Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 131

Thread: Egypt army commander suspends constitution[W:95]

  1. #61
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    re: Egypt army commander suspends constitution[W:95]

    You never want to see so many people unhappy and oppressed, but you never like to see the democratic process be trampled on, it sets a dangerous precedent both ways that it is ok to overthrow a government. I will be very concerned if the Obama administration continues to give so much aid to Egypt without repercussions.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  2. #62
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    re: Egypt army commander suspends constitution[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    You never want to see so many people unhappy and oppressed, but you never like to see the democratic process be trampled on, it sets a dangerous precedent both ways that it is ok to overthrow a government. I will be very concerned if the Obama administration continues to give so much aid to Egypt without repercussions.
    ....This is weird. You are correct on something ("correct" being defined as synonymous with "agrees with cpwill").


  3. #63
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    re: Egypt army commander suspends constitution[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    ....This is weird. You are correct on something ("correct" being defined as synonymous with "agrees with cpwill").

    I don't know if that's good or bad.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  4. #64
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,590
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Egypt army commander suspends constitution[W:95]

    I'll say again what I said during the original Egyptian Revolution two years ago: I sincerely hope the Egyptian people get what they want, but they should be a bit more careful about what they are wishing for.

    The country is now destined for at least another 12-18 months of military rule, and IIRC things didn't go all that swimmingly last time, with foreign journalists (including more than a dozen Americans) being rounded up, and female protesters being dragged in for mandatory "virginity tests". When the Muslim Brotherhood's Morsi won, I knew the country would be in the dumpster soon. When Morsi appointed Muslim Brotherhood members to write the Egyptian constitution which required 2/3 vote of Parliament to remove him, then promptly disbanded the entire Parliament giving himself the soul ability to write and implement law, I knew this would happen.

    In less than a year, Morsi and the MB have consolidated power throughout the country. That's what happens when you have a dozen individuals running for president, and 25% of the population votes for their candidate while the rest of the nation splits their vote between the rest.

    The Muslim Brotherhood will not suffer this defeat quietly. I fear for the Egyptian people.

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,354

    re: Egypt army commander suspends constitution[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I'll say again what I said during the original Egyptian Revolution two years ago: I sincerely hope the Egyptian people get what they want, but they should be a bit more careful about what they are wishing for.

    The country is now destined for at least another 12-18 months of military rule, and IIRC things didn't go all that swimmingly last time, with foreign journalists (including more than a dozen Americans) being rounded up, and female protesters being dragged in for mandatory "virginity tests". When the Muslim Brotherhood's Morsi won, I knew the country would be in the dumpster soon. When Morsi appointed Muslim Brotherhood members to write the Egyptian constitution which required 2/3 vote of Parliament to remove him, then promptly disbanded the entire Parliament giving himself the soul ability to write and implement law, I knew this would happen.

    In less than a year, Morsi and the MB have consolidated power throughout the country. That's what happens when you have a dozen individuals running for president, and 25% of the population votes for their candidate while the rest of the nation splits their vote between the rest.

    The Muslim Brotherhood will not suffer this defeat quietly. I fear for the Egyptian people.
    I hope you are wrong about the Brotherhood, but Morsi was out of control. The military seem to be doing their best to put a lid on his followers and maybe it will work.

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,354

    re: Egypt army commander suspends constitution[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    You never want to see so many people unhappy and oppressed, but you never like to see the democratic process be trampled on, it sets a dangerous precedent both ways that it is ok to overthrow a government. I will be very concerned if the Obama administration continues to give so much aid to Egypt without repercussions.
    Morsi and the Brotherhood have trampled all Democratic reforms, dissolved the Parliament and was making all the laws unopposed. How is that part of a "Democratic Process"? The Democratic revolution was hijacked by islamist fundamentalists, there would have been no further elections. Obama was very concerned about giving aid to Morsi and it appears he was right.

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,354

    re: Egypt army commander suspends constitution[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    ....This is weird. You are correct on something ("correct" being defined as synonymous with "agrees with cpwill").

    What is it about islamist fundamentalists you like again?
    I'm happy that Morsi's hijacking of the revolution was stopped. Egyptians don't want sharia law and I can't say I blame them.

  8. #68
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    re: Egypt army commander suspends constitution[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    What is it about islamist fundamentalists you like again?
    not much. neither am i a fan of mobocracy, or juntas.

    I'm happy that Morsi's hijacking of the revolution was stopped. Egyptians don't want sharia law and I can't say I blame them.
    I find it interesting you project your preferences onto them.

    You may want to reconsider. Support for Shariah has remained a consistently solid majority position throughout the revolution.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,354

    re: Egypt army commander suspends constitution[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    not much. neither am i a fan of mobocracy, or juntas.



    I find it interesting you project your preferences onto them.

    You may want to reconsider. Support for Shariah has remained a consistently solid majority position throughout the revolution.
    Wow 1000 people took a poll over a year ago and Egypt is pro Sharia. Buyer regret is a powerful force, and no more than 25% would agree today.
    But this means that you would be against revolution this country if the ELECTED President dissolved Congress and the Supreme Court, rewrote the Constitution and made hinself the chief lawmaker and President for life? It's times like these that I wonder what form of Govt. the right wing really prefers...is it a dictatorship? That scares me more than anything. The further right they move the more they appear to favor a fascist State. Is that what you think we need too?
    Last edited by iguanaman; 07-05-13 at 02:42 AM.

  10. #70
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    re: Egypt army commander suspends constitution[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Maybe last year but not any more
    so you think that a major belief system of the majority of Egyptians for years has been changed and your evidence for this is because you approve of the change?

    Pew: April 2013:

    ....The percentage of Muslims who say they want sharia to be “the official law of the land” varies widely around the world, from fewer than one-in-ten in Azerbaijan (8%) to near unanimity in Afghanistan (99%). But solid majorities in most of the countries surveyed across the Middle East and North Africa, sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and Southeast Asia favor the establishment of sharia, including 71% of Muslims in Nigeria, 72% in Indonesia, 74% in Egypt and 89% in the Palestinian territories....

    They don't draw the same distinction between Shariah and Freedom/Democracy that you do.

    So you would be against revolution this country is the President dissolved Congress, rewrote the Constitution and made hinself the chief lawmaker with no approvals needed? It's times like these that I wonder what form of Govt. the right wing really prefers...is it a dictatorship?
    You appear to be confusing opposition to mobs and juntas as support for the Morsi.

    Our President has decided to blatantly abuse the Constitution, ignore the law, and avoid the required approval of the other branches. Just like Morsi, he has therefore found himself with a large protest movement capable of putting large numbers of people in the streets. That doesn't justify the Army or Marine Corps deciding to arrest him and declare themselves suddenly magically the arbiters of political legitimacy in American society. There is no "good" side in this conflict.
    Last edited by cpwill; 07-05-13 at 02:44 AM.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •