Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 297

Thread: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No. A word can't be so malleable as to have no meaning at all.

    so·cial·ism noun \ˈsō-shə-ˌli-zəm\

    Definition of SOCIALISM

    1: any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods

    2 a : a system of society or group living in which there is no private property
    b : a system or condition of society in which the means of production are owned and controlled by the state

    3: a stage of society in Marxist theory transitional between capitalism and communism and distinguished by unequal distribution of goods and pay according to work done
    So Obama would appear to qualify under 1. and 3. and parts of 2. So where's the beef?

  2. #182
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So Obama would appear to qualify under 1. and 3. and parts of 2. So where's the beef?
    No. Not even close. That you even suggest that shows how skewed your vision is. Because such a view is so far removed from reality reasoned discourse is all but impossible.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #183
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,014

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    I am an atheist and I could care less if someone wears a small cross around the neck, David star or a muslim equivalent of the cross/star.

    This is a totally personal expression of religion that bothers nobody, this is completely different from prayers over the com system, etc. which does infringe on the rights of people on a public school to not have to be confronted/bothered by these kinds of things. I would also have an issue with preaching communism, muslim or other religious and or political speeches coming over the public announce systems at school.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No. Not even close. That you even suggest that shows how skewed your vision is. Because such a view is so far removed from reality reasoned discourse is all but impossible.
    Have you read your definition and looked at Obama's record?

  5. #185
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,414

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So Obama would appear to qualify under 1. and 3. and parts of 2. So where's the beef?
    Wow.

    I think this is the problem with many Conservatives, they just don't know any better. You really do think the left is all about socialism don't you?

  6. #186
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Have you read your definition and looked at Obama's record?
    Yep, and calling him a socialist is a major leap.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    Wow.

    I think this is the problem with many Conservatives, they just don't know any better. You really do think the left is all about socialism don't you?
    No, no, of course not!

    But remind please. What are they for?

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yep, and calling him a socialist is a major leap.
    No, it's a small step.

    Have you read his background? His bio? Familiar with some of his programs?

    Why should you be in denial? I would think you'd be pleased? Why would anyone vote for him if they didn't believe he didn't lean towards the left?

  9. #189
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    No, it's a small step.

    Have you read his background? His bio? Familiar with some of his programs?

    Why should you be in denial? I would think you'd be pleased? Why would anyone vote for him if they didn't believe he didn't lean towards the left?
    No him well. He's not a socialist.

    Obama's No Socialist. I Should Know.

    The funny thing is, of course, that socialists know that Barack Obama is not one of us. Not only is he not a socialist, he may in fact not even be a liberal. Socialists understand him more as a hedge-fund Democrat -- one of a generation of neoliberal politicians firmly committed to free-market policies.

    The first clear indication that Obama is not, in fact, a socialist, is the way his administration is avoiding structural changes to the financial system. Nationalization is simply not in the playbook of Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and his team. They favor costly, temporary measures that can easily be dismantled should the economy stabilize. Socialists support nationalization and see it as a means of creating a banking system that acts like a highly regulated public utility. The banks would then cease to be sinkholes for public funds or financial versions of casinos and would become essential to reenergizing productive sectors of the economy.

    Obama's No Socialist. I Should Know. - Washington Post

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No him well. He's not a socialist.

    Obama's No Socialist. I Should Know.

    The funny thing is, of course, that socialists know that Barack Obama is not one of us. Not only is he not a socialist, he may in fact not even be a liberal. Socialists understand him more as a hedge-fund Democrat -- one of a generation of neoliberal politicians firmly committed to free-market policies.

    The first clear indication that Obama is not, in fact, a socialist, is the way his administration is avoiding structural changes to the financial system. Nationalization is simply not in the playbook of Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and his team. They favor costly, temporary measures that can easily be dismantled should the economy stabilize. Socialists support nationalization and see it as a means of creating a banking system that acts like a highly regulated public utility. The banks would then cease to be sinkholes for public funds or financial versions of casinos and would become essential to reenergizing productive sectors of the economy.

    Obama's No Socialist. I Should Know. - Washington Post
    Well there you have it. The Washington Post says he's not a Socialist so it must be true! We'll overlook his background, his bip and his deeds and go by the Washington Post. That certainly requires a great less thinking on the subject.

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •