Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 171

Thread: Texas carries out its 500th execution since 1982

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Texas carries out its 500th execution since 1982

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Goodnight, Henrin...we're done.
    Come on, I just offered you assistance. You should at least say thank you.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Texas carries out its 500th execution since 1982

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    There's been like 800 plus more who have been executed in Texas going back to the early 1800's. So Texas loves killing people...so much that the state government is hell bent on trying to stop abortions in Texas. You may have noticed that my last sentence made no sense at all. When it comes to death...Texas government has selective ethics.

    You can shoot, stab, electrocute...give lethal injections, hang people...but oh don't think about abortion.
    Why don't you leave if you don't like it here. I think we would get along just fin without you.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Texas carries out its 500th execution since 1982

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhat View Post
    That's not the point; the point is that capital punishment doesn't punish anyone.
    Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man. Gen. 9:6 KJV

  4. #34
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Texas carries out its 500th execution since 1982

    I wonder how many of them were actually innocent. 12 inmates who were convicted and sentenced to death in Texas were later found to be innocent and released. Can anyone really feel certain that none of those 500 were innocent, too?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  5. #35
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Texas carries out its 500th execution since 1982

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    I wonder how many of them were innocent ...
    To be honest, not many. But even one innocent executed is too many. If the death penalty were foolproof, I would be the first to pull the switch on the bastard. However, I am still haunted by the execution of a man who was convicted of setting fire to his house, killing his wife and children. After he was executed, he was proven innocent of the crime, and the expert witness the prosecution had used against him was no expert. In fact, he was incompetent.

    There is also another important aspect to the death penalty. In the words stated by one condemned man, in his final statement before his execution, "Capital punishment, if you ain't got the capital, you get the punishment".
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Texas carries out its 500th execution since 1982

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I care very much. I oppose the death penalty entirely. The difference between you and me is that I didn't have to ask a rhetorical question.
    I doubt that that is the only difference between us, let alone an important one.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Texas carries out its 500th execution since 1982

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    To be honest, not many. But even one innocent executed is too many. If the death penalty were foolproof, I would be the first to pull the switch on the bastard. However, I am still haunted by the execution of a man who was convicted of setting fire to his house, killing his wife and children. After he was executed, he was proven innocent of the crime, and the expert witness the prosecution had used against him was no expert. In fact, he was incompetent.

    There is also another important aspect to the death penalty. In the words stated by one condemned man, in his final statement before his execution, "Capital punishment, if you ain't got the capital, you get the punishment".
    even if it was fool proof I'm opposed ... doesn't make sense to show how much we abhor the taking of a human life by taking a human life we don't have to take ...

  8. #38
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,764

    Re: Texas carries out its 500th execution since 1982

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    even if it was fool proof I'm opposed ... doesn't make sense to show how much we abhor the taking of a human life by taking a human life we don't have to take ...
    I respectfully disagree with you, but might agree with you from an economic standpoint. It costs more to execute a person than it does to imprison him for life. Some might say that we should move the process along, so that it costs less, but that would be horrible in that more innocent people would end up being executed as a result. The condemned need to have every appeal and process available to them, in order to have a chance to reverse a decision that is permanent. Better yet, with no death penalty, we don't have to worry about executing the wrong person, so I am pretty much on your side in regard to this issue.
    Last edited by danarhea; 06-27-13 at 02:18 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Texas carries out its 500th execution since 1982

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    There's been like 800 plus more who have been executed in Texas going back to the early 1800's. So Texas loves killing people...so much that the state government is hell bent on trying to stop abortions in Texas. You may have noticed that my last sentence made no sense at all. When it comes to death...Texas government has selective ethics.

    You can shoot, stab, electrocute...give lethal injections, hang people...but oh don't think about abortion.
    That is better than in Illinois, California, or New York City where average citizens have to fear dying at the hands of gangs or other criminals.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas carries out its 500th execution since 1982

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhat View Post
    How can capital punishment be punishment if by virtue of the execution the person cannot absorb the punishment because they die? Doesn't make sense to punish someone by killing them; this may provide comfort to the families of those whose loved ones were harmed but that's vengeance- not punishment.
    Capitol punishment is about killing the person, not teaching them a lesson.

    Did you see Goshin's thread about the difference between boys fist-fighting and self-defense? Fist-fighting is social/political, while self deference is only about stopping the person. The same is true of punishment. Rehab and probation are about correcting the criminal, capitol punishment is not. Capitol punishment is about removing a monster from the Earth.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •