Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 297

Thread: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

  1. #231
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    A more practical application of this principle would be "turn the other cheek, and then call your lawyer."
    Getting your eye for an eye is reverting back to the OT, that is the wonderful thing about christanism, you can rationalize nearly everything with the canon.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #232
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    The definition of "socialism" is certainly slippery, is it not? It seems to take on whatever meaning is most convenient.
    No, it is just that some who read works by Goldberg believe they can twist meanings into something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #233
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    WTF does any of this socialism crap have to do with the argument? Obama could be a radical anarchist and it doesn't make any difference because he did not make the policy nor enforce it. Socialism has nothing to do with any of this as it is an economic system which does not determine anything about the religious beliefs or non-beliefs of it's people. Talk about your derailments. If you want to argue the meaning of socialism go argue it in a thread that deals with it. Don't bring it into unrelated issues because you cannot deal with the actual topic and want to distract from the real issue.
    It's here because these type of restrictions generally begin with the political left. Much like this. In Order to Form a More Perfect Regulated Community... | National Review Online

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    having better social programs is not the same as having socialist policies. I am sorry, but as a person who knows about socialism, I can see no evidence that Obama is to the left of me politically (which he would have to be to be a socialist).
    There seems to be a link between Socialism and social programs but as you say, that doesn't necessarily imply socialism..

    When the founders started the US there was no need for a decent program to help people who struggle so badly that they are living at the periphery of prosperity/existence.
    Well of course there was at that time, probably moreso than any other time in US history. But the lack of social programs meant that neighbor helped neighbor, a tradition which continued until the government became involved. Now that philosophy is slowly disappearing.

    There was enough room and natural resources for people to "work it out for themselves". The founding fathers could not have predicted that the US would become a behemoth with 300 million inhabitants, with cities in which many millions live, where drugs/gangs/violence thrive and where there is a need for a good social safety net. You cannot blame the founding father's for not being fortune tellers, you can blame politicians that should know better.
    The philosophy of the country changed dramatically since 1776 with the largest changes coming with the baby boomers.

    Self rescue from poverty without help from the government (but rely on churches etc) is not realistic.
    It sure is. It's been done for centuries.

    There are just not enough possibilities to work yourself out of poverty, the economic growth does not exist and will never exist anymore.
    Not so. There are tons of opportunities out there just as there always has been in any free society. It does take a special skill to recognize them perhaps but there are many.

    There are just too many people living in the US/world for that to be possible.
    How so? I really don;t see the connection? The more people there, the more opportunities there are, if there is a free market system.

    And I would much rather pay a bit more in taxes to make sure that children do not have to live on the streets or for veterans to live in their cars etc. This will also have an effect on education, crime and prosperity IMHO.
    It seems that high taxes may not always lead to equal prosperity for everyone. Culture is more important than taxes.

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    This is where I get one of my pagan friends to wear a pentacle on campus and then hit the university with a massive lawsuit if they fail to tell them to remove it.
    Perhaps not wearing a religious symbol of some sort would offend believers and you'll be forced to wear one. This is the insanity of it all. We are all being asked to smother are own beliefs because someone, somewhere, might be offended.

  6. #236
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Look through my posts again and read your response. You said if the word is that malleable it has no meaning. Correct? And the word, as demonstrated, is malleable, I gave you several examples of why, in fact. Did you not see them? Do you not see that the word Socialism is malleable? Or do you believe that Castro el al had the same meaning in mind?

    You're obviously full of good bars.
    Actually no, that's not the case. Any person can lie, deceive, misuse a word. But the word itself doesn't lose its meaning. The meaning is still what it is. Showing that some misuse the word doesn't mean the word holds that meaning. We can correctly say those where not socialism in action, but what they were - communism and fascism.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #237
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Actually no, that's not the case. Any person can lie, deceive, misuse a word. But the word itself doesn't lose its meaning. The meaning is still what it is. Showing that some misuse the word doesn't mean the word holds that meaning. We can correctly say those where not socialism in action, but what they were - communism and fascism.
    Some misused the word? According to your Websters definition, many millions of people throughout the world have misused the word. It therefore means nothing and policy definitions must then become more precise.

  8. #238
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    If Obama, Bush III, is a socialist, then so was his predecessor, Bush II.

    But, back to the issue of Christians and whether they are persecuted in the USA or not. I say not.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #239
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Some misused the word? According to your Websters definition, many millions of people throughout the world have misused the word. It therefore means nothing and policy definitions must then become more precise.
    Or better yet, attack tactics should not only be more precise, but more original. This is an old, old tactic. Trying to paint someone as a socialist so you don't have to actually debate the topic is as old as the nation itself. It's time to grow up. or at least ry something new. At thsi point I'd settle for that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #240
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    If Obama, Bush III, is a socialist, then so was his predecessor, Bush II.

    But, back to the issue of Christians and whether they are persecuted in the USA or not. I say not.
    I quite agree. And there is very little to support that they are, so it's not really much of an issue.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •