Page 75 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 1111

Thread: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

  1. #741
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Actually, it is the kids in the fundamentalist schools that get brainwashed. The get taught inaccurate information, and sometimes taught to hate those different from themselves. Sending a kid to one of those schools is nearly akin to child abuse.
    You educate YOUR kids (if you can have any), and I already educated mine, all college graduates, no student loans. 5 kids.

    Now I got 8 grandkids to watch over, though the responsibility and authority is their parents.

    Still, I can help where my help is welcomed.

    But YOU have no say in their education, thank God!
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  2. #742
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The fundamentalist schools certainly brainwash the kids. The turn them into automatons who reject scientific fact, and dismiss those who are unlike them. Parents who send them there create clones, not individuals.
    Are you referring to the THEORY of evolution, as scientific FACT?

    Or the hypothesis of anthropogenic global warming as scientific FACT!

    What FACTS do you think we reject? hmmmm?
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  3. #743
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    You educate YOUR kids (if you can have any), and I already educated mine, all college graduates, no student loans. 5 kids.
    Good for you.

    Now I got 8 grandkids to watch over, though the responsibility and authority is their parents.
    Also good for you.

    Still, I can help where my help is welcomed.

    But YOU have no say in their education, thank God!
    And you have no say in the education of my or anyone ELSE'S kids, thank God.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #744
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    Are you referring to the THEORY of evolution, as scientific FACT?

    Or the hypothesis of anthropogenic global warming as scientific FACT!

    What FACTS do you think we reject? hmmmm?
    Things like evolution, scientific fact of the normalcy of homosexuality, formation of the universe, rejection of birth control, things like that. I don't care one iota about global warming.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #745
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    Are you referring to the THEORY of evolution, as scientific FACT?

    Or the hypothesis of anthropogenic global warming as scientific FACT!

    What FACTS do you think we reject? hmmmm?
    yes the theory of evolution, just like the theory of gravity... that some people can't understand how science uses terms makes for ignorant statements.

    Scientific fact dates dna discoveries, the fossil record, earth strata shows millions of years of evolutionary progress....

    I can understand how some fear change, lament the loss of the so-called good ol' days but in truth they were good for a rather limited segment of society. I am good with them grumbling and carrying on, it makes it easy to tell who they are.

    FYI I was a grunt back in the day, soldiers obey lawful orders, not just officers. Sometimes they obey unlawful orders like My Lai, but the track record is pretty good on lawful. Given how many gays serve in the Military and many soldiers are at least gay tolerant I don't see a large segment of the guys who break things and kill people as their military job description 'crossing the picket line' for a few angry old dudes who create mayhem. A few tried that in 1861....how did that go?

  6. #746
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    yes the theory of evolution, just like the theory of gravity... that some people can't understand how science uses terms makes for ignorant statements.

    Scientific fact dates dna discoveries, the fossil record, earth strata shows millions of years of evolutionary progress....

    I can understand how some fear change, lament the loss of the so-called good ol' days but in truth they were good for a rather limited segment of society. I am good with them grumbling and carrying on, it makes it easy to tell who they are.

    FYI I was a grunt back in the day, soldiers obey lawful orders, not just officers. Sometimes they obey unlawful orders like My Lai, but the track record is pretty good on lawful. Given how many gays serve in the Military and many soldiers are at least gay tolerant I don't see a large segment of the guys who break things and kill people as their military job description 'crossing the picket line' for a few angry old dudes who create mayhem. A few tried that in 1861....how did that go?

    Oh, and mayhem is a specific crime.

    It's deliberately mutilating or maiming someone. FYI.
    Congratulations and thanks for serving. So did I. If there were gays in service in MY day, they kept it hid. A BCD awaited any discovered.

    As to 1861, the union wanted Robert E Lee to command union forces. He declined, and commanded Army of Virginia instead.

    Sort of a major..uh...general crossing the line.

    But I digress.

    do you know what punishment the union inflicted on Gen Lee after the war?


    Okay, I'll give you a hint.


    They took away his plantation and made it a graveyard for soldiers.

    So...what is the name of lee's plantation?

    Come on Americana students!
    Last edited by yobarnacle; 06-28-13 at 12:11 AM.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  7. #747
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    Oh, and mayhem is a specific crime. It's deliberately mutilating or maiming someone. FYI. Congratulations and thanks for serving. So did I. If there were gays in service in MY day, they kept it hid. A BCD awaited any discovered. As to 1861, the union wanted Robert E Lee to command union forces. He declined, and commanded Army of Virginia instead. Sort of a major..uh...general crossing the line. But I digress. do you know what punishment the union inflicted on Gen Lee after the war?
    Nice to see you skipped the scientific fact part...

    Well I didn't want to call what a few angry old guys threaten- to be revolution. And if you don't think 'revolution' is gonna mutilate or maim folks you have never been close to combat. It is a maiming and mutilating process.

    I saw where you said you served but last time we spoke you said it was a a deck jockey? Is that naval for grunt? my point is it takes more than a VFW cap to be combat effective.

    This isn't 1861 which would have been the high water mark for any 'revolutionaries' to break away or seize the government- how did that go? Not well if the Commanding General of the Southern Forces in Virginia lost his plantation to become the sacred burial ground for our war dead. (considering he could have been hung as a traitor I think General Lee and Southern President Davis, for that matter, got off lucky.)

    Now back in 1861 we tended to think of ourselves by state first, nation second, AFTER the Union crushed the South we thought of ourselves as a nation first, state second.

    Today I doubt many will cross the picket line as there is no strong state right issue here. if interracial marriage didn't spark this revolution in the 60's then SSM isn't gonna do it now...

    I predict no revolution, no rioting in the streets by whoever you think will do so...

    More like angry old guys frothing at meetings before going back to their hover rounds and oxygen tanks...

  8. #748
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Now back in 1861 we tended to think of ourselves by state first, nation second, AFTER the Union crushed the South we thought of ourselves as a nation first, state second.
    As my husband pointed out during one of our very first discussions with each other on the Civil War (on which he is a huge history nut), prior to the Civil War, people referred to our country this way "the United States are". After the Civil War, people referred to our country differently, "the United States is". This subtle change in context/grammar denotes the major change the Civil War brought to our country.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #749
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Nice to see you skipped the scientific fact part...

    Well I didn't want to call what a few angry old guys threaten- to be revolution. And if you don't think 'revolution' is gonna mutilate or maim folks you have never been close to combat. It is a maiming and mutilating process.

    I saw where you said you served but last time we spoke you said it was a a deck jockey? Is that naval for grunt? my point is it takes more than a VFW cap to be combat effective.

    This isn't 1861 which would have been the high water mark for any 'revolutionaries' to break away or seize the government- how did that go? Not well if the Commanding General of the Southern Forces in Virginia lost his plantation to become the sacred burial ground for our war dead. (considering he could have been hung as a traitor I think General Lee and Southern President Davis, for that matter, got off lucky.)

    Now back in 1861 we tended to think of ourselves by state first, nation second, AFTER the Union crushed the South we thought of ourselves as a nation first, state second.

    Today I doubt many will cross the picket line as there is no strong state right issue here. if interracial marriage didn't spark this revolution in the 60's then SSM isn't gonna do it now...

    I predict no revolution, no rioting in the streets by whoever you think will do so...

    More like angry old guys frothing at meetings before going back to their hover rounds and oxygen tanks...
    I was a twin 50 gunner on a PCF (patrol craft fast) naval squadrons 1 and 3 (riverine warfare) during Tet and Sea Lords afterward. !968-1969.

    I burned 8 tons of 50 cal ammo in that 12 months.

    Qualify in your book?
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  10. #750
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    I was a twin 50 gunner on a PCF (patrol craft fast) naval squadrons 1 and 3 (riverine warfare) during Tet and Sea Lords afterward. !968-1969.

    I burned 8 tons of 50 cal ammo in that 12 months.

    Qualify in your book?
    as an ammo burner yes, so it was you and Kerry, key-rect? I never weighed what I burned up, how do you even do that? I was a ma deuce gunner on a 113 when I first got to Germany, we never weighed our ammo.

    Now to address your rather snarky mayhem response... you agree there is rampart mayhem in revolution/war?

    The missing science facts-
    That were exists a fossil record, dna research, earth strata that are scientific facts supporting a theory, just like gravity?

    Now how about the odds of many crossing over to support whoever you think would actually conduct a revolution?

    You seem to throw a lot of vague out there, then walk away.

Page 75 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •