Page 87 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 870 of 1111

Thread: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

  1. #861
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    A homosexual can marry a homosexual in all 50 states. They just can't marry someone of the same sex in most of them. But neither can anyone else, whether homosexual or not. This is equal rights. Homosexuals are treated no differently than anyone else. That's actually the problem for the homosexuals. They're treated just like everyone else. What they're petitioning for is a special extension of marriage laws JUST FOR THEM.
    Wrong again, the courts in those states where SSM is recognized have found that the state CANNOT DENY their right to marry (to enter in a legal contract of marriage recognized by the state). No "special extension" is required, you have backwards once again.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #862
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,839

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    A homosexual can marry a homosexual in all 50 states. They just can't marry someone of the same sex in most of them. But neither can anyone else, whether homosexual or not. This is equal rights. Homosexuals are treated no differently than anyone else. That's actually the problem for the homosexuals. They're treated just like everyone else. What they're petitioning for is a special extension of marriage laws JUST FOR THEM.
    I would call this the weakest and most infantile argument against SSM
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  3. #863
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Wrong again, the courts in those states where SSM is recognized have found that the state CANNOT DENY their right to marry (to enter in a legal contract of marriage recognized by the state). No "special extension" is required, you have backwards once again.
    The extension is to extend the definition of marriage.... well, in thinking it through, you may be right, because it's not even an extension of marriage but an extension in terms of actually redefining the whole concept of marriage... JUST FOR THEM.

    Most states still consider homosexual marriage to be an oxymoron. And I think that view is actually the sane view.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  4. #864
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    I would call this the weakest and most infantile argument against SSM
    It's not the argument against homosexual marriage. It is just a fact.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #865
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post

    The marriage laws of all states have no restriction based on your sex or gender
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    A homosexual can marry a homosexual in all 50 states. They just can't marry someone of the same sex in most of them. But neither can anyone else, whether homosexual or not.
    Any one else spot the contradiction?

  6. #866
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You keep asserting a false dilemma. The option of gay marriage / civil union isn't mutually exclusive and by selecting one, they are not signifying that they reject the other.

    If it came to a vote, MOST people support some sort of civil union. And if "civil union" was the issue, it would win. If it was JUST gay marriage as the only sort of civil union up for vote, it would not. Fewer people approve of subset "gay marriage" than the superset of "legally recognized homosexual union".

    If you still don't get it, then nevermind. I gave it my best shot and your willful ignorance isn't my problem to fix.
    marriage is a civil union.

  7. #867
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    The extension is to extend the definition of marriage.... well, in thinking it through, you may be right, because it's not even an extension of marriage but an extension in terms of actually redefining the whole concept of marriage... JUST FOR THEM.

    Most states still consider homosexual marriage to be an oxymoron. And I think that view is actually the sane view.
    You are just repeating the same error again, you cannot bring yourself to the viewpoint that we, and by extension the state, cannot deny marriage to partners of different races as we once did. We have recognized that we cannot discriminate against people based on their religion, their sex, their age, their race...or their sexual orientation (we are getting back to the suspect class argument that you walked away from).

    Again, it is not a granting of rights, it is recognizing that the inherent right cannot be denied.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #868
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by captainawesome View Post
    marriage is a civil union.
    I agree. So why do homosexuals want to fight over the name? Just accept civil unions if they carry all the rights, privileges and benefits of the ones called "marriage". So, as many have pointed out, fighting over the name is childish.... and yet homosexuals are doing that.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  9. #869
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You are just repeating the same error again, you cannot bring yourself to the viewpoint that we, and by extension the state, cannot deny marriage to partners of different races as we once did. We have recognized that we cannot discriminate against people based on their religion, their sex, their age, their race...or their sexual orientation (we are getting back to the suspect class argument that you walked away from).

    Again, it is not a granting of rights, it is recognizing that the inherent right cannot be denied.
    You're right. I can't bring myself to the viewpoint you have. Nor can the state I live in. That's why there are no same sex marriages here. And there won't be any tomorrow. And there won't be any next year. Your opinion is your opinion but that's not the opinion that counts when it comes the law.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  10. #870
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Wrong? LOL. You are reality-challenged today. This is NOT settled. That is why you can't marry someone of the same sex in Ohio nor even be treated as married by Ohio if you marry in some state that thought following in Canada's footsteps on this social engineering was a good idea. The fact that this isn't settled is unquestionable. The only thing questionable is how you can be so out of touch with reality as to claim that it is. I was getting to the point with you that I thought whatever you said would be somewhat reasonable but now.... everything you say has to be checked for reality again because this shows a huge break with it.
    It will be settled within, very likely, the next decade (possibly much sooner, since it seems that Kennedy is actually for overturning these laws). And my generation and younger support same sex marriage in large majorities. As the older generations die off and younger generations grow to be legal voters, we will have a cemented majority who support same sex marriage. We will see even more states legalize same sex marriage over the next couple of years on their own. More bans will go down. And more suits will go up to the Court, this time some that do not have issues with standing.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 87 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •