs to generate to cover a $50k job w/benefits?

    Really anxious to learn from your perspective.

  5. #545
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    They've been doing that for a long time now. Nothing new in that. I don't think we can blame Obama for something that started decades ago. Even now, it's more an excuse than a reason. But it underscores the reason to remove healthcare from employment, giving them one less thing to blame.
    When you remove health care (insurance) from employment, what do you expect the taxes might be on each employer/individual to cover the costs?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #546
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    When you remove health care (insurance) from employment, what do you expect the taxes might be on each employer/individual to cover the costs?
    Shouldn't be anymore than we pay now. We pay premiums, as does the employer. That money is spent now, so spending it another way doesn't make it more nor less (though less administrative costs should lessen it some). But, business can't use it as an excuse.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #547
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    That's one way, a better way is to pay people more, cease the preferential treatment of capital income (especially non-realized), and promote education.

    Think about the transition from handmade to assembly line goods. It's hard to argue that the transition has not been a good thing. However, it caused problems until the workers formed unions and earned a reasonable wage.
    I'm sorry, but from the examples I've seen, your remedy has not born the fruit the theory promised.

    Spending on education is substantial, and the manufacturing sector has certainly taken a beating as a result of union actions.

    I think the gulf between our two opinions is rather vast.

  8. #548
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Shouldn't be anymore than we pay now. We pay premiums, as does the employer. That money is spent now, so spending it another way doesn't make it more nor less (though less administrative costs should lessen it some). But, business can't use it as an excuse.
    So, give us a number. How much should an employer be expected to pay for each employee and how much should each individual be expected to pay as a percentage of wages (FYI: Our employees currently pay nothing)...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #549
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good afternoon, ocean515.

    Why yes, ocean! It's the only logical conclusion that one could draw! To quote you,



    :


    Hope that leg is coming along...

  10. #550
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,054

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    They've been doing that for a long time now. Nothing new in that. I don't think we can blame Obama for something that started decades ago. Even now, it's more an excuse than a reason. But it underscores the reason to remove healthcare from employment, giving them one less thing to blame.
    No, they haven't. Businesses are best built on full-time commitment, and always have been. The conversations being had in executive meetings are different than anything I've heard in the past 15 years, and my industry colleagues are saying the same. This is unchartered territory.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •