Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 297

Thread: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

  1. #31
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    Disneydude already qualified his statement, which is to say people should be able to pray in universities anytime they like so long as they are not disruptive. I pretty much agree with that statement for public universities, private universities should do as they please.
    Thank you. They can even pray softly in class if they choose to do so. What they aren't free to do is stand on their desks, disrupting the class and praise the almighty at the expense of students that are trying to listen to the lecture.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #32
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,928

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    How is wearing a cross different than sporting a confederate flag? One person thinks their interpretation of the symbol is the only one that is valid and they don't take any time to think of how their hateful symbols affect others. People have ancestors who were brutalized and oppressed over both symbols. She needs to save the crosses for her church. Universities should be bastions of inclusion and welcomeness for diverse individuals.
    How very inclusive that thought is. Really.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    of course the student should be able to wear the cross ,,, even the ACLU would take this up ... I remember that a school denied a group of students space after school because it was a Bible-study group ... the ACLU said they were like any other group or club and had the right to get space if the other groups got it ... sheeeesh ...

  4. #34
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    How is wearing a cross different than sporting a confederate flag? One person thinks their interpretation of the symbol is the only one that is valid and they don't take any time to think of how their hateful symbols affect others. People have ancestors who were brutalized and oppressed over both symbols. She needs to save the crosses for her church. Universities should be bastions of inclusion and welcomeness for diverse individuals.
    The difference is, the confederate flag is much more a symbol of hatred and bigotry...a cross isn't.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #35
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    If your not disturbing anyone else, you can prayer out loud. But as there is usually others who also have rights, being polite is not too much to ask. The law states that state employees can't lead a prayer. There is nothing preventing students other than the rights of others to not be annoyed. So, he's exaggerating a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1
    Disneydude already qualified his statement, which is to say people should be able to pray in universities anytime they like so long as they are not disruptive. I pretty much agree with that statement for public universities, private universities should do as they please.
    to both of you on this part of exaggeration, I would say you are wrong, and wrong for this reason, here is disney's first statement that brought in this part of the disagreement...

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude
    ...They have a right to pray silently in public anytime they want. They wouldn't have a right to pray in a disrupting manner.
    disney did say that students had the right to pray anytime they wanted, but silently. He asserted that to pray out loud would be disruptive. That is a crock. So when adpst said what he said to have Boo call it exaggerating was incorrect. adpst was exactly right in his assertion as to what disney said. I guess technically you could pray out loud without opening your mouth, but I'd like to see it.

    To Joe, you're right being polite is not too much to ask, and if someone is praying, the polite thing to do if you don't want to hear it is to move along. As for this supposed "right" to not be annoyed, show me where this is in the bill of rights, I don't believe I've seen that...

    To Mike, and Joe - The key here hinges on what is "disruptive"? If a student, or student group stands up in the middle of a class, and interrupts the teacher with prayer, then yes, I would agree that is disruptive. But, if you have that same group, saying a prayer in the quad before starting their day, and you don't like it? So what? move along...The problem is not that they are trying to impose anything on either of you, but rather the other way around, you're trying to quash their practice, thereby imposing your beliefs on them.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #36
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Thank you. They can even pray softly in class if they choose to do so. What they aren't free to do is stand on their desks, disrupting the class and praise the almighty at the expense of students that are trying to listen to the lecture.
    So you are now changing your original statement?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,080

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Any rule which would prohibit the student from wearing that cross is simply a violation of their rights.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #38
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    Can someone please explain to me how wearing a tiny symbol of one's religion possibly be offensive?

    I have thrown every possible scenario I can imagine against the wall and thus far nothing has stuck!
    Bizarre and petty rules like this are like roaches: everywhere but they tend to scatter when you shine a light on them, as was the case here. I love though that the university fell over itself to apologize and correct the situation but we still get quotes like "I know Christianity is being attacked. Now, I know it first-hand and it sickens me and saddens me" and “We need to band together as Christians and fight back." which are words more suitable for religion being banned outright or Christians being rounded up into concentration camps rather than because of some little idiot banning religious accessories. Typical Christian hysteria.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Bizarre and petty rules like this are like roaches: everywhere but they tend to scatter when you shine a light on them, as was the case here. I love though that the university fell over itself to apologize and correct the situation but we still get quotes like "I know Christianity is being attacked. Now, I know it first-hand and it sickens me and saddens me" and “We need to band together as Christians and fight back." which are words more suitable for religion being banned outright or Christians being rounded up into concentration camps rather than because of some little idiot banning religious accessories. Typical Christian hysteria.
    Right. We don't want to get hysterical about Jews or Muslims losing their rights either.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    Can someone please explain to me how wearing a tiny symbol of one's religion possibly be offensive?

    I have thrown every possible scenario I can imagine against the wall and thus far nothing has stuck!
    What's interesting about this is that the University is concerned about some imaginary person being offended when they are offending a real person right in front of them.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •