Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 109

Thread: Crisis in Egypt: Morsi and General Al-Sisi vow death

  1. #31
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Crisis in Egypt: Morsi and General Al-Sisi vow death

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Had Bush pulled the crap Morsi has, then I would have hoped that the US military would have thrown him out.
    Political hack alert!!!!!

    You willing to say the same for Obama or are you to partisan to have values of your own?

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  2. #32
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Crisis in Egypt: Morsi and General Al-Sisi vow death

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Precisely. Just as Bush was an unpopular legitimate leader in 2006-2008. In neither case does the presence of low approval numbers plus an active and large protest movement justify a military coup.
    If there were 10-20 million in the streets, you bet it would, even here in the USA.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  3. #33
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: Crisis in Egypt: Morsi and General Al-Sisi vow death

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    Political hack alert!!!!!

    You willing to say the same for Obama or are you to partisan to have values of your own?
    Goes for any president, but I was quoting a Bush comment.

    My point is, if Bush or Obama, or Reagan tried to push through a new constitution that marginalized all minorities and promoted only their own religious group... then I would hope that someone would step in and remove said President.
    PeteEU

  4. #34
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Crisis in Egypt: Morsi and General Al-Sisi vow death

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Morsi is no jewel. But the real loser today is not Morsi, it's representative government and the rule of law.
    I think you need to live in the Middle East for a few years before lecturing us on how the rule of law has been violated because the people of a nation recognized an Islamist authoritarian government/president was about to cast them into the dark ages if they didn't do something about it.

    I'm confused by your position. Are you really an advocate for authoritarian governments? If so, your avatar is inappropriate because the people, which make up the military in Egypt, have spoken and an authoritarian government has been removed, with elections coming soon.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  5. #35
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Crisis in Egypt: Morsi and General Al-Sisi vow death

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Goes for any president, but I was quoting a Bush comment.

    My point is, if Bush or Obama, or Reagan tried to push through a new constitution that marginalized all minorities and promoted only their own religious group... then I would hope that someone would step in and remove said President.
    Fair enough. Just had to make sure you knew no President in history has been more authoritarian than Obama.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  6. #36
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: Crisis in Egypt: Morsi and General Al-Sisi vow death

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    Fair enough.
    Just had to make sure you knew no President in history has been more authoritarian than Obama.
    Bush was worse. Obama is only using the tools that Bush put in place and exploited to the fullest. That does not excuse Obama of course, but one should not downplay the things Bush did to make it possible for Obama to do what he supposedly is doing.
    PeteEU

  7. #37
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,092

    Re: Crisis in Egypt: Morsi and General Al-Sisi vow death

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    I think you need to live in the Middle East for a few years before lecturing us on how the rule of law has been violated because the people of a nation recognized an Islamist authoritarian government/president was about to cast them into the dark ages if they didn't do something about it.

    I'm confused by your position. Are you really an advocate for authoritarian governments? If so, your avatar is inappropriate because the people, which make up the military in Egypt, have spoken and an authoritarian government has been removed, with elections coming soon.
    You forget that the difference between the US right and Morsi are very small. Both believe in many of the same things and act in the same way. Hence Morsi was a hero to the radical religious right in the US, because he did what they have not (as of yet) been able to do.. push a religious based government through favoring themselves and putting other religions and sects within their own at a massive disadvantage.
    PeteEU

  8. #38
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Crisis in Egypt: Morsi and General Al-Sisi vow death

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Bush was worse. Obama is only using the tools that Bush put in place and exploited to the fullest. That does not excuse Obama of course, but one should not downplay the things Bush did to make it possible for Obama to do what he supposedly is doing.
    I see, so if you come across someone who has been beaten to near death, you can’t be blamed for killing them if you beat them because, as you put it, you were just doing what the guy before you did. Is that how it works?

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  9. #39
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Crisis in Egypt: Morsi and General Al-Sisi vow death

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    You forget that the difference between the US right and Morsi are very small. Both believe in many of the same things and act in the same way. Hence Morsi was a hero to the radical religious right in the US, because he did what they have not (as of yet) been able to do.. push a religious based government through favoring themselves and putting other religions and sects within their own at a massive disadvantage.
    lol!!! This is rich. Do you really stay awake at night worrying that the US will become a radically religious nation? Really?? Oh,
    I don’t think the ‘religious right” in the USA were supporting Morsi. Another
    dream on your part.
    Last edited by GPS_Flex; 07-04-13 at 06:39 AM.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  10. #40
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Crisis in Egypt: Morsi and General Al-Sisi vow death

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Had Bush pulled the crap Morsi has, then I would have hoped that the US military would have thrown him out.
    Nope. Here in the U.S. the military is subordinate to civilian authority - and as a military we value that.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •