Page 201 of 215 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 2145

Thread: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

  1. #2001
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New York/London
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    76

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Donc View Post
    Hhmm...You must be one of those, RARE seniors with no pre-existing conditions Eh?
    Yeah.

    <Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, workers earning more than $200,000 a year ($250,000 for joint filers) must pay higher Medicare hospital insurance (HI) taxes beginning in 2013. The new tax is 2.35% (an increase of 0.9%) of applicable wages above those thresholds, so a worker earning $300,000 a year will pay HI taxes of 1.45% on $200,000 plus 2.35% on $100,000. There is no change to the employer’s share of the HI tax.>


    High-Income Individuals to Pay Higher Medicare Taxes Starting in 2013 | Towers Watson - Towers Watson

    Look on the positive side of BOCARE....people with pre-existing conditions cannot be denied health insurance as of 2014.So if you have a pre-existing condition more than likely your " private insurance "will not cost you more.In essence, the cost is spread around.Smacks of socialism eh?
    Technically under the Affordable Healthcare Act, I can afford all premiums and just pay the fine which is cheaper. Then when I'm sick, I can just get insurance after the fact.

    Either way, its a win for me. Not so much for the individuals who have to play by the rules and the misfortune who this is designed to help.

    I never said I was part of the solution.
    Last edited by AmazonTania; 07-29-13 at 01:57 AM.

  2. #2002
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New York/London
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    76

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, trends already in place before reform. Why would you believe reform is the cause? Would other economic factors be more likely, just as they were before reform?
    Corporations making record profits. Retail Sales are growing. Wholesale sales are growing. So no.

  3. #2003
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonTania View Post
    Corporations making record profits. Retail Sales are growing. Wholesale sales are growing. So no.
    As they have been, by decreasing full time employment, outsourcing, automation, and lowering wages. So, my question still stands.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #2004
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New York/London
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    76

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    As they have been, by decreasing full time employment, outsourcing, automation, and lowering wages. So, my question still stands.
    Labour cost have not decreased at all. Neither has employee compensation. So you are wrong. Also you have ignored the fact that sales are higher, which means corporations are more profitable. There is really no reason why there should be a reduction in hours and a surge in part-time labour.

    The only explanation is uncertainty from a new governmental regulatory burden.
    Last edited by AmazonTania; 07-29-13 at 02:09 AM.

  5. #2005
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonTania View Post
    Yeah.



    Technically under the Affordable Healthcare Act, I can afford all premiums and just pay the fine which is cheaper. Then when I'm sick, I can just get insurance after the fact.

    Either way, its a win for me. Not so much for the individuals who have to play by the rules and the misfortune who this is designed to help.

    I never said I was part of the solution.


    WELL...hopefully,as Barney Fife woulda said, we,ll nip in the bud the almost fifty thousand Americans deaths every year do lack of healthcare.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  6. #2006
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonTania View Post
    Labour cost have not decreased at all.
    Unit labor costs in nonfarm businesses fell 4.3 percent in the first
    quarter of 2013, the combined effect of a 3.8 percent decrease in hourly
    compensation and the 0.5 percent increase in productivity. The decline in hourly compensation is the largest in the series, which begins in 1947. First Quarter 2013, Revised

  7. #2007
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New York/London
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    76

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Unit labor costs in nonfarm businesses fell 4.3 percent in the first
    quarter of 2013, the combined effect of a 3.8 percent decrease in hourly
    compensation and the 0.5 percent increase in productivity. The decline in hourly compensation is the largest in the series, which begins in 1947. First Quarter 2013, Revised
    That's the precentage change. Unit Labor cost are higher than pre-recession levels.


  8. #2008
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonTania View Post
    Labour cost have not decreased at all. Neither has employee compensation. So you are wrong. Also you have ignored the fact that sales are higher, which means corporations are more profitable. There is really no reason why there should be a reduction in hours and a surge in part-time labour.

    The only explanation is uncertainty from a new governmental regulatory burden.
    I hate to have to link everything, but:


    The incredible shrinking pay raise: Wages can't keep up with inflation

    The incredible shrinking pay raise: Wages can't keep up with inflation - CSMonitor.com

    The Incredible Shrinking Pay Raise: Wages Can't Keep Up With Inflation

    The Incredible Shrinking Pay Raise: Wages Can't Keep Up With Inflation

    Unit labor costs in nonfarm businesses fell 4.3 percent in the first quarter of 2013, the combined effect of a 3.8 percent decrease in hourly compensation and the 0.5 percent increase in productivity. The decline in hourly compensation is the largest in the series, which begins in 1947. However, over the last four quarters hourly compensation increased 2.0 percent and unit labor costs rose 1.1 percent. (See chart 2 and table A.)

    http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/prod2.pdf

    Do you really need the numbers concerning part time employment?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #2009
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Unit labor costs in nonfarm businesses fell 4.3 percent in the first
    quarter of 2013, the combined effect of a 3.8 percent decrease in hourly
    compensation and the 0.5 percent increase in productivity. The decline in hourly compensation is the largest in the series, which begins in 1947. First Quarter 2013, Revised
    Missed us giving the same link. Great minds.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #2010
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds 195,000 Jobs; Unemployment Remains 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonTania View Post
    That's the precentage change. Unit Labor cost are higher than pre-recession levels.
    ]
    Duh! Of course they'd improve a little bit. Not the point.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •