Page 13 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 539

Thread: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

  1. #121
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    He addressed every sin though, in his statement about the laws of the prophets coming down to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Homosexuality nor same sex relationships break this rule so they aren't a sin.
    That is not what Jesus said at all. He did not say that anything that doesn't conform to that is not sin. Glad you like to makeup stuff though.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  2. #122
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    That is not what Jesus said at all. He did not say that anything that doesn't conform to that is not sin. Glad you like to makeup stuff though.
    He did. Interpretation is everything. And that is the point. You cannot tell others that legally they cannot believe the Bible said certain things about whatever. You are free to believe they are wrong, just as many believe you are wrong. But none of those beliefs can be part of or considered in our laws.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #123
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,380

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Right, because homophobic conservatives didn't get their way, therefore the people must have not had a voice. How about the voice of the same sex couples in California and around the nation?
    It was the pro-gay marriage folks that wanted prop 8 on the ballot to begin with, because the good and righteous people of California will pass it. When they voted it down, they all became homophobes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #124
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Then your problem is with those additional laws and policies, so you cannot legitimately claim it is same sex couples getting married that affects you, but those additional laws and policies, which you are completely free to complain about. You cannot use them against ssm though because that is not how the laws on equality and rights work.
    well that's what i said before already, two gay people being married does not affect me, ...its government action that effects me......and that's what i dont like.

    if a government just made gay marriage legal, and then created no more laws or polices in its institutions, ...most people would not care about gay marriage ,however government does not.... they create more, becuase it is the nature of government to continue to create laws and grow.

  5. #125
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    He did. Interpretation is everything. And that is the point. You cannot tell others that legally they cannot believe the Bible said certain things about whatever. You are free to believe they are wrong, just as many believe you are wrong. But none of those beliefs can be part of or considered in our laws.
    They most certainly can be considered. Laws are based on community standards and those standards can be derived from religious morality as much as anything else. If you believe that cockfighting is immoral, you can pass a law prohibiting it. Should a passage in some holy scripture saying "thou shalt not cockfight" prohibit you from passing the law that meets community standards of morality, i.e. "no cockfighting"?
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #126
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It was the pro-gay marriage folks that wanted prop 8 on the ballot to begin with, because the good and righteous people of California will pass it. When they voted it down, they all became homophobes.
    That is absolutely not true. Same sex marriage was legal in California, and Prop 8 was pushed for by the anti-ssm folks to remove that legalization. Prop 8 was not supported nor pushed for by pro-ssm side.
    Last edited by roguenuke; 06-29-13 at 03:11 PM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #127
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,380

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    That is absolutely not true. Same sex marriage was legal in California, and Prop 8 was pushed for by the anti-ssm folks to make remove that legalization. Prop 8 was not supported nor pushed for by pro-ssm side.
    I stand corrected, then. I thought it was the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #128
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    They most certainly can be considered. Laws are based on community standards and those standards can be derived from religious morality as much as anything else. If you believe that cockfighting is immoral, you can pass a law prohibiting it. Should a passage in some holy scripture saying "thou shalt not cockfight" prohibit you from passing the law that meets community standards of morality, i.e. "no cockfighting"?
    Laws are based on many things, but they must based on something more than religious beliefs or any other personal beliefs. Harm of some sort must be present or a state interest being furthered by a law or restriction on a law for it to be constitutional when it comes to laws that restrict rights/freedoms of others.

    The law against cockfighting does not deal with personal beliefs, but rather harm/cruelty to animals that can be shown to be in a state's legitimate interest. It is not about prohibitions from a religious or personal standpoint, but about maintaining a state interest in preventing animals, which are a vital part of our personal interests as a food source and life cycle, from being treated cruelly.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    They most certainly can be considered. Laws are based on community standards and those standards can be derived from religious morality as much as anything else. If you believe that cockfighting is immoral, you can pass a law prohibiting it. Should a passage in some holy scripture saying "thou shalt not cockfight" prohibit you from passing the law that meets community standards of morality, i.e. "no cockfighting"?
    You can try to pass anything, but if it does not pass constitutional review, it is dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,556

    re: To cheers, same-sex marriages resume in California [W:381]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    What is pitiful is watching the few remaining bigots desperately grasping at the final vestiges of government sponsored discrimination. Save your dignity....the war is over.
    You don't have a clue, do you? You got your way, and people that don't agree with you are bigots.

Page 13 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •