Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 539

Thread: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

  1. #391
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,568

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Historical precedence holds that women had very little rights in marriage, particularly as compared to her husband. Relying on historical precedence as a foundation for how we should view marriage will not work today and is a failed argument.
    But I can click quite a few civilized societies where women had great or equal power in a marriage(ancient sparta comes to mind), where you can't name a single society where homosexuals could marry in a common fasion. not to say they were not accepted in some societies, they were and are. but on this specific issue there is no historical context to be found.

  2. #392
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    But I can click quite a few civilized societies where women had great or equal power in a marriage(ancient sparta comes to mind), where you can't name a single society where homosexuals could marry in a common fasion. not to say they were not accepted in some societies, they were and are. but on this specific issue there is no historical context to be found.
    No you can't. They did not have full equality at all. I dare you to show one society where women and men had all the same rights in marriage. Where marriages were basically genderless in how they operated. I bet you can't find more than one, if that. And it is highly unlikely that you find one that we have much in common with today. In fact, the most likely places to find women accepted as close to if not equal to men were indigenous tribes, such as those in Africa (in the past) or America (pre-European discovery). Also the same places where homosexuality was accepted as part of society and such couples allowed to marry.

    Even in Sparta. They were more equal to men compared to other places. They were not in fact equal to men. Many marriages were still arranged by fathers for the bride or women captured during battle who became wives. Pretty sure wives had little say in whether or not they were shared with younger men in order to have a stronger child.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #393
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California - latimes.com


    "Same-sex marriages in California resumed Friday when a federal appeals court lifted a hold on a 2010 injunction, sparking jubilation among gays and cries of lawlessness from the supporters of Proposition 8.


    In a surprise action, a federal appeals court cleared the way, bypassing a normal waiting period and lifting a hold on a trial judge’s order that declared Proposition 8 unconstitutional."



    Prop H8 is dead!!!! Let Freedom ring!
    Prop 8 was democratically passed.

    This is just another example of how anti-democratic progressives actually are.

  4. #394
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Prop 8 was democratically passed.

    This is just another example of how anti-democratic progressives actually are.
    So were many interracial marriage bans and segregation of schools laws.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #395
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    So were many interracial marriage bans and segregation of schools laws.
    And you know what?

    Those laws were changed because the constitution was amended or addendums were added to preexisting amendments.

    You see how that works?

    Furthermore if Prop 8 was so damn illegal then how the hell did it even make it on the ballot? got an answer for that?

    Oh yeah that's right - states allegedly are protected by the Tenth Amendment...

  6. #396
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Prop 8 was democratically passed.

    This is just another example of how anti-democratic progressives actually are.
    And?

    California has a history of voters passing poorly written unconstitutional initiatives. What is your point?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #397
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    And?

    California has a history of voters passing poorly written unconstitutional initiatives. What is your point?
    I don't give a **** how poor of a law you think prop 8 is - the fact is that the law was democratically passed...

    Your opinion is moot....

    Why not amend the constitution?? oh yeah because gay marriage would NEVER pass -- even at the federal level.

  8. #398
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,784

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I don't give a **** how poor of a law you think prop 8 is - the fact is that the law was democratically passed...

    Your opinion is moot....

    Why not amend the constitution?? oh yeah because gay marriage would NEVER pass -- even at the federal level.
    so are you saying you think all laws that are voted on should be passed and upheld even if they violate the constitution or rights? that hilarious, you are in the wrong country.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #399
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    so are you saying you think all laws that are voted on should be passed and upheld even if they violate the constitution or rights? that hilarious, you are in the wrong country.
    Sorry but prop 8 was exactly that - a proposition passed via direct democracy....

    If prop 8 violated the constitution then why the **** was it on the ballot?

    Prop 8 DOES NOT violate the constitution because marriage is NOT a right or civil liberty - it never was in the United States and it never will be.

  10. #400
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    And you know what?

    Those laws were changed because the constitution was amended or addendums were added to preexisting amendments.

    You see how that works?

    Furthermore if Prop 8 was so damn illegal then how the hell did it even make it on the ballot? got an answer for that?

    Oh yeah that's right - states allegedly are protected by the Tenth Amendment...
    No they weren't. They were both struck down after decades of fighting them under the 14th Amendment, put in place right after the Civil War. Those laws weren't struck down until the 1960s.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •