Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 297

Thread: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

  1. #141
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,574

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Crucifixion?
    Seems appropriate.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Did he not apologize and see the error of his way?
    Of course the bigger questions is how he came to expect that he could tell any woman to do remove a Christian symbol worn like a necklace. Did he just suddenly decide this was an offensive enough gesture that it had to be stopped immediately?

    This really doesn't sound like a place of higher learning. All those sensitivity training courses seem to be having the opposite effect.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,837

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Because one is welcomed wearing religious symbols and the other wearing a religious symbol, much smaller though, is banned? That shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.
    Obviously difficult for you to understand the differences between the two individuals.

    The Muslim mother is part of a group that goes into schools and explains Islam to kids who have heard nothing but bad words about the faith.

    The student was part of a group that was supposed to welcome new and potential students to Sonoma State. She was not supposed to represent any religion as part of that task.

    Again I have to ask: Why was it so important to her that she ran out of the room when asked to cover up her crucifix before meeting new students but when a glamour shot is taken of her - no crucifix.

    The whole thing sounds like a pre-planned event
    And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  4. #144
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not complicated. I merely have experience as well, and don't believe him. Nothing more; nothing less.
    Oh, ok....It was just a little disjointed. Anyway, then, back to my original question, Who cares? Do you think that your particular experiences are relevant in anyway concerning this case at Sonoma State?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #145
    Advisor Morrigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    10-13-14 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    351

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Obviously difficult for you to understand the differences between the two individuals.

    The Muslim mother is part of a group that goes into schools and explains Islam to kids who have heard nothing but bad words about the faith.

    The student was part of a group that was supposed to welcome new and potential students to Sonoma State. She was not supposed to represent any religion as part of that task.

    Again I have to ask: Why was it so important to her that she ran out of the room when asked to cover up her crucifix before meeting new students but when a glamour shot is taken of her - no crucifix.

    The whole thing sounds like a pre-planned event
    To the last point, it could have been a subtle and ironic gesture of protest against the school.

    Anyway, freedom of speech and all that. If I want to wear a shirt with a big-ass cross on the front and Bible scripture on the back, then so what? If I want to wear a shirt covered with praises to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, so what? If I want to wear a shirt deriding the American government as terrorists, praising their every decision, claiming that everyone in the world is a baked potato, or just about anything else short of directly threatening anyone or anything, then why would it be a problem? Some people are far too easily offended by any and all religious or political statements whatsoever and they are free to do so. However, they cross the line when they force their beliefs and hurt feelings onto others.
    Last edited by Morrigi; 07-05-13 at 04:42 PM.

  6. #146
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh, ok....It was just a little disjointed. Anyway, then, back to my original question, Who cares? Do you think that your particular experiences are relevant in anyway concerning this case at Sonoma State?
    1) I didn't say anyone cares. 2) I was addressing his comment. 3) he made a claim he refused to support (odd you don't call him on that).

    As for Sonoma state, she'll win and they will lose if they contest her. What they asked her can't be enforced.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #147
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Of course the bigger questions is how he came to expect that he could tell any woman to do remove a Christian symbol worn like a necklace. Did he just suddenly decide this was an offensive enough gesture that it had to be stopped immediately?

    This really doesn't sound like a place of higher learning. All those sensitivity training courses seem to be having the opposite effect.
    The person acted like a jerk. It's not the first time a person at a job screwed up, and it won't be the last. But whatever you do, please don't pretend 'poor Christians' are being singled out by the evil lefties because it's absolutely not the case here.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  8. #148
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    You don't have to.

    anecdotal evidence is just that.

    Believe or don't believe, I do not care.
    And thats the strength of your argument right there in the toilet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #149
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    1) I didn't say anyone cares. 2) I was addressing his comment. 3) he made a claim he refused to support (odd you don't call him on that).

    As for Sonoma state, she'll win and they will lose if they contest her. What they asked her can't be enforced.
    Ok then, we agree....Man that small point was hard to get out of you...ah well....:
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #150
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    And thats the strength of your argument right there in the toilet.

    No, what you're asking is for me to divulge personal information to back up an anecdote, I'm not going to do that. So, I tell you to take it as it is, if you don't hey, great, if you do, hey, great, I don't care...

    I know it to be true, that's about all that can be said on the subject.

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •