Page 54 of 112 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 1111

Thread: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

  1. #531
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post


    You can speculate all you like. Current science says there is no gay gene.
    If the doctors discovered a cure? An inoculation or a patch to wear?

    Would gays take advantage of it?
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  2. #532
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Expanding civil rights is good for everybody (except closed minded conservatives and tea party types). The Palm Springs tourist bureau is already promoting PS as a destination stop for marriage. More economic growth for California, less for Alabama!
    Like the right to own firearms?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #533
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    675

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    I find it fascinating that some find joy in the current ruling by the same organization that said it's a Constitutional right to kill unborn babies for convenience.

  4. #534
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Like the right to own firearms?
    Firearms is a RIGHT.

    gay marriage is a LEFT.

    latin for left handed is sinister.

    Therefore, gay marriage is sinister, as are all liberal ideas.
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  5. #535
    Professor
    yobarnacle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-26-14 @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,495

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by hfd View Post
    I find it fascinating that some find joy in the current ruling by the same organization that said it's a Constitutional right to kill unborn babies for convenience.
    Sometimes scotus gets it right sometimes wrong.

    Recently, scotus scrapping section of 1965 voting rights bill requiring federal approval of a few states election laws, was GOOD!

    State rights wins one!
    If you live long enough, you will live in a foreign country, because the past is foreign to the present. We lived differently then. The only constant is change!

  6. #536
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    675

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The standards of marriage have been modified to include SS couples and nothing else. Any arguments against polygamy and incest that existed before SSM are still valid now. You are making a strawman argument because you have nothing.
    Why shouldn't polygamy be legal? And again, if we are the result of millions of years of evolutionary accidents why should we legalize incest? Other animals are involved in it. They seem to do quite well.

  7. #537
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It must have been really awkward trying to type that clumsy attempt to refute the fact that anyone's sexual acts are dependent upon immutable characteristics. The Loving case is not the same because race is an immutable characteristic and because that immutable characteristic is the only thing that barred the loving marriage from being legal in the state of Virginia. In order to have a parallel, homosexuals will have to prove that homosexuality is an immutable characteristic. Good luck proving that.
    Sex, according to many, is just as immutable. You cannot compare the characteristic involved in the restriction in one case with a characteristic not actually involved in the restriction in the other. You have to compare apples to apples, and oranges to oranges. The attraction in the case of the Lovings was just an attraction to a certain type of person. The attraction in the case of Windsor/Perry was just an attraction to a certain type of person. The restriction in the law was based on race in interracial marriage bans and sex/gender in same sex marriage bans.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #538
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,363
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Right as usual

    Precedent is precedent
    Too bad there is no precedent that would count since gays and people who prefer polygamy are different.

    Kennedy's majority opinion. I guess he's citing the 5th amendment and using words like equality means something else in your world. But hey feel free to grasp onto your semantics if it makes you feel better
    Nothing he said was "marriage equality" nor would it necessarily apply to polygamists.

    You're the one who made the claim it was removed because of scientific reasons. Back it up then.
    Actually I was responding to your claim that it was political, which you have yet to offer any evidence for. Since I can actually document what I claim, unlike you, here: Homosexuality and Mental Health

    In 1973, the weight of empirical data, coupled with changing social norms and the development of a politically active gay community in the United States, led the Board of Directors of the American Psychiatric Association to remove homosexuality from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). Some psychiatrists who fiercely opposed their action subsequently circulated a petition calling for a vote on the issue by the Association's membership. That vote was held in 1974, and the Board's decision was ratified.
    You can speculate all you like. Current science says there is no gay gene.
    No, that is just stupidly wrong. We do not, for example, know what exactly caused life to start and begin down the path of evolution. That does not mean life did not start, which is exactly what your argument is. Not knowing what factors cause something does not mean those factors do not exist. You can say that there is no known gay gene and you would be exactly correct, but you cannot say there is no gay gene without being laughably wrong.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #539
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,142

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by hfd View Post
    I find it fascinating that some find joy in the current ruling by the same organization that said it's a Constitutional right to kill unborn babies for convenience.
    This is why I no longer follow a party platform. I now prefer to deal with individual issues instead.
    I have CDO, it's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

  10. #540
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,363
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by hfd View Post
    I find it fascinating that some find joy in the current ruling by the same organization that said it's a Constitutional right to kill unborn babies for convenience.
    I find it fascinating that some people bring fetuses up in every discussion. Have to start carrying a coat hanger around to every thread...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •