Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 394

Thread: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

  1. #161
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Not quite sure how you can make that call from Europe and not being DT himself. Are you signalling that you want others to tell you what's important to you and what affects you now?




    I don't need or want anyone, including you, to try to tell me anything.

    I don't pay much attention to others rabbit-ass ideas.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 07-02-13 at 01:38 PM.

  2. #162
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Show me somewhere, anywhere, in any thread on DP in which someone has articulated some specific reason why or how gay marriage harms the country. Not nebulous claims about moral degradation or the fall of society, but some specific actual practical harm. I've never seen any such thing, but go ahead, prove me wrong.
    No thanks it's a fool's errand. You don't believe any harm is possible so every argument made claiming harm you dismiss as "nebulous claims about moral degradation" or whatever.

    Look, we get it, you don't believe any harm will come of it, can't imagine any harm will come of it, by golly there's no way in hell any harm will come of it. That's just fine. However, your opinion isn't a widespread as you like to tell yourself.

  3. #163
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,567

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    You do realize we were founded on Christian principles right? The founding fathers wanted a Christian nation, you do realize that right?
    Actually that's not true...as stated in the Treaties with Tripole. In fact, John Adams reiterated that point..."this nation is NOT founded on Christianity!".

    You are incorrect in that statement. Would you like to provide some evidence to your claim?

  4. #164
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I don't need or want anyone, including you, to try to tell me anything.
    There you go. Now try extending that courtesy to others in this regard.

  5. #165
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Though a few were on and off deists none that I'm aware of wanted a theocracy. In fact they rather abhorred the notion of a state religion.
    Who said anything about a theocracy?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  6. #166
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Actually that's not true...as stated in the Treaties with Tripole. In fact, John Adams reiterated that point..."this nation is NOT founded on Christianity!".

    You are incorrect in that statement. Would you like to provide some evidence to your claim?
    Christian Principles, that you cannot argue with.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  7. #167
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No thanks it's a fool's errand. You don't believe any harm is possible so every argument made claiming harm you dismiss as "nebulous claims about moral degradation" or whatever.

    Look, we get it, you don't believe any harm will come of it, can't imagine any harm will come of it, by golly there's no way in hell any harm will come of it. That's just fine. However, your opinion isn't a widespread as you like to tell yourself.
    You just claimed that this has been discussed over and over again. Now you can't be bothered to find one single example? I'm not even challenging you to find a valid harm (which I know is impossible), just someone asserting a specific harm.

    Sadly, I'm well aware that my opinion isn't nearly widespread enough. Nevertheless, it's not really an opinion that there aren't any actual harms that stem from gay marriage, it's a fact. Your unwillingness to even attempt to assert one demonstrates that on some level you already get that.

  8. #168
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Christian Principles, that you cannot argue with.
    Such as?

  9. #169
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,567

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Hey...let's all go to the party with Jennifer...uh...for observation purposes!

  10. #170
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: After DOMA, gay couples still would not receive many federal benefits. [W:345]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Who said anything about a theocracy?
    You did:

    Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr
    You do realize we were founded on Christian principles right? The founding fathers wanted a Christian nation, you do realize that right?

Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •