Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 297

Thread: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

  1. #131
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Crucifixion?
    Funny, but no, I mean really now....Everyone says how wrong they believe he is for this kind of rule, yet, when pressed on whom it was, and what would happen the response seems to be "who cares?".... This guy receives no sanctions for his bone headed move in creating such a rule, it just leaves it open to more....I mean, if there is no negative outcome, then why not do these things as long as you can get away with them, then move on to the next authoritarian bull move?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #132
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Funny, but no, I mean really now....Everyone says how wrong they believe he is for this kind of rule, yet, when pressed on whom it was, and what would happen the response seems to be "who cares?".... This guy receives no sanctions for his bone headed move in creating such a rule, it just leaves it open to more....I mean, if there is no negative outcome, then why not do these things as long as you can get away with them, then move on to the next authoritarian bull move?
    Did he not apologize and see the error of his way? Do you really need a pound of flesh? I dunno, but asking a student to remove a cross is not on the same scale as...hmmmmm... i dunno, committing murder. Or removing their clothes.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  3. #133
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Did he not apologize...
    Did he? Or did he just give the usual condescending non apology when addressing his crap rule?

    ...and see the error of his way?
    Well, we really don't know do we? Only time would tell that, but my guess is no.

    Do you really need a pound of flesh?
    "Pound of flesh"? No...Accountability? Yes, I think his position, and power of that position warrants it.

    I dunno, but asking a student to remove a cross is not on the same scale as...hmmmmm... i dunno, committing murder.
    Can't you make this point without creating a strawman argument?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #134
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Did he? Or did he just give the usual condescending non apology when addressing his crap rule?



    Well, we really don't know do we? Only time would tell that, but my guess is no.



    "Pound of flesh"? No...Accountability? Yes, I think his position, and power of that position warrants it.



    Can't you make this point without creating a strawman argument?
    My mistake, there is no quote from the orientation supervisor. However, reps from the university have stated:

    University spokeswoman, Susan Kashack, stated,

    “It was absolutely an inappropriate action for him to make that request of her.”

    “It’s possible that political correctness got out of hand.” added SSU President Ruben Arminana.
    Tell me, what would make you happy? will a direct apology be enough or do you want this person to lose their job over this mistake?
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  5. #135
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    My mistake, there is no quote from the orientation supervisor. However, reps from the university have stated:



    Tell me, what would make you happy? will a direct apology be enough or do you want this person to lose their job over this mistake?
    I would like to see some honesty out of the man that actually made the stupid rule. I'd like to see him step forward himself, and not hide behind spokespeople, and come out and say that he made a mistake with that rule, and in the future he would take greater care to think of the ramifications of the rules he puts into place. I certainly don't think that a mediocre response from a spokes person, and a lessor administrator take the fall for this guy's stupidity.

    As for losing his job? Not at present, but if these kinds of things continue to show a religious bias pattern toward those that don't think as he does, and a lack of objectivity in the respect of others free speech rights, then yes, I would at that time call for his resignation.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #136
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I would like to see some honesty out of the man that actually made the stupid rule. I'd like to see him step forward himself, and not hide behind spokespeople, and come out and say that he made a mistake with that rule, and in the future he would take greater care to think of the ramifications of the rules he puts into place. I certainly don't think that a mediocre response from a spokes person, and a lessor administrator take the fall for this guy's stupidity.

    As for losing his job? Not at present, but if these kinds of things continue to show a religious bias pattern toward those that don't think as he does, and a lack of objectivity in the respect of others free speech rights, then yes, I would at that time call for his resignation.
    Perfectly reasonable, IMO.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  7. #137
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ok, so you don't believe his eye witness testimony...So what, who are you? Why should your belief in what someone says they witnessed, or not matter?
    Merely some with experience that doesn't believe him. Nothing more nor less.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #138
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Merely some with experience that doesn't believe him. Nothing more nor less.
    What are you trying to say here?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #139
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What are you trying to say here?
    Not complicated. I merely have experience as well, and don't believe him. Nothing more; nothing less.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: University Tells Student to Remove Cross Necklace

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    How is a 2011 article about a Muslim mother of elementary-age children relevant to a story about a university in 2013?
    Because one is welcomed wearing religious symbols and the other wearing a religious symbol, much smaller though, is banned? That shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •