Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 277

Thread: Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

  1. #101
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Really?

    Talk about off ****in' topic......
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Really?

    Discussing the premise if the OP is off topic?
    Moderator's Warning:
    If you feel something is off topic, report it. Making an unquestionable off topic post to attempt to call it out is baiting. Additionally, if someone baits you report it, responding in kind just furthers derailment. Stop it

  2. #102
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,512

    Re: Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    You and I know what they're up to Woodman ... the GOP knows it is in trouble given the demographic changes that are taking place -- voter suppression is one of the few choices they have ... Texas's voter I.D. law was barred by a federal court in 2012 because it would curtail the ability of minorities to vote, but now they can proceed ... we'll see how all this plays out in the long run ... I think the GOP is being shortsighted ...
    I believe what's really at stake, here, is that the Libbos are scared ****less that black folks will find out that life without Sections 4 and 5 is just like life before them. At the end of the day, they will figure out that they can exercise their rights by their own volition just as easily as they did with the Libbos, "looking out for their best interests".

    The last thing that the Libbos want to see, is an uppity Uncle Tom, "symbolic Jew inviting a metaphorical Hitler to commit genocide", leading blacks out of the black hole of fear and disinformation that the Libbos have created for them.

    The worst thing that could ever happen to the Libbos, would be for us to pull ourselves up by our boot straps, start thinking for ourselves and making our own way in the world, without the crutches provided by the Libbo do-gooders.

    I find it particularly insulting that so many Libbos believe that blacks can't make it on their own and have an infinite need for the Libbos to protect them, since in my whole life, I've never collected welfare and I've never been unemployed at any time during my adult life. Those facts are especially telling, since so many Libbos like to go on about how stupid I must be-- I made a typo in the OP--yet even as stupid as I am, I'm able to get along without their help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    For most of our history laws favored whites. so we passed laws, executive orders were issued, and the Sup. Ct. rendered decisions to change that, i.e., we took steps to end de jure or legal segregation and other forms of discrimination. But because the harm was so great for so long, we took steps to remedy past wrongs the effects of which are still felt today. For example, when you deny blacks education, access to the best jobs, etc., that's a disadvantage that is passed on to the next generations, just as advantage is. So, let's take affirmative action ... it was a response to institutional racism and it required employers to take extra steps to make sure they got a good pool of minority and female applicants ... in the end, the best candidates got the position. As far as voting was concerned, the feds took steps (remember, this was renewed several times, the last time in 2006 - bipartisan support) to ensure that certain states were not doing anything to prevent blacks from voting. There was evidence that some were, which is why certain areas were targeted ... in fact, more recently, Texas tried to pass a law that would have a disparate impact on Latinos in the state (it would prevent 10% of Latinos from voting and only 4% of whites from voting) and the feds stopped them ... but now they can go ahead with it ... Does this help? It was a little rushed, but I hope it does ...
    Yes, it did help. thanks, though I still believe its wrong.

    Martin Luther King Jr. said that we should judge a person by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin, and he was right. If a Black person cannot compete in today's world then it's because they, like many many others, have become accustomed to handouts, or their families have disintegrated, or they are treated as being less than equal. Broken familes and handouts have destroyed many families of every race and background.

    But it is an insult to Black people that since their grandparents were treated despicably they should get treated differently today. Many of our ancestors experienced difficulties (though none as bad as slavery admittedly) but the third generation recovered. It is that "soft bigotry of low expectations" that has come to define the liberal attitudes toward an entire race of people. Treat people as second class and you'll get a resentful people. Treat them as the equals they are and you'll get a proud people.

  4. #104
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,314

    Re: Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    For most of our history laws favored whites. so we passed laws, executive
    orders were issued, and the Sup. Ct. rendered decisions to change that, i.e., we took steps to end de jure or legal segregation and other forms of discrimination. But because the harm was so great for so long, we took steps to remedy past wrongs the effects of which are still felt today. For example, when you deny blacks education, access to the best jobs, etc., that's a disadvantage that is passed on to the next generations, just as advantage is. So, let's take affirmative action ... it was a response to institutional racism and it required employers to take extra steps to make sure they got a good pool of minority and female applicants ... in the end, the best candidates got the position. As far as voting was concerned, the feds took steps (remember, this was renewed several times, the last time in 2006 - bipartisan support) to ensure that certain states were not doing anything to prevent blacks from voting. There was evidence that some were, which is why certain areas were targeted ... in fact, more recently, Texas tried to pass a law that would have a disparate impact on Latinos in the state (it would prevent 10% of Latinos from voting and only 4% of whites from voting) and the feds stopped them ... but now they can go ahead with it ... Does this help? It was a little rushed, but I hope it does ...
    Wrong...again.

    The Tecas voter ID act simply requires American Citizens to prove their identity.

    If your'e tok stupid to acquire a a State ID then you shouldn't be voting.

  5. #105
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,512

    Re: Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    For most of our history laws favored whites. so we passed laws, executive orders were issued, and the Sup. Ct. rendered decisions to change that, i.e., we took steps to end de jure or legal segregation and other forms of discrimination. But because the harm was so great for so long, we took steps to remedy past wrongs the effects of which are still felt today. For example, when you deny blacks education, access to the best jobs, etc., that's a disadvantage that is passed on to the next generations, just as advantage is. So, let's take affirmative action ... it was a response to institutional racism and it required employers to take extra steps to make sure they got a good pool of minority and female applicants ... in the end, the best candidates got the position. As far as voting was concerned, the feds took steps (remember, this was renewed several times, the last time in 2006 - bipartisan support) to ensure that certain states were not doing anything to prevent blacks from voting. There was evidence that some were, which is why certain areas were targeted ... in fact, more recently, Texas tried to pass a law that would have a disparate impact on Latinos in the state (it would prevent 10% of Latinos from voting and only 4% of whites from voting) and the feds stopped them ... but now they can go ahead with it ... Does this help? It was a little rushed, but I hope it does ...
    Obiously there were laws passed in America that were racist, but they were a very small minority of all the laws passed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Southwest AZ
    Last Seen
    08-12-17 @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,285

    Re: Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    I did ... you're just not getting it ... I can't help that ... have a good one ... (BTW, did you know it's easier to buy a gun than to vote? Crazy world, isn't it?)
    not if you live in NJ. you can wait 15 months before they decide to even look at your application... for a firearm.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I believe what's really at stake, here, is that the Libbos are scared ****less that black folks will find out that life without Sections 4 and 5 is just like life before them. At the end of the day, they will figure out that they can exercise their rights by their own volition just as easily as they did with the Libbos, "looking out for their best interests".

    The last thing that the Libbos want to see, is an uppity Uncle Tom, "symbolic Jew inviting a metaphorical Hitler to commit genocide", leading blacks out of the black hole of fear and disinformation that the Libbos have created for them.

    The worst thing that could ever happen to the Libbos, would be for us to pull ourselves up by our boot straps, start thinking for ourselves and making our own way in the world, without the crutches provided by the Libbo do-gooders.

    I find it particularly insulting that so many Libbos believe that blacks can't make it on their own and have an infinite need for the Libbos to protect them, since in my whole life, I've never collected welfare and I've never been unemployed at any time during my adult life. Those facts are especially telling, since so many Libbos like to go on about how stupid I must be-- I made a typo in the OP--yet even as stupid as I am, I'm able to get along without their help.
    Dam ... did you miss the mark! If you had been diving, you would've missed the water. Libbos don't believe what you attribute to them, but if it helps you to build a strawman, go for it ... and, trust me, you've gotten A LOT of help from libbos my friend ... Was Bull Connor a libbo? Strom Thurmond a libbo? As long as you and other cons continue down the road you're on (voter suppression, gutting the voting rights act), libbos have nothing to worry about ...

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes, it did help. thanks, though I still believe its wrong.

    Martin Luther King Jr. said that we should judge a person by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin, and he was right. If a Black person cannot compete in today's world then it's because they, like many many others, have become accustomed to handouts, or their families have disintegrated, or they are treated as being less than equal. Broken familes and handouts have destroyed many families of every race and background.

    But it is an insult to Black people that since their grandparents were treated despicably they should get treated differently today. Many of our ancestors experienced difficulties (though none as bad as slavery admittedly) but the third generation recovered. It is that "soft bigotry of low expectations" that has come to define the liberal attitudes toward an entire race of people. Treat people as second class and you'll get a resentful people. Treat them as the equals they are and you'll get a proud people.
    Do you really believe MLK would be on your side on this? Please tell me you don't ...

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Wrong...again.

    The Tecas voter ID act simply requires American Citizens to prove their identity.

    If your'e tok stupid to acquire a a State ID then you shouldn't be voting.
    Fen, I'm afraid there's no hope for you ... this stuff just goes over your head no matter how hard I try to lower it for you ...

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Democratic lawmaker hits justice as ‘Uncle Thomas’

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Obiously there were laws passed in America that were racist, but they were a very small minority of all the laws passed.
    either you went to bad schools or you were absent a lot ... we had slavery, then Jim Crow, followed by de facto segregation and yet you make it sound so insignificant in our history ... amazing ...

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •