Page 45 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 1111

Thread: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

  1. #441
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You were the one arguing that polygamy was "wide spread".
    I did not bring it up, I responded to your claim that it was not. It is completely subjective and relative.
    I agree with you that your argument was purely subjective, which means that could never be anything but a pissing match. It make a good introduction to the point that polygamy has a much more "widespread" history than homosexual marriage, though.
    It is pointless....but go on...



    We saw how this worked with homosexual marriage.
    Huh? SSM was not based on religious argument. Try and apply your response to the quote...OK?



    Polygamy is a more tried and true marital model than homosexual marriage.
    No, it is NOT, which is why it was outlawed....and just to note, you are getting close to admitting it was "widespread".


    It's a no-brainer that it's going to be the next challenge once homosexuals have achieved homosexual marriage in all 50 states.
    And yet you continue to fail to recognize the basis of the arguments (social v religious) and the differences that it negatively impacts heterosexual marriage. It is a strike AGAINST monogamy.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #442
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Yes, through modern technology, sex isn't necessary, but your argument predates that technology. It is and has been a choice and your argument supported that fact.
    Your argument makes no sense. Having sex is obviously a "choice". Sexual orientation isn't. Why would you deny that and what does it go to?

  3. #443
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Isn't it interesting how the touted 'libertarians' of the SC (Roberts and Thomas) voted against repealing DOMA.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  4. #444
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    And that is the real dilemma for the "equal rights"/discrimination argument. You can't prove that sexual acts are dependent upon immutable characteristics.
    Sexual orientation has to do with identity and is basically established by the time you enter puberty. It has a genetic and environmental component. It is no more a choice than saying lefthandedness is.

  5. #445
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    And that is the real dilemma for the "equal rights"/discrimination argument. You can't prove that sexual acts are dependent upon immutable characteristics.
    Of course you can establish a characteristic by repeated actions. That is self evident.


    And just to add, our rights are not limited to "immutable characteristics", ie one can choose their religion, one can adopt a cultural identity.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 06-26-13 at 06:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #446
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Isn't it interesting how the touted 'libertarians' of the SC (Roberts and Thomas) voted against repealing DOMA.



    Interesting, but not surprising.

    They are what they are.

  7. #447
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    So homosexual men can choose to have sex with women. Fine. That means that homosexuality is a behavior and a choice rather than an immutable characteristic. Since it is not an immutable characteristic they can't be a suspect class for judicial scrutiny.
    Having sex is not actually all about attraction. Just because someone has sex with someone else, particularly with the sole intent of procreation, does not mean they are attracted to or want to be in an intimate relationship with that person. There have been several cases where straight couples have gone outside their marriage to have sex with someone (jointly agreeing to do so) in order to procreate with someone else when either the husband or wife could not produce children.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #448
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Isn't it interesting how the touted 'libertarians' of the SC (Roberts and Thomas) voted against repealing DOMA.
    It's not that surprising, if you take it as an intent to limit the expansion of government involvement into marriage.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #449
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    And that is the real dilemma for the "equal rights"/discrimination argument. You can't prove that sexual acts are dependent upon immutable characteristics.
    So you must be saying that Mr. and Mrs. Loving did not deserve the equal right to marriage as same race couples since they could have chosen to have sex with someone of their own race rather than each other.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #450
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    It's not that surprising, if you take it as an intent to limit the expansion of government involvement into marriage.
    It doesn't matter how one "takes it". It was not a limit on the expansion of govt involvement into marriage; it was a refinement in the balance between the states and the fed (with respect to marriage)
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 45 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •