Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 394

Thread: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

  1. #301
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Seriously, SSM is not the same as Jim Crow and Brown vs Board. It's an illogical comparison similar to those who are anti-SSM bringing up polygamy, bestiality, incest, and any other sexual issue that is not similar to SSM.

    Freedom is allowing people to vote and have their beliefs heard. As of now state SSM bans are constitutional, people have that freedom. What is not freedom is to violate the voting rights of others, force them to go against their beliefs and impose morality upon societies that have decided that same sex unions are not within the definition of marriage. Freedom is not having those who loose in a democratic battle screaming and crying about feeling discriminated (when it isn't illegal) and then forcing their beliefs into law upon the majority. That is tyranny. Forcing states that have banned SSM to accept it is tyranny. It violates the principals of the people in that state and imposes a moral code upon people that have rejected such. In an identical way it would also be tyrannical to do so to a state that has approved of SSM but forcing them to go against that.
    Freedom is sooooo much more than allowing people to vote and have their beliefs heard. In fact...the foundation of freedom protects fundamental rights and freedoms from ever being PUT to a popular vote.

    Lets take a look at what your just wrote through a similar lens: "What freedom not freedom is to violate the voting rights of others, force them to go against their beliefs and impose morality upon societies that have decided that inter-racial unions are not within the definition of marriage. Freedom is not having those who lose in a democratic battle screaming and crying about feeling discriminated (when it isn't illegal) and then forcing their beliefs into law upon the majority. That is tyranny. Forcing states that have banned inter-racial marriage to accept it is tyranny. It violates the principals of the people in that state and imposes a moral code upon people that have rejected such. In an identical way it would also be tyrannical to do so to a state that has approved of inter-racial marriage but forcing them to go against that"

    Digs...the SAME EXACT argument that you are making was raised by the bigots who fought against inter-racial marriage. There is no difference whatsoever.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #302
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    According to what you just posted, then overturning interracial marriage bans was tyranny digsbe. The Loving decision was, according to this argument, a violation of freedom. Because interracial marriage bans were put into place for many of the same reasons that same sex marriage bans were put into place, imposition of a moral code. Those that opposed interracial marriage by far felt that it was morally objectionable to be in an interracial relationship. Even many blacks felt those bans belonged in place or at least opposed such relationships.
    Exactly! The bigots who fought against inter-racial marriage felt just as "morally justified" as those who fight against marriage equality today. The both attempted to proclaim moral superiority where is doesn't exist.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #303
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Morals are relative. You don't seem to know that, so I thought I'd tell you.
    I imagine you don't have a clue about morals or God. I don't really expect much from someone who claims that is is proven that homosexuality is proven to be normal. Rationalization of sin does not change the fact that everyone will give account to the Lord Jesus Christ of things done in this life.

  4. #304
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    I imagine you don't have a clue about morals or God. I don't really expect much from someone who claims that is is proven that homosexuality is proven to be normal. Rationalization of sin does not change the fact that everyone will give account to the Lord Jesus Christ of things done in this life.
    Krishna's ain't.

  5. #305
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    1.)Seriously, SSM is not the same as Jim Crow and Brown vs Board. It's an illogical comparison similar to those who are anti-SSM bringing up polygamy, bestiality, incest, and any other sexual issue that is not similar to SSM.

    2.) Freedom is allowing people to vote and have their beliefs heard.
    3.) As of now state SSM bans are constitutional, people have that freedom.
    4.) What is not freedom is to violate the voting rights of others, force them to go against their beliefs and impose morality upon societies that have decided that same sex unions are not within the definition of marriage. Freedom is not having those who loose in a democratic battle screaming and crying about feeling discriminated (when it isn't illegal) and then forcing their beliefs into law upon the majority. That is tyranny. Forcing states that have banned SSM to accept it is tyranny. It violates the principals of the people in that state and imposes a moral code upon people that have rejected such. In an identical way it would also be tyrannical to do so to a state that has approved of SSM but forcing them to go against that.
    1.) this is one of the most ignorant statements i have ever read from you digs(thats because you typically never make them) and i wonder how many people you offened saying that them wanting equal rights and fighting for civil rights is like bestiality

    2.) factually wrong if that vote infringes on rights
    3.) as of now they arent either because they that argument hasnt been heard and in the few cases they were heard at the state level they were deemed unconstitutional.
    4.) good thing this wouldnt be happening, didnt happen when those bans were overturned and wont happen in the future when they are.

    ALso the statement "forcing/impose morality" is totally intellectual dishonest and shows your biased. No morality will be imposed by granting equality. That statement is 100% false and empty hyperbole.

    There is factually no tyranny present.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #306
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    I imagine you don't have a clue about morals or God.
    I happen to be one of the most religious people here. I'm certain I understand God far better than you.

    I don't really expect much from someone who claims that is is proven that homosexuality is proven to be normal.
    It has been. I don't expect much someone who chooses to be ignorant of these facts. You have chosen to bury your head in the sand. That's fine... but each and every time you demonstrate how little you understand about this issue, I'll be there to point out how wrong you are. You won't get it, but others will.

    Rationalization of sin does not change the fact that everyone will give account to the Lord Jesus Christ of things done in this life.
    I'm Jewish. Jesus was nothing more than a prophet to me. And your belief in what Jesus represents to YOU is meaningless.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #307
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    So if sodomy is the problem, do you favor prohibiting heterosexual sodomy?



    Studies show that there is a lot more heterosexual sodomy going on than homosexual sodomy.

    So those who are opposed to sodomy might need to focus a little better

  8. #308
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    im guessing since the comparison is logical and similar it will never end untill equality is achieved.
    Of course it bothers those that are against equality because it destroys just about any opposition and shinse a light on how silly arguing against it is and how wrong it is. Its good, very good.



    Those who are opposed to equal rights for all in the USA will end up disappointed because most Americans support equal rights now and that sentiment will be stronger in the future.

    The haters lost in the past, they are losing now, and they will always lose.

    Because there is more love than hate in this world.

    "Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

  9. #309
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I'm Jewish. Jesus was nothing more than a prophet to me. And your belief in what Jesus represents to YOU is meaningless.
    So you claim to be a Christian who rejects Jesus Christ as anything more than a Jewish prophet.


  10. #310
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I happen to be one of the most religious people here. I'm certain I understand God far better than you.
    I never cease to be amazed at how many people make statements like that. It seems one of the defining characteristics of those that are psychotic is that they all think they understand God far better than others. It's probably because of all the voices in their head.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •