Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 72

Thread: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

  1. #11
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm about 40 minutes away from a sizable military base, but to my understanding, subletting is pretty common due to the fact that there's less space than soldiers.
    Oh God. Subletting.

    Jesus H. Christ.

    That is a crap shoot of the worst kind.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #12
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    I think the more interesting cases will be tax cases. What if Cindy and BubbaJean are married in California and they move to Georgia. Cindy works for the federal government and BubbaJean is a lumberjack. They can file jointly federally, but can they file jointly in Georgia? I live in a no SSM state and your state tax filing status has to be the same as your federal, and your federal is the starting point for your state on your state tax forms. What happens if on the federal there is a deduction related to marriage when the state doesn't recognize the marriage? It is sort of a tangent reversal on the pot shop issue where the feds will not let you deduct any expenses on your IRS taxes for your pot shop business so you get taxed on the gross as income.

  3. #13
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    We have had talented professionals in the military for years, and guess what, they weren't even allowed to say they were gay. So your argument is invalid.
    Hardly. With more and more companies offering same sex benefits, the competition for such talent is growing. Again, as I pointed out (and as you keep refusing to address) IBM and AT&T got significant performance boosts from hiring such people.

    If faced with a choice of no benefits for your partner or benefits for your partner with comparatively similar compensation, where do you think people are going to go?

    The fact that you keep pathetically grasping for straws and ignoring the historical benefits from providing same sex benefits is a big sign you don't have an argument.

    Again, your RAGING homophobia is showing.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #14
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Oh God. Subletting.

    Jesus H. Christ.

    That is a crap shoot of the worst kind.
    Happened alot when I was in. Landlords where actually generally fairly cool and would allow alot of that type thing, but they had the advantage that they knew they where going to get every penny owed them by contract, and had the phone numbers of all the commands in the area so they could ensure it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #15
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Hardly. With more and more companies offering same sex benefits, the competition for such talent is growing. Again, as I pointed out (and as you keep refusing to address) IBM and AT&T got significant performance boosts from hiring such people.

    If faced with a choice of no benefits for your partner or benefits for your partner with comparatively similar compensation, where do you think people are going to go?

    The fact that you keep pathetically grasping for straws and ignoring the historical benefits from providing same sex benefits is a big sign you don't have an argument.

    Again, your RAGING homophobia is showing.
    Once again, I do not have homophobia.

    Second, it is still a waste of tax dollars, and, one could argue, that it defies freedom of religion to force people to fund something they don't believe is moral according to their religion. It is offensive to certain religions to fund homosexuality, therefore the Government shouldn't be involved. Otherwise Religions shouldn't have restirctions on when they should speak.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  6. #16
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Happened alot when I was in. Landlords where actually generally fairly cool and would allow alot of that type thing, but they had the advantage that they knew they where going to get every penny owed them by contract, and had the phone numbers of all the commands in the area so they could ensure it.
    I guess, but I don't subscribe to that line of thought.

    I'd rather have a carefully vetted tenant who won't trash the place then risk a sublet to someone I don't know, haven't vetted and who I may have to go to court to get recovery.

    An ounce of prevention here is really ten millions pounds of cure.

    It's just so much easier and cheaper just to have a stable tenant then risk a sublet.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #17
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    I guess, but I don't subscribe to that line of thought.

    I'd rather have a carefully vetted tenant who won't trash the place then risk a sublet to someone I don't know, haven't vetted and who I may have to go to court to get recovery.

    An ounce of prevention here is really ten millions pounds of cure.

    It's just so much easier and cheaper just to have a stable tenant then risk a sublet.
    But if a military person trashed the place, they have to pay for repairs. If they do not, the landlord simply contacts the command and it is taken care of, right out of the military person's paycheck. Where else do you get that kind of guarantee?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    If someone doesn't want to rent to gay military personnel, they shouldn't have to rent to gay military personnel. Just because something is allowed, doesn't mean it has to be universally accepted.

    People have the right to be bigots.
    I would never rent to anyone who is homosexual regardless of what the military or government says.

  9. #19
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Once again, I do not have homophobia.
    Which itself proves you do.

    Second, it is still a waste of tax dollars, and, one could argue, that it defies freedom of religion to force people to fund something they don't believe is moral according to their religion.
    Did you even read the first amendment? There is nothing in the bill of rights that gives such a freedom of religion in such an aspect. Using your tax dollars to fund something you don't agree with but does not make you do is not an infringement of the 1st amendment. Seriously, you just made up your own version of what Freedom of Religion is.

    I could create a religion that says that everyone should pay taxes to benefit me, but I should pay nothing to benefit them. Thereby, ANY taxes not used on me is an infringement of my religious freedom. That's ****ing asinine, but that's where your argument goes.

    It is offensive to certain religions to fund homosexuality
    It's offensive to certain religions to allow women to work alone or get educated.
    It's offensive to certain religions to eat cows.
    It's offensive to certain religions to prevent them from killing whatever animals they need for their religious ceremonies.
    It's offensive to certain religions to prevent them from using controlled substances.

    [quote[therefore the Government shouldn't be involved. [/quote]

    So you're for the banning of farm subsidies?
    Ending all laws of controlled substances?
    Ending all nature conservation and letting people kill as much as they want whenever they want?
    Ending all support for education for women at every level of government?

    Your arguments are getting worse and worse.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #20
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Pentagon moves to extend benefits to gay spouses

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Which itself proves you do.



    Did you even read the first amendment? There is nothing in the bill of rights that gives such a freedom of religion in such an aspect. Using your tax dollars to fund something you don't agree with but does not make you do is not an infringement of the 1st amendment. Seriously, you just made up your own version of what Freedom of Religion is.

    I could create a religion that says that everyone should pay taxes to benefit me, but I should pay nothing to benefit them. Thereby, ANY taxes not used on me is an infringement of my religious freedom. That's ****ing asinine, but that's where your argument goes.



    It's offensive to certain religions to allow women to work alone or get educated.
    It's offensive to certain religions to eat cows.
    It's offensive to certain religions to prevent them from killing whatever animals they need for their religious ceremonies.
    It's offensive to certain religions to prevent them from using controlled substances.

    [quote[therefore the Government shouldn't be involved.
    So you're for the banning of farm subsidies?
    Ending all laws of controlled substances?
    Ending all nature conservation and letting people kill as much as they want whenever they want?
    Ending all support for education for women at every level of government?

    Your arguments are getting worse and worse.[/QUOTE]

    But that is exactly the arguments used by people who have issues with prayer in schools. Apparently there are double standards.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •