Page 72 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 1111

Thread: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

  1. #711
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,480

    SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Why would these couples care about societal recognition? The couples I have interacted with are strictly about the benefits...

    And the heterosexual couples you know?

    I fail to see the point of this. Are you suggesting that heterosexual couples marry for reasons other than the bennies and that homosexual couples do not? Can you back that up or your contention above with something more than anecdotes?

    And even if its true so what? Those benefits are significant.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  2. #712
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    And the heterosexual couples you know?

    I fail to see the point of this. Are you suggesting that heterosexual outlets marry for reasons other than the bennies? Can you back that up or our contention above with nothing more than anecdotes?

    And even if its true o what? Th benefits are significant.
    I'm not ware of anyone who married for the benefits provided by government, as they tend to work both ways. The usual reasons are moral ones...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #713
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by yobarnacle View Post
    No. They teach the principles the childs parents WANT taught, or the parents remove them from the school. the parents pay EXTRA for such private education. they also pay though realestate taxes for public education, whether it's of value or not.

    chafes my butt to pay for liberal teachers to preach their nonsense.
    That's ONE of the things we need to change before it's too late.
    Poe's Law is in effect.


    EDGAR ALLAN TEA PARTY - T H E* *L *E* F* T *- *W* I *N* G* **N* O* I* S* E* **M* A* C* H* I* N* E

  4. #714
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    No. Common sense.

    which is less and less common.

    and NEVER found among liberals!
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  5. #715
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,281

    Re: DOMA unconstitutional. 5-4 decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    LMAO i just listed the rights AGAIN and you are trying to ignore them, its not working nobody honest buys it, im not bitter at all im laughing at the entertainment.

    Also per the second argument of discrimination that has been heard in court and stated by judges I do not have equal rights so you are wrong yet again

    lastly your example of MOVING doesnt apply nor is it equal because others would not have to move and i would, so you fail again.

    now if you would stop dodging and explain the logic behind your inane statement that marriage will be forced, this is like the tenth time you dodged it, we are waiting lol
    You keep talking marriage rights but you have them.
    And you have all the rights anyone else has.
    Are you just complaining as a way to establish some kind of rep as a malcontent among some here?
    I guess that's it. I'll let you go now that we've made that clear.
    See you around. Be well.

  6. #716
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    What is the point of SSM, other than the obvious benefits one might gain?
    The same point of every individual OSM, for the people to be recognized as legal spouses. They benefit society in the same ways that opposite sex marriages do. They are more stable relationships than any other type. Children benefit from being raised by married parents, whether the bio parents or not. Society has someone to hold financially responsible to a degree for certain debts incurred or costs of that adult, and the person chose this voluntarily. There is an adult who has volunteered to make final decisions, such as medical decisions or burial decisions in the event there is no written directive on this from the person (something people are not required to do).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #717
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I'm not ware of anyone who married for the benefits provided by government, as they tend to work both ways. The usual reasons are moral ones...
    I married for the benefits and rights from the government since my husband and I wanted to make the commitment of marriage anyway. Why not make it legal? Why not get those benefits if we are personally planning to get the marriage?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #718
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: DOMA unconstitutional. 5-4 decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    1.)You keep talking marriage rights but you have them.
    2.)And you have all the rights anyone else has.
    3.) Are you just complaining as a way to establish some kind of rep as a malcontent among some here?
    4.)I guess that's it.
    5.) I'll let you go now that we've made that clear.
    6.)See you around. Be well.
    1.) wrong, according to the arguments presented in courts and statements made by judges that they are deciding on this is not true
    2.) also false, see 1
    3.) nope just stating facts and exposing your failed illogical post
    4.) and that would make you wrong again
    5.) good move because you lost posts ago run away instead of answering the question you dodged about ten times because it was just gonna make your posts look more silly and illogical
    6.) later, let me know the next time you need further educated on this topic or when you are brave enough to answer the question.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #719
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The same point of every individual OSM, for the people to be recognized as legal spouses. They benefit society in the same ways that opposite sex marriages do. They are more stable relationships than any other type. Children benefit from being raised by married parents, whether the bio parents or not. Society has someone to hold financially responsible to a degree for certain debts incurred or costs of that adult, and the person chose this voluntarily. There is an adult who has volunteered to make final decisions, such as medical decisions or burial decisions in the event there is no written directive on this from the person (something people are not required to do).
    You started out well but ended poorly, reverting to the benefits. BTW, no one benefits society by getting married unless society has some definition of what marriage is...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #720
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I married for the benefits and rights from the government since my husband and I wanted to make the commitment of marriage anyway. Why not make it legal? Why not get those benefits if we are personally planning to get the marriage?
    Your "benefits" work both ways. What specifics benefits did you want that could not be obtained in another way?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 72 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •