Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 72

Thread: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

  1. #1
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,812

    Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    I wonder how the states that have passed legislation banning gay marriage are going to react to the reality that a gay married couple with one or both partners in the military will be seen by the federal government as equal to hetero couples. So if a landlord refuses to rent to a gay military couple, could the local base commander tell his troops not to rent from said property owner? This will have a big influence in some places that have been reluctant to acknowledge the equality of gay and lesbian military personnel

    Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    WASHINGTON -- The Defense Department said it would immediately begin the process that will lead to providing benefits to the spouses of military servicemembers in same-sex marriages. The announcement follows the Supreme Court ruling striking down part of a law that denied federal benefits to married same-sex couples.

    "The Department of Defense intends to make the same benefits available to all military spouses -- regardless of sexual orientation -- as soon as possible," Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said in a prepared statement. "That is now the law, and it is the right thing to do," he said.
    Hagel's full statement
    Statement by Secretary Hagel on DOMA Ruling


    The Department of Defense welcomes the Supreme Court's decision today on the Defense of Marriage Act. The department will immediately begin the process of implementing the Supreme Court's decision in consultation with the Department of Justice and other executive branch agencies. The Department of Defense intends to make the same benefits available to all military spouses -- regardless of sexual orientation -- as soon as possible. That is now the law and it is the right thing to do.

    Every person who serves our nation in uniform stepped forward with courage and commitment. All that matters is their patriotism, their willingness to serve their country, and their qualifications to do so. Today's ruling helps ensure that all men and women who serve this country can be treated fairly and equally, with the full dignity and respect they so richly deserve.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    If someone doesn't want to rent to gay military personnel, they shouldn't have to rent to gay military personnel. Just because something is allowed, doesn't mean it has to be universally accepted.

    People have the right to be bigots.

  3. #3
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    I wonder how the states that have passed legislation banning gay marriage are going to react to the reality that a gay married couple with one or both partners in the military will be seen by the federal government as equal to hetero couples. So if a landlord refuses to rent to a gay military couple, could the local base commander tell his troops not to rent from said property owner? This will have a big influence in some places that have been reluctant to acknowledge the equality of gay and lesbian military personnel



    Hagel's full statement
    Waste of tax dollars.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  4. #4
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Waste of tax dollars.
    Because....

    Your raging homophobia is showing.

    Also, if it's a waste of money, why did IBM and AT&T get a huge competitive advantage when they offered same sex benefits? They had their pick of the best and the brightest from the gay community. And it showed in their performance.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #5
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Because....

    Your raging homophobia is showing.

    Also, if it's a waste of money, why did IBM and AT&T get a huge competitive advantage when they offered same sex benefits? They had their pick of the best and the brightest from the gay community. And it showed in their performance.
    Not relevant.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  6. #6
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    If someone doesn't want to rent to gay military personnel, they shouldn't have to rent to gay military personnel. Just because something is allowed, doesn't mean it has to be universally accepted.

    People have the right to be bigots.
    Actually, there's a good reason not to rent to military personnel in general. You never know if they're going to break their lease due to deployment, base closures, or relocation. As a landlord, it's a pain in the *** to have to keep finding new tenants every few months because your military renter just got moved for whatever reason.

    In my experience, it's bad to have long term tenants (3+ years), but at the same time having a tenant that doesn't even make it 4 months is a serious drag.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #7
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Not relevant.
    Translation: My homophobia doesn't give me anything to rebut this argument so I'm just going to say it's irrelevant even when it's not.

    Allowing same sex benefits in the military ensures that talented professionals stay in the military, the same way that AT&T and IBM boosted performance by hiring the best of the gay community.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Actually, there's a good reason not to rent to military personnel in general. You never know if they're going to break their lease due to deployment, base closures, or relocation. As a landlord, it's a pain in the *** to have to keep finding new tenants every few months because your military renter just got moved for whatever reason.

    In my experience, it's bad to have long term tenants (3+ years), but at the same time having a tenant that doesn't even make it 4 months is a serious drag.
    I'm about 40 minutes away from a sizable military base, but to my understanding, subletting is pretty common due to the fact that there's less space than soldiers.

  9. #9
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Because....

    Your raging homophobia is showing.
    And for the record, homophobia would be a severe miscategorization of my position.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  10. #10
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Translation: My homophobia doesn't give me anything to rebut this argument so I'm just going to say it's irrelevant even when it's not.

    Allowing same sex benefits in the military ensures that talented professionals stay in the military, the same way that AT&T and IBM boosted performance by hiring the best of the gay community.
    We have had talented professionals in the military for years, and guess what, they weren't even allowed to say they were gay. So your argument is invalid.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •