Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 394

Thread: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

  1. #81
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Do states have the right to define marriage as "only between fertile couples"...how about "only between people aged 18-40"? What if a state wants to define marriage as "only between people of the same religion". See how silly that is?
    What's silly is that you are ignoring that the actual entity of marriage is a construct of one man plus one woman. Now you may go further to restrict some men and some women based on some other criteria, which may or may not be legal, but man and woman isn't a restriction, it's the essence of marriage. Without that, you have something else. And if you want something else, that's fine. I want my Nissan xTerra to be called a mountain bike so I can take it on woodland forest trails, but the mean people who make the laws say a bike is defined as a two-wheeled vehicle that is peddle powered and they're discriminating against my Nissan because of that.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #82
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,528

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    A little piece of paper (which ironically is your avatar) says you are wrong.
    good point...but David believes that only applies to people he personally wants it to apply to. And..."With Liberty and Justice For All"...part of the Pledge of Allegiance...David has petitioned to be removed.

  3. #83
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    No you are being bull headed, but thanks for actually answering the question. Good grief.
    no, as i just proved you said things and assumed things that were nonsensical and factually untrue and thios was agreed on by other posters

    you proved you made mistakes and were wrong
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    I can't say I would be against that. The government should have never gotten involved with marriage.
    Fair enough, but so long as the government is involved then people deserve equal protection under the law.

  5. #85
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    no, as i just proved you said things and assumed things that were nonsensical and factually untrue and thios was agreed on by other posters

    you proved you made mistakes and were wrong
    Your and other posters opinion. Doesn't automatically make you correct.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  6. #86
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No it doesn't. You cannot touch marriage. You cannot smell or see or actually hear marriage. Marriage is an abstract. It is not defined by who is allowed to enter into it. It is defined in how it functions. That is why the "definition" of marriage as "two people of the same race" failed. That is why the DOMA definition of marriage as "a man and a woman" failed. Because that is not how marriage functions in law.
    Marriage is a construct of black-letter law. A gas can is defined, not only as "a container" but by what you put in it. Marriage is similar to that. If you put water in a "gas can", it's not a gas can any more. It's a water can.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  7. #87
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Fair enough, but so long as the government is involved then people deserve equal protection under the law.
    Unless of course, marriage is one man and one woman. They do have equal protection under that law.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  8. #88
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,039

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) yes those failed arguments are quit idiotic
    2.) i agree it probably will be a year before the first cases happens and a review in three.

    i only wonder how many cases and if they will all be solid/big enough to force a sweeping rule or give them an ability to punt
    Hopefully the judge whose case does reach the USSC will rule as carefully as Walker did. It's been a while but I remember when I read his decision. Due to the emotional sensitivity of the case as well as the fact that he was gay* he knew that his decision would be gone through with a fine tooth comb. In the end it was airtight which is probably why the USSC had no choice but to dismiss it.

    *Yes, I know, this is irrelevant but a lot of people saw that a conflict of interest, and all for stupid, irrelevant reasons.

  9. #89
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Actually it doesn't.
    Sorry Charlie. You are just wrong. But you can attempt to keep desperately clinging to that for as long as you can.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #90
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Your and other posters opinion. Doesn't automatically make you correct.
    its not an opinion YOU already proved it. what dont you understand?
    your assumptions were factaully wrong and thats where you made your mistakes, this fact wont change
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •