Page 86 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 1111

Thread: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

  1. #851
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    And equal protections are in place. A homosexual can get married in all 50 states and in no state is there a denial based on "homosexuality". You can't choose a same-sex partner, but neither can anyone else. You can't marry your brother. But neither can anyone else. The rights are equal.
    No it isn't. This argument failed when it was interracial marriage and it fails for same sex marriage.

    Plus, equal protection involves an element of state interest being furthered. A restriction can be in place that treats people differently based on certain factors, but only if it can be shown to further at least a legitimate state interest. Restrictions on marriage based on sex/gender further no legitimate state interest, restrictions on marriage based on blood relation further legitimate state interests.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #852
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The marriage laws of most states have restrictions based on sex/gender. I cannot marry a woman only because of my gender/sex, just as Mr. Loving could not legally be married to Mrs. Loving only because of her race.

    Oh, it won't take that long for equality to come on this issue. It will be here much sooner.

    And no, those are not reasonable. They are discriminatory and further no legitimate state interest.
    That's where the bear will hit the buckwheat. Right there. What will be debated in court is the state's interest. It does have an interest in endorsing only heterosexual marriages. It's not doing it arbitrarily. The only remaining question going forward is whether the argument of the state's interest is compelling or not and whether the supreme court will eventually reverse itself on it's recent decision and reasoning that the definition of marriage is the domain of the state and not to be overridden by the federal government without an important state interest in doing so.

    If it was as cut and dried as you would like to think it is, homosexual marriage would already be the law of the land. It will be an uphill battle instead of the done deal you pretend it is.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  3. #853
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    A homosexual can get married in all 50 states
    Absolutely flat out false. Only a handful of states recognize a legal contract of marriage between SS partners.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #854
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No it isn't. This argument failed when it was interracial marriage and it fails for same sex marriage.

    Plus, equal protection involves an element of state interest being furthered. A restriction can be in place that treats people differently based on certain factors, but only if it can be shown to further at least a legitimate state interest. Restrictions on marriage based on sex/gender further no legitimate state interest, restrictions on marriage based on blood relation further legitimate state interests.
    Well, good luck with that. You'd already have what you wanted it if was the slam-dunk you're pretending it is. This isn't settled at all.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #855
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Absolutely flat out false. Only a handful of states recognize a legal contract of marriage between SS partners.
    Homosexuals probably ARE married in all 50 states. Not one has a law excluding someone based on a question and answer of "are you homosexual" and "yes".
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #856
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Well, good luck with that. You'd already have what you wanted it if was the slam-dunk you're pretending it is. This isn't settled at all.
    Wrong. Unfortunately, with all laws and levels of government, there comes a certain amount of social acceptance or at least indifference that must exist to get equality. This is why it took nearly a century to free the slaves and another century to get rid of institutionalized/legal racial inequalities. And over two centuries to gain gender equality in just most areas (my particular job in the Navy was only available to women starting in 1994). But the more equality that is given/gained, the faster it is for the next group to gain equality.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #857
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    Only if you are a sodomite. For God-fearing people it is a sad day indeed, not unexpected, but sad.
    1: I don't fear God. I embrace Him. Anyone that fears God doesn't really believe in Him.

    2: God made homosexuals just like He made you and me. Because of that it would be silly to think that He considers their behavior as sinful. Only heterosexual males who wrote the bible and who want to control other peoples lives don't want it or like it. Not that I blame them for not liking it, after all during that war the other side loved to humilate those it conquered as a form of pshycological warfare. (wish i could remember which war that was :P )
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #858
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Homosexuals probably ARE married in all 50 states. Not one has a law excluding someone based on a question and answer of "are you homosexual" and "yes".
    You are making a non-sequitur argument, no one is arguing a homosexual cannot marry a hetero, the topic and context is SSM. Stop the infantile argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #859
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Wrong. Unfortunately, with all laws and levels of government, there comes a certain amount of social acceptance or at least indifference that must exist to get equality. This is why it took nearly a century to free the slaves and another century to get rid of institutionalized/legal racial inequalities. And over two centuries to gain gender equality in just most areas (my particular job in the Navy was only available to women starting in 1994). But the more equality that is given/gained, the faster it is for the next group to gain equality.
    Wrong? LOL. You are reality-challenged today. This is NOT settled. That is why you can't marry someone of the same sex in Ohio nor even be treated as married by Ohio if you marry in some state that thought following in Canada's footsteps on this social engineering was a good idea. The fact that this isn't settled is unquestionable. The only thing questionable is how you can be so out of touch with reality as to claim that it is. I was getting to the point with you that I thought whatever you said would be somewhat reasonable but now.... everything you say has to be checked for reality again because this shows a huge break with it.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  10. #860
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You are making a non-sequitur argument, no one is arguing a homosexual cannot marry a hetero, the topic and context is SSM. Stop the infantile argument.
    A homosexual can marry a homosexual in all 50 states. They just can't marry someone of the same sex in most of them. But neither can anyone else, whether homosexual or not. This is equal rights. Homosexuals are treated no differently than anyone else. That's actually the problem for the homosexuals. They're treated just like everyone else. What they're petitioning for is a special extension of marriage laws JUST FOR THEM.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 86 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •