Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 539

Thread: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

  1. #291
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,529

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Your child's belief in the tooth fairy is rational. You told your child the tooth fairy exists. Your child believed you wouldn't lie to them. Your child's belief is rational. Of course, one day, your child will realize that you lied about the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and, therefore, possibly everything.... and then your child's distrust in what you say will be equally rational.
    So the moral of the story is the church is probably lying to you? Lol, hey you're FINALLY starting to make some sense, well done.

  2. #292
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Bigotry couched in religion is still bigotry. A lot of the racial bigots discriminated because their religion told them so. This is no different. Bigotry is bigotry....period.
    Fully agree.
    May I point out that a lot of is not the same as all of .

    What Gimmesometruth wrote was a very broad generalization.And whether or not Gimmesometruth intended it or not,broad generalizations are themselves bigoted.

  3. #293
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    So the moral of the story is the church is probably lying to you? Lol, hey you're FINALLY starting to make some sense, well done.
    No, the fact that you DID lie to your children is not proof that the church is lying to it's followers. I find much of the church teaching to be suspect, but logically speaking, your statement.... well, just isn't. Logical, that is. It seems to be a trend with you. I'd suggest taking some classes in logic. They would help you make arguments that aren't silly at face value. And this coming from someone who holds a lot of religious doctrine in high suspicion.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  4. #294
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,529

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    No, the fact that you DID lie to your children is not proof that the church is lying to it's followers. I find much of the church teaching to be suspect, but logically speaking, your statement.... well, just isn't. Logical, that is. It seems to be a trend with you. I'd suggest taking some classes in logic. They would help you make arguments that aren't silly at face value. And this coming from someone who holds a lot of religious doctrine in high suspicion.
    Again you bring up an anecdotal story about telling a tooth fairy tale to my child and emphasize my "lying" as a wedge to attack me, stay classy.

    Apparently you didn't catch the joke and thought it was my best argument as you tried to counter it, lol, so let me set you straight.

    Look up the definition of rationality, let me do it for you.

    Rationality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    In its primary sense, rationality is a normative concept that philosophers have generally tried to characterize in such a way that, for any action, belief, or desire, if it is rational we ought to choose it.[1] It is a normative concept of reasoning in the sense that rational people should derive conclusions in a consistent way given the ,information at disposal. According to the philosophical theory of justification, it refers to the conformity of one's beliefs with one's reasons to believe, or of one's actions with one's reasons for action. However, the term "rationality" tends to be used differently in different disciplines, including specialized discussions of economics, sociology, psychology, evolutionary biology and political science. A rational decision is one that is not just reasoned, but is also optimal for achieving a goal or solving a problem. The philosophy of critical rationalism takes this principle to the extreme and argues that decisions made without any reasons at all or even based on supposed irrationality, are yet rational; instead, irrationality in this context means not to change the decision once it turns out to be non-optimal to achieve a goal, or to solve a problem.
    The relevant theme here is that for religion to be rational you need to have good reasons to believe it is the truth. So the logical answer to this would be a plethora of evidence supporting the church's positions, which there is none. This is in stark contrast to the original statement of "you can't prove god doesn't exist" as an argument for "rationality". You see these are very different ideas.

    You can't have it both ways saying that an unfalsifiable belief is rational.

  5. #295
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cable View Post
    Correct, but the belief can be quite rational.
    You can rationalize your belief, but you cannot make your religion, a belief in a supernatural entity, rational. It is still a belief system.

    That is why you should not base law upon beliefs, as anything can be rationalized.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #296
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Verthaine View Post
    That's not what you did.
    Of course I did, I said the opposition to SSM is based on bigotry of homosexuals.

    You wrote:
    I know what I wrote

    SSM is not homosexuality
    I did not say it was, you are not reading what I wrote.


    ,it is what homosexuals what (sic) to do
    Um, it is one of the things some of them do....but go on..
    (and those of us who are straight who support them on that).
    Which would not be the bigots who I was referring to.

    There are those here who oppose SSM on religious reasons.
    Yes, and the discrimination is justified on irrational beliefs.....and that is bigotry.

    You made a very broad generalization.That's not cool.
    What isn't cool is thinking that a religious viewpoint rationalizes discrimination, that same rationalization was at the heart of the banning of interracial marriage.
    Unless,of course,you can provide evidence that in fact every person on this planet that opposes SSM are in fact doing it primarily due to bigotry.
    I said I am pretty sure, it is an opinion, I have seen nothing from you to dissuade me to think otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #297
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    Omg, I just blew snot bubbles out of my nose. Wow that's quite the credible source you have there. A page with "Temcat's Mews"... lol. Please don't link to a religious site with an anonymous pdf including the words Nazi and Progressive as evidence. I can read it real quick but... I... suspect this will be a waste of time.
    I see. All you have is logical fallacy ad hominem; discredit the source. Within that article is a firsthand recount of events leading up to Hitler's rise to power. You should read it and learn something instead of sticking your head in the sand because the truth doesn't suit you.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #298
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,529

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see. All you have is logical fallacy ad hominem; discredit the source. Within that article is a firsthand recount of events leading up to Hitler's rise to power. You should read it and learn something instead of sticking your head in the sand because the truth doesn't suit you.
    Oh please, save your sob story. Its an anecdotal account from a single perspective. Its okay to read and consider but it means piddly squat as hard evidence. What is the reputation of the author? Are they a respected historian? For all we know they could be an idiot. The whole thing is wrapped in a website that is presented in a silly, whimsical manner that also involves bible verses. I'm supposed to bow down to this and consider it a gold standard source? Give me a break, its ridiculous.

  9. #299
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    Oh please, save your sob story. Its an anecdotal account from a single perspective. Its okay to read and consider but it means piddly squat as hard evidence. What is the reputation of the author? Are they a respected historian? For all we know they could be an idiot. The whole thing is wrapped in a website that is presented in a silly, whimsical manner that also involves bible verses. I'm supposed to bow down to this and consider it a gold standard source? Give me a break, its ridiculous.
    Oh, for God's sake, get real. You asked for some evidence, not rock solid incontrovertible proof so strong that even you couldn't possibly ignore it no matter how far you crawled up into your shell or how many deadbolts you put on the door. I realize that nothing can prove to you something you don't want to accept as reality. I just gave you something that you should have found interesting and informative if you actually gave a rats ass about what really happened.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  10. #300
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,529

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Oh, for God's sake, get real. You asked for some evidence, not rock solid incontrovertible proof so strong that even you couldn't possibly ignore it no matter how far you crawled up into your shell or how many deadbolts you put on the door. I realize that nothing can prove to you something you don't want to accept as reality. I just gave you something that you should have found interesting and informative if you actually gave a rats ass about what really happened.
    You're the one that claimed Hitler used progressive ideology to launch his rise to power and genocide. If you're going to make such a bold claim the onus is on you.

Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •