Page 99 of 112 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 990 of 1111

Thread: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

  1. #981
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Historically, marriage has been almost entirely about procreation and raising families. Love played almost no role at all in marriage through most of history. This is what has changed. We ted to view marriage as "a love commitment" today. That's not what it was created for. Sometimes the truth isn't pretty, glamorous or romantic.
    Historically marriage has been a political tool and arranged by parents for money and title.

  2. #982
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Historically, marriage has been almost entirely about procreation and raising families. Love played almost no role at all in marriage through most of history. This is what has changed. We ted to view marriage as "a love commitment" today. That's not what it was created for. Sometimes the truth isn't pretty, glamorous or romantic.
    Historically there was no interracial marriage in the US.....so what?

    That in no way is a defense of your previous point:

    I'm just not certain marriage should come up on the "re-engineering" table in order to meet the goals of providing a legal framework for relationships that are not biologically sensible.

    Again, sterile couples TODAY are married, what would be the "biological" rationale for allowing this?


    Beyond that, I already showed you that the state is not having to rework anything, ending a ban is not reworking. Allowing interracial marriage did not require a reworking of state organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #983
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,807

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Historically, marriage has been almost entirely about procreation and raising families. Love played almost no role at all in marriage through most of history. This is what has changed. We ted to view marriage as "a love commitment" today. That's not what it was created for. Sometimes the truth isn't pretty, glamorous or romantic.
    your opinion of marriage is meaningless.

    procreation and off spring is factually 100% meaningless to legal marriage this fact will not change. To bring it up is a meaningless strawman
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #984
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    And just to add, with these changes in history that you are arguing about, has this caused US society to thrive or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #985
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Historically, marriage has been almost entirely about procreation and raising families. Love played almost no role at all in marriage through most of history. This is what has changed. We ted to view marriage as "a love commitment" today. That's not what it was created for. Sometimes the truth isn't pretty, glamorous or romantic.
    Which has changed, and most view this change as a positive. The majority of people like the fact that marriage is about love and commitment first and other considerations second.

    So what it may have been created for is no longer relevant because it isn't what it is now about. (But we know that it wasn't what it was all about even in the past though, since many places had marriage about family ties much more than it was about procreation. The fact that China for a long time allowed marriages between dead people or a dead person and living person in order to cement ties proves this.)
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #986
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Which has changed, and most view this change as a positive. The majority of people like the fact that marriage is about love and commitment first and other considerations second.

    So what it may have been created for is no longer relevant because it isn't what it is now about. (But we know that it wasn't what it was all about even in the past though, since many places had marriage about family ties much more than it was about procreation. The fact that China for a long time allowed marriages between dead people or a dead person and living person in order to cement ties proves this.)
    That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. As it stands that is not the opinion in my state and quite a few other states. The laws of this state aren't governed by your opinion, China's opinion nor California's opinion. Not should they. When marriage changes into something else IN THIS STATE, then it will be legislated as something else IN THIS STATE. AGAIN, as it should be.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  7. #987
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    From Reuters.

    [quote]WASHINGTON (Reuters) - When the U.S. Supreme Court declined on Wednesday to rule on whether gay men and lesbians have a fundamental right to marry, it delivered an implicit message to those seeking such a right: Don't hurry back.

    All nine of the justices, with their votes and rhetoric in a pair of cases, signaled they either would never be willing, or are not ready yet, to cut off the unfolding state-by-state legislative debate on gay marriage. The five-justice alliance that came together in one case to extend federal benefits to same-sex couples splintered in the other case to avoid facing a larger test on the constitutional right.[/quote ]
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #988
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. As it stands that is not the opinion in my state and quite a few other states. The laws of this state aren't governed by your opinion, China's opinion nor California's opinion. Not should they. When marriage changes into something else IN THIS STATE, then it will be legislated as something else IN THIS STATE. AGAIN, as it should be.
    You can run but you can't hide.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #989
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You can run but you can't hide.
    I have no doubt the homosexuals will eventually win, for better or worse.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  10. #990
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    From Reuters.
    The SCOTUS never got to the point of of the constitutionality of banning SSM since the the defenders of prop 8 had no standing. BUT, Walker's finding of it being in violation of CA constitution stands.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •