Page 44 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 1111

Thread: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

  1. #431
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Not morally.
    Yes, morally. It was a good day.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #432
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Here's my prediction/paraphrase of Scalia's dissent: "Big government bad, unless, of course, it's to keep them pesky fags in their place."
    Didn't you mean caricature?

  3. #433
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Actually that's not true in the modern world for obvious reasons, but more to the point your premise that having intercourse with another gender is impossible to gays is false. If people want children they can do all sorts of things. What does that have to do with sexual orientation?
    Yes, through modern technology, sex isn't necessary, but your argument predates that technology. It is and has been a choice and your argument supported that fact.

  4. #434
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    So homosexual men can choose to have sex with women. Fine. That means that homosexuality is a behavior and a choice rather than an immutable characteristic. Since it is not an immutable characteristic they can't be a suspect class for judicial scrutiny.
    You will have a hard (snark) time showing that a sexual act is dependent upon "immutable characteristics". One act does not define oneself.


    And of course it ignores artificial insemination.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #435
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Or they can use a test tube
    My argument encompassed all species and all time, not just human species over the last 40 years or so.

  6. #436
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: DOMA unconstitutional. 5-4 decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    This is a sad day for the nation.



    I will agree that it's a sad day for the losers who want to get the government off of Wall Street's back and into every Americans bedroom.

    It's a sad day for those who want to deny other Americans the same rights that they have. They have lost, now and forever.

    For the winners, it's a happy day.




    "Better day's are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

  7. #437
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You will have a hard (snark) time showing that a sexual act is dependent upon "immutable characteristics". One act does not define oneself.
    And that is the real dilemma for the "equal rights"/discrimination argument. You can't prove that sexual acts are dependent upon immutable characteristics.

  8. #438
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    If that is true, then homosexuality is a choice; a behavior rather than an immutable characteristic.
    How do you figure this much?
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  9. #439
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,488

    SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Full Faith and Credit clause.
    As I understand it the full faith and credit clause has not ever been applied to marriage. Afaik a state can refuse to acknowledge a marriage that would not be legal in that state - for example if one of the partners is under aged under that state's laws.

    Should it apply - i think it should, but based on my limited reading it doesn't appear to.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  10. #440
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    My argument encompassed all species and all time, not just human species over the last 40 years or so.
    Not all species utilize heterosexual reproduction.

Page 44 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •