Page 78 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 1111

Thread: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

  1. #771
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,137

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see you don't approve of affirmative action, either. I think the Supreme Court will be ruling on that soon, too.
    Depends on what kind of affirmative action you are talking about. Most people don't understand what it is and believe it is about quota. They only understand what they have been told.
    Last edited by disneydude; 06-28-13 at 10:27 AM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #772
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Depends on what kind of affirmative action you are talking about. Most people don't understand what it is and believe it is about quotas and hiring preferences. They only understand what they have been told.
    The kind that affords special rights.

  3. #773
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,137

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    The kind that affords special rights.
    Quotas would afford special rights. But affirmative action isn't about quotas
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #774
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Being against the redefinition of marriage shouldn't generally be considered "bigotted", either, but the accusations of bigotry are ubiqutous from the homosexual marriage advocates. And while you may argue that it's really all about civil rights, I think that argument fails miserably because homosexuals have all the rights anyone else has. It's the definition of marriage that doesn't suit their preferences that is the problem. The fact that I have this point of view would have homosexual advocates calling me a bigot and in reality, their hardline position is hateful and utterly intolerant of opposition and is, in fact, bigotted. If you must qualify that by making it against a group, then let's say they're bigotted against "evangelicals". I can't tell you how many times I've heard homosexuals spouting hate speech about them.
    Firstly, when debating the reason for the legality of SSM, I rarely if ever argue the "equality" position. It's a weak argument with lots of holes. Secondly, you are being stereotypical by lumping together all advocates of SSM and all homosexuals in one fell swoop. There are plenty of folks on this board who are against SSM whom I neither consider bigoted, dishonest, or ignorant on the issue. Further, you not being on the other side of the issue, have no experienced being called "defective" or "sick", or being told that one's relationship is any less real, valid or important because of your sexual orientation. Bigoted statements from YOUR side of the issue are quite significant as is the intolerance. I would hope that you would not deny that.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #775
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Firstly, when debating the reason for the legality of SSM, I rarely if ever argue the "equality" position. It's a weak argument with lots of holes. Secondly, you are being stereotypical by lumping together all advocates of SSM and all homosexuals in one fell swoop. There are plenty of folks on this board who are against SSM whom I neither consider bigoted, dishonest, or ignorant on the issue. Further, you not being on the other side of the issue, have no experienced being called "defective" or "sick", or being told that one's relationship is any less real, valid or important because of your sexual orientation. Bigoted statements from YOUR side of the issue are quite significant as is the intolerance. I would hope that you would not deny that.
    There have been voices of hate on the preservation of marriage side but that was no reason for activists to snarl and bite the hand offering civil unions with all the trappings and rights of marriage. At this point, your side is spouting more hate-speech than those opposing homosexual marriage. Just reading these forums, it is blatantly obvious.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #776
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    There have been voices of hate on the preservation of marriage side but that was no reason for activists to snarl and bite the hand offering civil unions with all the trappings and rights of marriage. At this point, your side is spouting more hate-speech than those opposing homosexual marriage. Just reading these forums, it is blatantly obvious.
    separate is not equal.

    marriage is a civil union.

  7. #777
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    There have been voices of hate on the preservation of marriage side but that was no reason for activists to snarl and bite the hand offering civil unions with all the trappings and rights of marriage. At this point, your side is spouting more hate-speech than those opposing homosexual marriage. Just reading these forums, it is blatantly obvious.
    That's from your perspective. From mine, your side is spouting far more hate-speech than mine and has been from the very begining... and just reading these forums it's blatantly obvious. And I've been here for 7 years. There have certainly been hateful folks on my side of the issue, but I would say the ratio is about 4:1 with the "4" being on your side.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #778
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Wait... so if someone is completely intolerant of someone who is against civil rights towards blacks or Jews, that person TOO is a bigot?
    Yes, they would be a bigot. Sometimes being a bigot isn't a bad thing. I'm bigoted towards child molesters and rapists.

  9. #779
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,782

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    There have been voices of hate on the preservation of marriage side but that was no reason for activists to snarl and bite the hand offering civil unions with all the trappings and rights of marriage. At this point, your side is spouting more hate-speech than those opposing homosexual marriage. Just reading these forums, it is blatantly obvious.
    Listen to yourself. "Bite the hand" that is "offering" civil unions?

    These are peoples' rights you are talking about, and you are presenting yourself as the master offering a treat to a pet. And what are you offering, exactly? Separate but "equal." (and it's not really equal, as has already been demonstrated to you) How can you sit there and think of yourself as offering a reasonable compromise? You're offering second-class status and are upset that people aren't grateful. Hah.

    And don't give me this "no YOU are the bigots" bull****. You only perceive it that way because you think your argument is morally correct, and therefore not hateful. You don't even see the hate in your own beliefs.

    You are demanding two consenting adults not be allowed to marry eachother because it personally bothers you. Imagine if your marriage were subject to my approval.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #780
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    And what are you offering, exactly?
    Nothing!

    His claim that the opponents of SSM supported civil unions is a lie. The same people who oppose SSM also opposed civil unions.

    The Moral Fascists on the right always try to demonstrate their supposed moral superiority by using lies in their arguments
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 78 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •