Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 539

Thread: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

  1. #431
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,794

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I'd rather have direct democracy than a democratic republic......

    Furthermore all democracy is nothing more than "mob rule" - that's why we have a Bill of Rights and constitution. Presently marriage is not a ****ing right - therefore marriage can be defined by the state via the Tenth Amendment.
    watching how emotional you get is funny especially when you are just flat out wrong.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #432
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    It does matter that Jim Crow Laws were in place before the Equal Protection Clause was added as an addendum to the Fourteenth Amendment...

    Furthermore I have no desire to even argue these FACTS with people who either a) argue with their emotions or are ignorant to civics....
    Well done on the irony. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was intentional. And no the equal protection clause was not added as an addendum to the fourteenth amendment, it was just part of the text of the fourteenth amendment. What does matter is that this happened in the 1860's, whereas the two things you alleged to have been ended "because the constitution was amended or addendums were added to preexisting amendments" didn't, in fact, end until the 1950's-60's. So if your argument is that the fourteenth amendment - and not the two cases I mentioned - ended anti-miscegenation laws and segregation in schools, you're going to have to account for the roughly 90 year gap in your reasoning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I'm going to go now. I will be back later; While I'm gone - show me a) where marriage is a law, b) how does not allowing gays to marry violate the constitution or Bill of Rights or c) has any precedence in US law ....
    Show you where marriage is a law? There are entire bodies of law about marriage. I'd suggest starting with the family law code of your home state. If you mean you want me to show you where the right to marry is constitutionally protected start with Maynard v Hill, continue on with Meyer v Nebraska, Skinner v Oklahoma, Griswold v Connecticut, and about ten other cases that make or reassert the point that marriage is a fundamental right under the due process clause of the fourteenth amendment.

    How does not allowing SSM violate the 14th amendment? Start by reading Varnum v Brien.
    Where's the precedent? Start with Loving v Virginia.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I don't want to hear ****ing opinions or ignorance of the constitution....
    Again with the irony. You crack me up.

  3. #433
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,570

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    When did anyone ask me to post the entire history of same sex marriage?

    History of same-sex unions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Christianity has had it out for same sex marriage for thousands of years.
    wow, that was a creepy read. most of those examples claim they were "like gay marriage" or similar too, but obviously it's open to interpritation and NOT hard facts. and certainly not enough historical evidence to justify a remake of a one of civilzation's most basic traditions. sorry

  4. #434
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    wow, that was a creepy read. most of those examples claim they were "like gay marriage" or similar too, but obviously it's open to interpritation and NOT hard facts. and certainly not enough historical evidence to justify a remake of a one of civilzation's most basic traditions. sorry
    We "remake" laws and traditions as we, as a society, grow all the time. Hence why we "remade" the tradition of owning slaves. Hence why we "remade" the tradition of treating women as less than men. We have even remade the tradition of having a small group of people ruling the people by having not only just a democracy, but a constitutional republic. Our form of government was unique in that time because it combined many ideas about government and put it into a working system in order to try to better ensure rights for the people are protected. It isn't perfect, but the basic system is better than many other forms of government when it comes to trying to protect rights and even just trying to treat citizens fairly.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #435
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The rights and liberties of the individual are supreme, and the majority can be damned if they desire to infringe upon that.
    I was just illustrating a point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #436
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    wow, that was a creepy read. most of those examples claim they were "like gay marriage" or similar too, but obviously it's open to interpritation and NOT hard facts. and certainly not enough historical evidence to justify a remake of a one of civilzation's most basic traditions. sorry
    A remake? How exactly does allowing same sex couples to marry change anything about heterosexual marriages? That argument is odd. For someone claiming to care about "hard facts" you would think you could offer a better argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  7. #437
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    So were many interracial marriage bans and segregation of schools laws.
    i am glad you stated this.

    the "will of the people" in voting is not a absolute, meaning you cannot make laws, which would take away rights of people, or deny people privileges, unless the state can show it is not in there interest.

    that is why we have republican government and not democratic government,...or democracy.

  8. #438
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,570

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    A remake? How exactly does allowing same sex couples to marry change anything about heterosexual marriages? That argument is odd. For someone claiming to care about "hard facts" you would think you could offer a better argument.
    Then I'll say it in language you can understand. How? by quoting your fearless leader. This is what PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE Obama said when asked about gay marriage.

    "I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian ... it is also a sacred union. God's in the mix."

    Oh Candidate Obama, you were so much more reasonable than the current version of you. But your a politician who saw which way the wind the liberal wind was blowing so did the politically expedient thing and jumped aboard. Like they care if you ACTUALLY believe it.

  9. #439
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

    Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
    I guess once you lose the point, all you can do is repeat.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #440
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I guess once you lose the point, all you can do is repeat.
    you know i am going to keep posting constutional law, until you get it, and get it out of you head, that you think you can take away the right to property of indivuals.

Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •