Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 539

Thread: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

  1. #421
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    riiiiiight did you think anyboyd honest would fall for that?
    translation: you dodged it
    Translation you're trying to change the subject like every progressive does when they're put in a corner...

  2. #422
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yes there is we call it the Bill of Rights and the constitution.
    That only hold water in a Republic wherein the government is constructed on a series of laws, regulations, and restrictions. The Bill of Rights means nothing when a 50% + epsilon vote overrides it.

    Maybe you don't actually understand what direct democracy entails.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    In what universe is a democratic republic not "mob rule?"

    Like the House or Senate can pass legislation without "mob rule" within their own ranks?
    Different mob. The reason why it's not "mob rule" is because in the Republic, house and senate (along with all other branches of government) is restricted and even if they wanted to, they cannot enact law on simple majority alone. It must also abide the rights and liberties of the individual.

    Never heard a libertarian rally so hard against the rights and liberties of the individual...odd.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yes of course contract is a right - so why don't gays start righting their own civil contracts instead of bitching???
    Because contract is a right and there's already a contract for this exact thing. You have no proper reason to restrict them, to infringe upon their rights. You have not properly argued for government force against the free exercise of right, and without that then there is no reason for them to start their own "civil contracts" when there is perfectly good and valid contract that you have no argument to bar them from.

    I'm getting a sense that perhaps you don't understand what a right is either.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #423
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Translation you're trying to change the subject like every progressive does when they're put in a corner...
    HUH???? we are still on subject, could you be any more dishonest. I asked you a question, you dodged it and now i am talking about you dodging that question. No subject has been changed.

    you are STILL dodging it, nobody buys it, now if you will man up and answer it.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #424
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Do you not understand that "Jim Crow Laws" preexist the Equal protection clause??? do you know what that means???

    Also, the NE is extremely progressive and their population(s) amount to nothing. The NE is a horrible example - especially when attempting to use it as a template for the United States.
    1) Whether or not Jim Crow laws predates the 14th amendment is irrelevant to the fact that both anti miscegenation laws and school segregation were ended by Supreme Court decisions.

    2) Maryland and Washington are in the North East? Okay. Doesn't change the fact that you just said that gay marriage would never pass, which is a demonstrably false statement.

  5. #425
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,488

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Furthermore all democracy is nothing more than "mob rule" - that's why we have a Bill of Rights and constitution. Presently marriage is not a ****ing right - therefore marriage can be defined by the state via the Tenth Amendment.
    Apparently you missed the memo. The Supreme Court identified marriage as a civil right in Loving v. Virginia. So, whether you like it or not, marriage is a civil right.

  6. #426
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    1) Whether or not Jim Crow laws predates the 14th amendment is irrelevant to the fact that both anti miscegenation laws and school segregation were ended by Supreme Court decisions.

    2) Maryland and Washington are in the North East? Okay. Doesn't change the fact that you just said that gay marriage would never pass, which is a demonstrably false statement.
    It does matter that Jim Crow Laws were in place before the Equal Protection Clause was added as an addendum to the Fourteenth Amendment...

    Furthermore I have no desire to even argue these FACTS with people who either a) argue with their emotions or are ignorant to civics....

    I'm going to go now. I will be back later; While I'm gone - show me a) where marriage is a law, b) how does not allowing gays to marry violate the constitution or Bill of Rights or c) has any precedence in US law ....

    I don't want to hear ****ing opinions or ignorance of the constitution....

  7. #427
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Furthermore I have no desire to even argue these FACTS with people who either a) argue with their emotions or are ignorant to civics....
    that was delightfully ironic

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I'm going to go now. I will be back later; While I'm gone - show me a) where marriage is a law,
    Marriage is not a "law", it is contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    b) how does not allowing gays to marry violate the constitution or Bill of Rights
    Marriage is a contract and the individual has right to contract.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    or c) has any precedence in US law ....

    I don't want to hear ****ing opinions or ignorance of the constitution....
    Loving vs. Virginia
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #428
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    It does matter that Jim Crow Laws were in place before the Equal Protection Clause was added as an addendum to the Fourteenth Amendment...

    Furthermore I have no desire to even argue these FACTS with people who either a) argue with their emotions or are ignorant to civics....

    I'm going to go now. I will be back later; While I'm gone - show me a) where marriage is a law, b) how does not allowing gays to marry violate the constitution or Bill of Rights or c) has any precedence in US law ....

    I don't want to hear ****ing opinions or ignorance of the constitution....
    how many people find this post hugely ironic and greatly entertaining.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #429
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Man you're a hoot.....

    You want the truth? you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

    Your argument makes absolutely no ****ing sense. On one hand you claim opinion don't matter then you ****ing claim it does (only when it's your opinion)...
    It helps if you pay attention and if you understand Constitutional Law. It doesn't matter if an initiative passes 4,000,000 to 1, if the initiative is unconstitutional. The popular vote is moot.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #430
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I'd rather have direct democracy than a democratic republic......

    Furthermore all democracy is nothing more than "mob rule" - that's why we have a Bill of Rights and constitution. Presently marriage is not a ****ing right - therefore marriage can be defined by the state via the Tenth Amendment.
    No matter if marriage is a right or not, equal protection of the laws is a right. And when people are treated differently by the laws, the state must show a legitimate state interest is furthered by that difference in treatment. Since marriage laws are gender neutral in their operation, make no restriction on those who cannot procreate but are of the "legal" gender combination, and no one is harmed by same sex relationships, then restrictions on entering into marriage based on sex/gender cannot be shown to further any legitimate state interest.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •