Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 539

Thread: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

  1. #491
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Then you need to look more because there are three levels of scrutiny (at least) used by the SCOTUS and they range from compelling to important to legitimate.
    well what i have been asking is, those 3 levels you site, do you have a statement/ ruling by the court, that states /says in direct words....that the interest of a state has to be advanced, to keep a ban in place.

  2. #492
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    i have founds some information concerning laws which have been passed and challenged, and in the information, they speak of the states interest being advanced in the sense of laws being made to make people do things like..... wear seat belts.

    since i cannot find, anything of the opposite statement, i am going to agree with you what you have said, becuase i cannot find anything of..... negative or detrimental interest.
    Last edited by Master PO; 07-02-13 at 10:34 PM.

  3. #493
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    well what i have been asking is, those 3 levels you site, do you have a statement/ ruling by the court, that states /says in direct words....that the interest of a state has to be advanced, to keep a ban in place.
    That is simply not how constitutional law works. It is based off of how the SCOTUS has ruled on previous cases and the precedent they set in those rulings. They have stated these levels of scrutiny in various cases, several examples were given in many of those links I posted earlier, but I will not go back through and post more just so you can continue to ask the same ridiculous questions over and over. The SCOTUS does not have to come out and say "yes, this is the levels of scrutiny and exactly what we are looking for in each one". That just isn't how they operate. They intentionally rule on cases based on the points of that individual case. But a legal scholar (which I'm not, but that doesn't prevent me from studying them nor posting what their views on this are) can summarize quite well (as they have in many of those links I posted, which were almost all from law schools) how the SCOTUS rules on/within levels of scrutiny.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #494
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i have founds some information concerning laws which have been passed and challenged, and in the information, they speak of the states interest being advanced in the sense of laws being made to make people do things like..... wear seat belts.
    Yes, because the state can show a legitimate interest being furthered in laws that punish people for not wearing seat belts. They cannot show a legitimate state interest being furthered in laws that restrict two people of the same sex from getting married though. It is based on what the state interest is that is being claimed to be furthered and how exactly that state interest is actually furthered by a restriction or law/regulation.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #495
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Yes, because the state can show a legitimate interest being furthered in laws that punish people for not wearing seat belts. They cannot show a legitimate state interest being furthered in laws that restrict two people of the same sex from getting married though. It is based on what the state interest is that is being claimed to be furthered and how exactly that state interest is actually furthered by a restriction or law/regulation.
    i will concede to you......

  6. #496
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    the constitution is a very easy read, i am sorry, you cannot understand it but if you continue to make attempts at trying to understand it, i am very you you will master it in time, i bid ......good luck to you.
    I'm the one the courts have agreed with, remember. Perhaps it is you who don't understand it? It's possible you know.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #497
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm the one the courts have agreed with, remember. Perhaps it is you who don't understand it? It's possible you know.
    i am the one the constitution, agrees with , Perhaps it is you who don't understand it? It's possible you know.

  8. #498
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i am the one the constitution, agrees with , Perhaps it is you who don't understand it? It's possible you know.
    Apparently not. The arbitrator of that says you're wrong.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #499
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Apparently not. The arbitrator of that says you're wrong.
    the constitution speaks truth, and its there for everyone to read, and government cannot discriminate...the constitution does not apply to people or business, because they are not limited.

  10. #500
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    the constitution speaks truth, and its there for everyone to read, and government cannot discriminate...the constitution does not apply to people or business, because they are not limited.
    Court ruled; doesn't violate the constitution.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •