Page 39 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 1111

Thread: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

  1. #381
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    And of course, I stand opposed to some left-wingers and libertarians on this. I believe it in the interest of the country to encourage stability and healthy relationships via the government.
    So a tax break encourages stability and healthy relationships?

    If you know crap about marriage and relationships, a token check every April won't turn you into Masters and Johnson.

  2. #382
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Oh that canard.

    There are social burdens involved in polygamy (the most obvious being creditors not knowing whom to collect from for marital debt).
    No problem they don't already have and haven't already resolved.... collect from whoever has the money.

    Further, we tried polygamy (remember the bible) and it didn't work well for other reasons -- the wealthy wound up with lots of wives and the poor wound up with none -- a very volatile and unstable situation, as China is now learning due to its lack of marriageable females.
    You're going to cite the Bible as your argument against polygamy? Seriously?

    As to incest, it obviously lends itself it abusing children so that's reason enough to ban it.
    Not any more than homosexuality lends itself to abusing children. This argument has no bearing on marriage between consenting adults (like brother and sister, father and daughter, daughter and daughter, mother and son, etc. etc. etc.).

  3. #383
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,003

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Changing laws to accommodate same sex couples is only a change in the restriction. Changing laws to accommodate multiple spouses would take a complete overhaul of or at least affect our joint tax laws, our immigration laws pertaining to green cards/visas for spouses, our military dependent/spouse benefits, healthcare laws, qualifications for welfare/government assistance, housing laws, personal contracts covered by marriage, and more. These laws all operate the same for married couples, whether the spouses are a man and a woman, two men, or two women.
    So you are arguing that yes, the "right" to marry multiple people exists... but that it's just too hard to grant them the right?

    And no, it wouldn't be very hard to implement it. All you would do is apply the marriage laws to two separate marriages that happen to share one spouse.

    You mentioned bisexuals specifically. Since they are no more likely to want to be in a polygamous relationship than heterosexuals or homosexuals, then there would be no reason to single them out unless you have a misunderstanding of what being bisexual means.
    I only singled them out because the opposing argument was that polygamy is so different from gay marriage. I am pointing out that in the end the polygamist marriage is still between two people, I used the bisexual becuase their argument for polygamy would be the exact same as the argument for gay marriage as they even have a sexual justification for marrying two people.

  4. #384
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    56,135
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Oh that canard.

    There are social burdens involved in polygamy (the most obvious being creditors not knowing whom to collect from for marital debt). Further, we tried polygamy (remember the bible) and it didn't work well for other reasons -- the wealthy wound up with lots of wives and the poor wound up with none -- a very volatile and unstable situation, as China is now learning due to its lack of marriageable females.

    As to incest, it obviously lends itself it abusing children so that's reason enough to ban it.

    NEXT VAPID RIGHTWING MEME!
    Don't be so sure. When I was a young man no one could even imagine same sex marriage, let alone support it. Now it enjoys broad support and faces no impediment in federal law. There is no immediately obvious reason why plural marriage could not follow the same path from anathema to acceptance. This is not a reason to be for or against same sex marriage, but it's a reasonable speculation.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #385
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    This is true. We don't know if it's genetic or not. The good news is that if it does turn out to be genetic, then we will probably be able to cure it.
    Cure genes you consider faulty? Ah, the hidden side of RW Eugenics.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  6. #386
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Don't be so sure. When I was a young man no one could even imagine same sex marriage, let alone support it. Now it enjoys broad support and faces no impediment in federal law. There is no immediately obvious reason why plural marriage could not follow the same path from anathema to acceptance. This is not a reason to be for or against same sex marriage, but it's a reasonable speculation.
    It's true. 40 years ago, there was no concept of "gay marriage" at all. Gay marriage was the logical equivalent of "dry water". Only recently has the idea been marketed to us that two homosexuals should be allowed to mimic marriage with a marriage equivalent and only more recently than that was it sold to us that it must actually be considered to be the exact same thing. So there's no telling where this will go and to say it can't go anywhere else is just disingenuous.

  7. #387
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,292

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Good. Now that equality and love has taken over, now we can start once again encouraging a positive marriage culture for straight people and gay people.
    Wouldn't it be nice if after this marriage actually became important again, a big step in a person's life, an ever after commitment to one person until death do they part?

    Unfortunately, in the "me-now" society in which we live, getting out of a commitment you no longer want to honor has become as easy as changing your car.

    Why not make it harder to get out of marriage so that it's not so inconsequential to get into marriage in the first place?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #388
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,085

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    So a tax break encourages stability and healthy relationships?

    If you know crap about marriage and relationships, a token check every April won't turn you into Masters and Johnson.
    Well, I wonder what all of the fuss is about, then, Gipper. Is it really only about a paycheck?
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #389
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,292

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Don't be so sure. When I was a young man no one could even imagine same sex marriage, let alone support it. Now it enjoys broad support and faces no impediment in federal law. There is no immediately obvious reason why plural marriage could not follow the same path from anathema to acceptance. This is not a reason to be for or against same sex marriage, but it's a reasonable speculation.
    Good afternoon 2M - always amazes me how some people can only see about 2 inches in front of their noses when considering the impact of their or other's actions.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #390
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: SCOTUS blog: DOMA Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    Cure genes you consider faulty? Ah, the hidden side of RW Eugenics.
    If the gay gene is discovered, trust me.... parents will be very happy if they could be sure their children wouldn't end up being homosexuals. Few parents hope they'll never have grandchildren. And why wouldn't it be good to eliminate this problem? It's an affliction that homosexuals say they have no control over and if parents could assure their children would never have this affliction, that would be good, right?

Page 39 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •