Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 539

Thread: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

  1. #141
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    He addressed every sin though, in his statement about the laws of the prophets coming down to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Homosexuality nor same sex relationships break this rule so they aren't a sin.
    They are absolutely living in sin, I don't see how people can say that they aren't Biblically and then falsely rationalize that it isn't a sin because Jesus didn't say it directly.

    (NASB version of the Bible)

    1 Corinthaisn 6:9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.
    Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. 21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures.

    24 Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. 25 For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

    26 For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, 27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.

    28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; 32 and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.
    Both come from the New Testament. The old Testament also teaches that homosexual sex is a sin. The Bible goes so far as to say that homosexuality is of a depraved mind, a form of sexual immorality, and those that practice it and do not repent will spend their eternity in hell. It is absolutely not permissible.

    Far too many "Christians" are willfully deceived in their theology because they want to "give hearty approval to those who practice them" out of our sinful natures. Homosexual sex is a sin, it's a serious sin, and homosexuals that do not repent will go to hell for eternity. That is Biblical fact. I think, as Christians, if we love everyone and homosexuals we should accept the truth and warn them of their fate. It is not loving to idly sit by and not warn someone of their eternal hell or to deceive ourselves in thinking that it won't happen when clearly that is what the Bible says.
    Last edited by digsbe; 06-29-13 at 05:12 PM.

  2. #142
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    They are absolutely living in sin, I don't see how people can say that they aren't Biblically and then falsely rationalize that it isn't a sin because Jesus didn't say it directly.

    (NASB version of the Bible)





    Both come from the New Testament. The old Testament also teaches that homosexual sex is a sin. The Bible goes so far as to say that homosexuality is of a depraved mind, a form of sexual immorality, and those that practice it and do not repent will spend their eternity in hell. It is absolutely not permissible.

    Far too many "Christians" are willfully deceived in their theology because they want to "give hearty approval to those who practice them" out of our sinful natures. Homosexual sex is a sin, it's a serious sin, and homosexuals that do not repent will go to hell for eternity. That is Biblical fact. I think, as Christians, if we love everyone and homosexuals we should accept the truth and warn them of their fate. It is not loving to idly sit by and not warn someone of their eternal hell or to deceive ourselves in thinking that it won't happen when clearly that is what the Bible says.
    All of this is your personal interpretation of what the Bible says. Of course you believe you have it right. Just as those who believed/believe interracial relationships are a sin according to the Bible or even just natural law believe they are right. The point is that since you can't actually prove your religious beliefs are correct on either issue, then it is wrong to bring them up as reasoning for putting laws into place.

    If it is okay for you or others to use it as a valid point for state/federal laws against same sex marriage, legally, then it should have been okay for those who believed interracial marriages were wrong/a sin to use as a valid point for state/federal laws against interracial marriage, legally. It cannot be good for one group, but not good for another, no matter how much either group believes they are correct in those beliefs. You need something besides religious beliefs to justify maintaining such restrictions in laws.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #143
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    All of this is your personal interpretation of what the Bible says. Of course you believe you have it right. Just as those who believed/believe interracial relationships are a sin according to the Bible or even just natural law believe they are right. The point is that since you can't actually prove your religious beliefs are correct on either issue, then it is wrong to bring them up as reasoning for putting laws into place.

    If it is okay for you or others to use it as a valid point for state/federal laws against same sex marriage, legally, then it should have been okay for those who believed interracial marriages were wrong/a sin to use as a valid point for state/federal laws against interracial marriage, legally. It cannot be good for one group, but not good for another, no matter how much either group believes they are correct in those beliefs. You need something besides religious beliefs to justify maintaining such restrictions in laws.
    It's the right interpretation and is absolute. God does not judge based on "personal" interpretation, it's a black and white and very clear right and wrong. By God's standards all humans will be judged, not by human standards. God's standards are given in the Bible, and the Bible very clearly says that homosexuality falls short of that as a sin.

    I support SSM, I think people should be allowed to make the choice to go to hell forever and live out their sin. I strongly disagree with it morally, but I respect freedom and even in the passages of scripture I quoted God supports that freedom as well, but there will be consequences and I don't think it's God's will to force anyone into living for Him and repenting of sin. The very notion of repentance cannot be forced anyway.

    And even so, if religious beliefs are all someone has they are valid in opposing something. People who support or do not support things based on their religion have just as valid of a vote and point as those who are purely secular in their thinking and reasoning.

  4. #144
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Yes, it was "individual members". However, anyone who knows anything about the Mormon Church knows the nod and a wink underground things that the Mormon church does to skirt? the IRS non-profit issues. The "individual members" were told in no uncertain terms that they were to do the job of the church and donate to the Prop H8 campaign. The Mormon Church DID run ads...propogandandized and told lies. Don't kid yourself. The Mormon church showed just how evil they can be in the prop H8 campaign.
    i'm in awe of this knowledge you have... how did you come about knowing the evil inner workings of the church?... have you been to services?
    well, as a Mormon myself I know quite a bit about the Mormon church and I'm unaware of these "wink and a nod" marching orders...I don't go to regular services any longer, but i'll ask my neighbor about these nefarious activities you claim to have knowledge of... he's a bishop.

    no, the Mormon church did not run any ads.. not a single one.
    the opposition did run an ad attacking the church , though... a very deceitful ad that you have chosen not to decry.( imagine that)


    when decrying lies, propaganda, and deceit, it's wise not to propagandize using lies and deceit yourself.....don't defend or support lies and deceit , even when they benefit you or your agenda.

  5. #145
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It's the right interpretation and is absolute. God does not judge based on "personal" interpretation, it's a black and white and very clear right and wrong. By God's standards all humans will be judged, not by human standards. God's standards are given in the Bible, and the Bible very clearly says that homosexuality falls short of that as a sin.

    I support SSM, I think people should be allowed to make the choice to go to hell forever and live out their sin. I strongly disagree with it morally, but I respect freedom and even in the passages of scripture I quoted God supports that freedom as well, but there will be consequences and I don't think it's God's will to force anyone into living for Him and repenting of sin. The very notion of repentance cannot be forced anyway.

    And even so, if religious beliefs are all someone has they are valid in opposing something. People who support or do not support things based on their religion have just as valid of a vote and point as those who are purely secular in their thinking and reasoning.
    It is your interpretation. And I'm not actually telling you you are wrong. I am saying that it is not right to use anyone's interpretation of the Bible or any other religious book to justify laws or to tell others they are wrong. You honestly don't really know what God judges people on. You simply believe as such and everyone is entitled to their beliefs, whatever they may be, including believing that interracial or interfaith marriages are wrong. They aren't entitled to using those beliefs as justification for maintaining a law in our country, even if just a state law. But this goes for interpretations of the Bible that say that same sex relationships are wrong or marriage is only between a man and a woman.

    Those beliefs are valid for opposing something. They are not valid for maintaining those laws or allowing those laws to remain.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #146
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Blue laws are being overturned by states on their own and are not a good example because they aren't concerned with fundamental rights of individuals, but rather rights of businesses to sell a certain product on a certain day of the week. It is regulatory law. They will likely be overturned or all be gone in the not so distant future. At least those that regulate sells of products only on a certain day of the week.
    They are proof morality and religious concepts can be incorporated into law where they are community standards.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  7. #147
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    They are proof morality and religious concepts can be incorporated into law where they are community standards.
    No they aren't. They are proof that people have and even still do use those concepts to get laws put into place. It is not any sort of proof though that those laws are valid laws if challenged. Those laws simply lack a person to have challenged them that has legitimate standing and wishes to do so. In order for any law to be declared unconstitutional, it must be challenged first. And in order to challenge, a person/group must be able to show standing.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #148
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's the will of the people in which the referendum will serve as law.
    Constitution > your will.

    Sorry. You can't vote to take away someone else's rights.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #149
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    They are absolutely living in sin, I don't see how people can say that they aren't Biblically and then falsely rationalize that it isn't a sin because Jesus didn't say it directly.

    (NASB version of the Bible)





    Both come from the New Testament. The old Testament also teaches that homosexual sex is a sin. The Bible goes so far as to say that homosexuality is of a depraved mind, a form of sexual immorality, and those that practice it and do not repent will spend their eternity in hell. It is absolutely not permissible.

    Far too many "Christians" are willfully deceived in their theology because they want to "give hearty approval to those who practice them" out of our sinful natures. Homosexual sex is a sin, it's a serious sin, and homosexuals that do not repent will go to hell for eternity. That is Biblical fact. I think, as Christians, if we love everyone and homosexuals we should accept the truth and warn them of their fate. It is not loving to idly sit by and not warn someone of their eternal hell or to deceive ourselves in thinking that it won't happen when clearly that is what the Bible says.
    Aren't their disagreements on the translations? After all, Jesus didn't speak English. So it becomes tricky to declare things as "absolute."
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #150
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,522

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    You cannot make hard arguments using the bible because it is unfalsifiable. It is no different than two children arguing over which superhero of theirs would win in a fight.

Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •